Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the GO map upgrades
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the GO map upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said before in the forums, TomTom's server got wiped out when the Go version 5 software download was made available, and that's considerably smaller than a whole country map.

The new Plus maps are larger than the old country specific maps - the cost of hosting thousands of 150-300MByte downloads is not cheap.

A CD based upgrade for single countries may make sense, but I suspect TomTom are thinking that most people are going to need a larger memory card, so they've opted for selling the map update on a suitably large SD card with, presumably, the software update installed as well. The saving on support costs by doing this is likely to be substantial, and not all Go users will have a computer.

David
tonybee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the site and in addition to the 79 euros stated, is another 10 euros p & p/handling charge. It is not until the very end of the order process that this charge is stated. (I haven't ordered).

While this may not be illegal it is certainly immoral, the reason being that there is no way round this charge as the product is, as far as I know, not available by visiting TomTom in person to collect it.

In this case the FULL charge, including all taxes, handling charge, etc. etc. should be stated as the price for the product.

I do realise that TomTom are not alone in this respect but it still doesn't make it acceptable.

Rant over, (for now)

Tony
Jayuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ordered ok with no problems...Lets hope the delivery is as smooth 8)
CharlieK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news for those like me who have lost their product codes when they ripped open the box on day 1.. and proof of purchase which TomTom need to send them to you.

PC World have got back in touch as say that if I walk into any store with ID and the card you bought it on - they can reproduce the till receipt there and then. As Kingfisher own the group - I assume this applies to Dixons and Currys as well -

Thanks for all the info over the last few months GPS team - really is appreciated!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
A CD based upgrade for single countries may make sense, but I suspect TomTom are thinking that most people are going to need a larger memory card, so they've opted for selling the map update on a suitably large SD card with, presumably, the software update installed as well. The saving on support costs by doing this is likely to be substantial, and not all Go users will have a computer.

The TomTom GO has been marketed as Plug and GO. When I was talking to the TomTom Sales team the concept of GO is that you do not need to be a computer owner to use it. Therefore the assumption has been made that if you are upgrading a single country you may not have a computer, and also that plugging the SD card in will reduce support calls from users who dont have computers, have the wrong cables. are not able to copy the CD data etc. It is just a plug and go solution.

On the other hand to already have the Maps of Western Europe you must already have a computer and the correct cabling etc set up as the original MWE would not work.
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Fascinating hearing all the differing concerns and problems revolving around the issue of the new maps. But here is a new one. I placed an order on the launch day for a UK upgrade. I observed it may take 5 weeks to deliver (why on earth five weeks I don’t know) but to date, 5 days later it is still shown as “warehouse”. Surely if you launch a product you do so when you have sufficient stocks to meet potential demand. I am sure someone will have a good reason why this is the case. In the mean time I will keep an eye on my credit card account to see if the transaction is passed before dispatch.
MrPloppy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlieK wrote:
I assume this applies to Dixons and Currys as well -

...and Comet!
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mow for your information,

I also ordered the Maps Of Western europe on day1, and TOMTOM told me the package was sent yesterday ... and status is still "Warehouse".

so that status is not really up to date ... since should be "Sent".
Adewton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Tom Tom upgrade Reply with quote

I tried to buy the CD but TT website offered to sell the more expensive SD card. Please could you tell me how to go about it. Thanks
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone received their new UK maps on CD yet? I've just ordered mine today (Sat 30th April) and would like to get some idea of how long I may have to wait. Sad

I must say I would rather have been able to download the new maps and use them straight away, and I don't need a new SD card either. Crying or Very sad
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops I meant SD not CD. I would have preferred CD especially as it should be cheaper and I don't need another SD card.
robinwalton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: How long do TomTom take to deliver UK maps on SD card Reply with quote

As you can see I am a beginner in this forum, I've just realised that there's a 'Notify me when a reply is posted' tick box. I'm just adding this post so that I can be notified.
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: How long do TomTom take to deliver UK maps on SD card Reply with quote

robinwalton wrote:
As you can see I am a beginner in this forum, I've just realised that there's a 'Notify me when a reply is posted' tick box. I'm just adding this post so that I can be notified.

You can also click the watch this topic link just below the last post.
billClinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: How long do TomTom take to deliver UK maps on SD card Reply with quote

My first post Rolling Eyes - just wanted to say a huge thank you to every one contributing and to the brilliant hard working moderators, been on the side-lines for a while so I thought I'd put my two cents worth in :D

Waiting for product code as chucked some things by mistake Embarassed , so could take literally a month before the SD is up and running on my trusty GO (Classic now!!).
crowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered on 26h April. UK maps.
Still at 'warehouse' stage.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 7 of 22

Jump to: