Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost all favourites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost all favourites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Lost all favourites Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Got a problem, don't know if it can be fixed.

I left my Tom Tom in the car in the cold weather. It is 2 years old and the battery went dead flat, when I put power to it, it turned on but I have lost all my favourites, home setting and recent journeys. It has saved the opening message that I had typed in.

Is there a way to get them back or are they gone? i tried the reset button, it did nothing, didn't bring back old favourites or get rid of a new one I had added last night.

Thanks in advance.

Simon
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a backup of some sort, then you have probably lost them. Sad But someone else will be along in a bit and both prove me wrong and get them back for you, but I don't think that either of us should hold our breaths about this Very Happy
siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess as much, but fingers crossed.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds odd. Are you sure you did nothing but feed it with electricity? You didn't take a long overdue map update or new map? Have you got more than one map on it and are you still on the map you last used or have you switched maps?

We have several gurus on here who might have more ideas, but first you need to post details of your device - what model is it?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, It is a Tom Tom 520, just over two years old. I have not updated the maps. I tired to turn it on, did nothing. Plugged car charger in then turned on, then found as described above.

It worked fine a week ago but sat in the car in sub zero temps for a good while. Was not sub zero when I first tried to turn it on.

Not backed up anywhere Embarassed

Thanks.

Simon
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you got a desktop charger for it? It could really do with getting a full charge to let it think about recovering itself.

When you got it two years ago you did a backup (guided by MikeAlder I think). But I suppose you haven't done another since then?

siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cars cigarette lighter is permanent feed so left it charging since 11.30 last night. Fingers crossed.

Not backed up since new and 2 lap tops down the line since then.

Simon
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's see how it goes with a full charge.

In the meantime, please at least learn TWO lessons from this

1. I have at least a dozen separate backups of my 520 for 2010. If/when you get back up and running, please make sure to backup right away, then repeat fresh backups at reasonable intervals - maybe monthly. That is backups done using Windows Explorer. If you're a frequent laptop changer, do the backup/s to a decent size memory stick (or two, or three), or to a rewriteable CD.

2. Don't leave it in the car. Not for the temperature, but for security. Maybe you lock the car in the Bank of England vaults overnight, but if you are not in the habit of taking the 520 out whenever you leave the car, one of these days you're going to come back and find a busted window and no Satnav. They are easy instant cash for any passing lout.

siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 hours charging and all gone still.

Worth asking but gonna have to try to build them up again, Laughing Out Loud.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling the cold temperature and the completely flattened battery are red herrings, I reckon it's much more likely to be a simple TomTom "glitch".

This is because your Favourites are saved to a file on the internal memory or SD card long before the device is even turned off.
The relevant file is called 'MapSettings.cfg' (or as Dennis keeps having to remind me - 'mapsettings.cfg' Laughing ) and it's stored inside the map folder for your currently selected map.

But if the system has ANY trouble reading it again on startup, then it just throws it away and creates a fresh new copy.
Many's the time I have found my MapSettings.cfg has just rewritten itself for no apparent reason (on several different TomToms). Usually it just loses SOME info. such as my POI warning settings, but sometimes it loses more.

A good backup is the ONLY solution.

In fact, as well as backups stored on my PC, I ALSO keep a master copy of my MapSettings.cfg file on the TomTom itself
That means if I am away from home, I can still recover my Favourites and settings so long as I can get access to ANY PC (and the right cable!)

You can store a copy of the file anywhere outside the map folder and it will just be ignored. Copy it back into the map folder(overwriting the fresh one, whenever you need it.

But having said that.... I have also noticed over the years that a MapSettings.cg file that I have copied over after a map or software update (to retain my settings etc) is often FAR more "flaky" and prone to failure.
Sometimes for a new software it's best to just bite the bullet and re-do all the settings afresh into the fresh file.
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
...as well as backups stored on my PC, I ALSO keep a master copy of my MapSettings.cfg file on the TomTom itself
That means if I am away from home, I can still recover my Favourites and settings so long as I can get access to ANY PC (and the right cable!)...

I do the same.

I have noticed that if my TomTom V1 doesn't shut down correctly (black screen but backlight is still on) and then runs the battery down, the MapSettings.cfg is corrupted.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as doing backups, I'd also suggest not relying on the Favourites function and keeping them in a POI category called eg "_Favourites". The underscore will put them at the top of the list. They will be kept in their own file and are not as susceptible to TomTom glitches that wipe the mapsettings.cfg file.

Gerry
Siddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tt730 loses it favs when it goes flat. I also find if you turn it off and bluetooth was on it drops power quicker.

Got new battery to fit came with little tool kit, need to do it as the nagging is hurting more from her indoors,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: