Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO920T battery replacement
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO920T battery replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: GO920T battery replacement Reply with quote

Hi
Had a good look through the threads on here re battery replacement but they are getting a bit old now hence 2 questions -

Is there a current tried and tested / recommended extended life battery now or do I stick with a straight 1300mah replacement and .....

Is there a recommended source for these? Amazon etc list from £6.99 to £20 but batteries all look the same to me just that some may come with vids and tools which I already have. Just don't want a dud ( ish ) battery being sent.

Thank you.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stick with a one-for-one 1300mA replacement.... just in case anything more stresses the charging circuitry.

As for price, do it like getting tradesmen? Don't pick the cheapest or most expensive, but choose one you like the sound of in the middle? Laughing
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used this seller below for a TT One v4 and TT go520 batts. Both are working fine after several months since I fitted them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1300mAh-Battery-For-TomTom-Go-920-Go-920T-Go-XL330-Go-XL330S-/150974318144?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2326c54640

Edit: Delivery took about 5 days.
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had already ordered from MDSbattery.co.uk but thank you any way.

Must say, delivery was pretty damn quick.

Following no little amount of tentativeness and more than a little shaking of my poor old hands new battery now fitted. Pretty easy really. Didn't need to disconnect the ribbon etc. magnetic torx helped no end. Levering out the old battery is certainly not a job for the faint hearted but I got there in the end. hair dryer didn't seem to help much.

Trusty old 920 is now holding a charge like new and more importantly the thing still works!! Shocked I must try and look after this battery - run it down regularly etc and not just throw it in the drawer to discharge.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
I must try and look after this battery - run it down regularly etc and not just throw it in the drawer to discharge.

If it is like the one in the ebay picture, you should keep it charged up, as they like it better that way. NiCd was the type that needed discharging, the new ones are best kept charged. (If you are able to get them to about 60% charge and then not have any power drain, that's best for long term storage, but otherwise just keep it topped up.)
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Hectorsgaf wrote:
I must try and look after this battery - run it down regularly etc and not just throw it in the drawer to discharge.

If it is like the one in the ebay picture, you should keep it charged up, as they like it better that way. NiCd was the type that needed discharging, the new ones are best kept charged. (If you are able to get them to about 60% charge and then not have any power drain, that's best for long term storage, but otherwise just keep it topped up.)

Understood. Thank you for that. No probs then just leaving it in cradle charging on computer when not being used?

This is the one I got
http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/productprofile.asp?ProductGroupID=2741
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cradle is fine - I wish I could do that with mine...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: