Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT2 USA Problems- address lookup, POI lookup, slow tracking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT2 USA Problems- address lookup, POI lookup, slow tracking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: TT2 USA Problems- address lookup, POI lookup, slow tracking Reply with quote

I am using TT2 USA on an iPaq 4150 with a 512mb SD card and am having a few problems that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

-When mapping or navigating from an address in my contacts TT sometimes totally mangles the address putting me nowhere near where the address is. For example I have a friend that lives on Venice Blvd. in Los Angeles - I click on navigate to from the contacts and even though it gives me the TT screen with the info when I go to map it it takes me to the other side of Los Angeles nowhere near Venice Blvd.. I have tried reformatting the address many different ways but nothing helps.

-When trying to lookup a POI from the TT database (or even a city when inputting an address) the program is very very slow. I can type in the first 2 or maybe 3 letters and it will hang for over a minute while it searches. When it finally comes up it will hang for another mintue or two if I add or delete a letter. This makes going through the POI database almost useless due to the time to find something.

-Lastly, the tracking on the navigation screen seems to be running very slowly. Basically like my position noted on screen is about 5 seconds behind what my actual position is. This makes like a constant game of catchup.

Any help on these issues would be appreciated. Note I do not have many programs installed on the PPC. Only PocketMac and the theme that goes with it. Also the SD card is a SanDisk Ultra II (so it should be fast). I do currently have about 200mb of photos (about 1mb each) on the card - could that be slowing it down? I am going to delete them this afternoon to see if that helps anything. Thanks!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scotes,

Scotes wrote:
SD card is a SanDisk Ultra II (so it should be fast).

Do you mean Scandisk? If so then that could well be the trouble. There are a lot of people on this forum who have had bad experiences with Scandisk SD cards – even the fast ones. Sad

Do you have access to another make of SD card? If you do, give it a try. Changing your SD card may fix most, if not all of your problems. Thumbs Up

Do you use a POI for contacts? Once you’ve pinpointed the address you can create your own POIs in an OV2 file and store all of your Friends and Family in one, business contacts in another, etc. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Scotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

The company is SanDisk (not ScanDisk) and I have noted that a number of people have had some problems with the cheaper cards. I had not heard of people having problems with the faster cards. I don't currently have access to another card but will probably pick up a Panasonic 512mb card soon - I hear they are about the best you can get. I do swap the card between my camera and the PPC and it works no problem in the camera.

With respect to the POIs I have set in memory some locations that I frequently use - though to input all of my contacts would not be practical. Hence the abilty to interface with the address book is a very important feature. Mind you I have the iPaq Navigation software as well and it handles this task flawlessly.

Are the problems I have described normal or things that can be fixed?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scotes,

Panasonic have a reputation for good cards for PDA use. Some cards that give poor results in a PDA will work very well in devices such as cameras, etc.

I do not have a copy of TTNav2 for the USA, but I have used online maps like MultiMap to give me longitude and latitude to give me the Postcode for my POI file.

At the moment I still believe that your problems are likely to be due to the SD card and thus easily fixed, unfortunately this means having to spend some dollars. However I may be wrong so if you can, borrow one for a while for testing purposes.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Scotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went out and picked up a Panasonic 256mb SD card today (I was planning on getting another SD anyway and right now they are running a rebate on them). I moved my CA_NV map over and still the same problems - it can not map some addresses correctly and the POI lookup is uselessly slow. To give an example, if I want to look up "Macy's" as soon as I input "mac" the PPC hangs for a minutes or so and I get the twirling rainbow in the middle. Once it finally stops as soon as I input or delete a letter it does it again - meaing it takes almost 3 more minutes to get the "cy's" inputted. So it does not seem the SD card is the problem. I will however try loading just the CA map to see if that helps matters but it seems to me something is wrong.

Does anyone else have any problems like these???
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scotes,

Can you post your full set-up and program versions? I.e.:
IPAQ 4150 (WM2003) ROM x.xx
TTNav
TT GPS Driver
GPS Receiver
Other programs installed.

The latest version of TTNav2 is 2.24. If you don’t have TTNav2.24 then it can be downloaded from the TomTom website, here.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Scotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

I don't have the unit handy right now but I am using an h4150 with ROM vr 1.0 (haven't updated it yet b/c I think it wipes everything and I have to go reinstall everything), TT GPS vr 2.08 (I think) with the uninstall once trick to be able to allow 3rd party GPS to see the TT BT GPS receiver. The TT BT GPS unit is one of the newer units (that now have the SiRF (?) label on the bottom). Originally I was using it w/o the cradle but now I have in semi-permantantly installed with the TT cradle. I am using TT Nav 2.24.

I called Jason over at TT's USA service site (who I must say has been very helpful) and went over some of these issues. As for the improper navigation from the address book it may be a TeleAtlas issue with roads that cross town boundries sometimes changing and sometimes not changing numbering conventions but maintain the same name - something Venice Blvd. in Sother California does. Interestingly there are two Venice Blvd.s in the street list if I try to navigate directly from it from within TT - picking the wrong one puts me where I end up going from the contacts and picking the odd one puts me where I want to be. The iPaq Nav software handles the address fine but this may only be due to its use of the Navtech maps. I unfotunately don't know anyone else local with any other PPC nav programs to try this on another program using TeleAtlas maps.

As for the slow POI lookup Jason suggested reformatting the SD card. I am currently using the factory format (did on both cards) and Jason said that sometimes thee end up being a little dodgy. I will give this a try. Another variable may be the PocketMac theme installed as it hacks the menu bar. Whether the case or not I will give a try with it not installed (or at least running as it requires a soft reset to run it if I quit it). Oh and other than the POcketMac software the only other non-standard program I have if the iPaq Nav software - must faster on the POI lookup though the databases seem the same though overall I feel nowhere near as good an interface. Thanks!

Vince

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: