Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is GPS that great???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is GPS that great???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Is GPS that great??? Reply with quote

hi there,
borrowed my friends navman bluetooth gps setup this weekend using tomtom, and noticed it kept on losing gps position. I was in the country driving down lovley lanes with leafy trees either side, but there was also not a cloud in the sky. I also did a little test today, and was walking around covent garden, and not being able to get a lock at all. the sat strength was appearing as gray bars, but could not get a lock at all.
I know that gps can be a bit tempremental, but i did not know it could be this level. As this was my first play with gps, i feel a bit disheartened, as i was expecting a miracle product to stop me getting lost ever again. - Oh and dont get me started on the map inaccuracies!!!!!
Am I being too harsh? Is this new SiRF III chipset that i have seen people mention going to stop this?
I really want to like it and get one myself, but i am now in 2 minds about it.

thanks all

nickb
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick

GPS can sometimes be tempremental in cities with tall buildings. The new SiRF III receivers go a long way to help this but will never be perfect when faced with a narrow alleyway and no clear view of the sky.

Having said that the older GPS SiRFII and those with XTrac should still work well certainly down country lanes. The cloud cover is not a factor in the strength of the signal, but the leaf coverage can be. What GPS were you using? Some can be more sensitive than others, but in the years that I have been using GPS I have only rarely had problems, and those were mainly in the early days or in cities where there are lots of small alleys and tall buildings.
nickb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Mike,
thanks for the reply. The unit I believe is the navman 4400 (looking at the ic number). It was also using tomtom software, but it seems to me like a gps issue rather than a software one.

thanks

nickb
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent actually used the 4400 myself so cant comment on the sensitivity of the unit. I would be suprised at drop outs just going through leafy lanes though.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Navman BT receiver seems very sensitive, once it has a healthy lock on several sats it manages to keep it even whilst placed in the centre console pocket of the car.
Even if it should lose the lock, when going under a bridge or heavy foliage, it picks them up again very quickly.

I dont think you have given it the justice it deserves. Borrow it again sometime and give it another chance.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Rev-Max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres always the trusty A-Z and the missus giving you instructions too late !

Go for it Smile
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev-Max wrote:
Theres always the trusty A-Z and the missus giving you instructions too late !

I know which one I prefer, fortunately my wife doesnt read this forum :D
nickb23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. I have got it till next weekend, so i will have another play around

Nick
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tip about getting a fix in the city is to go somewhere reasonably open and let the GPS get a strong fix. It will then be able to retain a fix better when you move to areas of lesser signal strength.
slipknot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth it??????

I do lots of driving to all parts of the coutry as a truck driver. Apart from a couple of dodgy routings (not good) and addresses which dont show up until you get right by them, it has been a godsend. (Routed me to a street in Garston, Liverpool instead of the city centre street with the same name)... but then I should have checked myself so cant really blame the kit!

The maps have stayed firmly in the bag.... but generally..... never leave your maps at home just in case... always have an idea where u are going.... and if all else fails, revert to the old method... stop and ask Laughing

Best £300 ever spent!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: