Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Out of Memory on Tungsten T5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Out of Memory on Tungsten T5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bellbrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Out of Memory on Tungsten T5 Reply with quote

I know there are a few threads around on the out of memory problems, however, they all seem to suggest that you need 8, 10, 12MB of free memory to run mapsonic.

I have the maps loaded onto flash and the app in memory. I have over 40MB of free memory and over 40MB of free flash. I am still continually getting out of memory errors.

The only way to recover seems to be to do a soft reset. On doing this, I lose various settings within mapsonic, the most annoying being the proximity warnings for the POIs - these all get switched off.

I am running version 2.5.2 (2.5 with the latest patch). I have tried things like powerrun to no avail.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to improve tha stability of this solution? When it works it seems to be great, but it does grind to a halt in the middle of journeys from time to time - and this is normally proceeded by corruption of the sound for a couple of announcements then it crashes.

Any help most welcome.

Thanks.

b.
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth trying to create/load a smaller map just to eliminate this as a possibility.

But, I think you best to contact ViaMichelin, as it may well be that they programmed the software for 32Mb PDA's, so may have been caught out by larger memory models, and they may have or be in the process of producing a patch for this !

I do sympathise, as I was annoyed to have memory problems with 10Mb free, with 40Mb free I would be climbing the wall :-)

The ViaMichelin website is a bit cryptic, but the contact us page is at:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/controller/contact?ct=6

Or you can email them direct at pda-uk@viamichelin.com
bellbrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblackmore - thanks for the reply.

I have sent amail off to the address you posted, summarising my problems, we'll see if I get a response.

b.
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is the case of designing software for 32mb models have you tried filling say 9mb of your memory so the software thinks you have around 31meg free?
bellbrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matty - had more memory filled, but have been gradually freeing up space to see if it makes a difference - and it hasn't so far.

Also tried different map sizes, but nothing really small - they are all around 100M or so on flash - perhaps thats the problem.

b.
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found with my 16mb PDA I have to keep map size under 80Mb to avoid problems, so it is probably worth trying a small map just to eliminate this as a possibility !

Hopefully you will get a response from viamichelin
bellbrie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably worth saying that I have now upgraded to the 3.0 version. Have run it for a couple of days now on the T5 with no memory problems.

I was even confident enough to put the 128MB Great Britain map back into flash and spent yesterday running around with that. No out of memeory errors or other crashes - so looking good so far.

Will let you know if anything horrible happens.

b.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: