Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcode Search and TT3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcode Search and TT3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainady
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Postcode Search and TT3 Reply with quote

I had the Richard Davies Postcode Search on my TomTom 2 and it worked like a dream.
But I upgraded to TomTom 3 (hard reboot and reinstall) and when I try to install the software nothing happens.
Does that Postcode search only work with TT2 or am I doing something wrong. I know TT3 has the postcode search but the previous software was so good, I would love to use it again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of the Richard Davies Postcode Search personally but I can highly recommend this free add-on, used by many on these forums and works like a dream also on either TTN2 or 3.

www.digitools.co.uk

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
rainady
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I will give that a try.

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKPostCode (www.digitools.co.uk) is the one to use nowadays, Niels has extracted the entire UK Post Code database, compressed it and authored a superb plug-in that hooks into TomTom. It's one of those 'must have's' if you have TTN2 or TTN3.
rainady
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to install the software bbut for some reason it just doesnt install.

When I run setup.exe it opens the add remove window and I think its not recognising the software.
Im using an IPAQ 1940.

The same software seemed to work fine when I had previously installed TT2. Its only when I hard rebooted and installed TT3.

Any ideas?????

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just as easy to do it manually. If you have already installed CheckPOInt for Safety Camera alerts then you can ignore step 1.

1. Download the 'TomTom Interface install Package. Extract the 'TTNControl.arm.cab' file and copy this to the My Documents Folder on your PPC. Using File Explorer on the PPC, locate this .cab file and double tap to install it. The .cab file will self delete following installation.

2. Again using File Explorer create a folder on your storage card called 'UKPostCode'. Download the 'UK PostCode Database' .zip, extract the 'ukpostcode.dat' file and copy to the folder you just created.

3. Finally, download the 'UKPostCode Executable' (there are different versions for PPC2003 AND PPC2003, and copy to the same folder. Browse to this folder via ActiveSync on your PC, locate the UKPostCode.exe file, right click and select 'Create Shortcut. Rename the shortcut you have just created to 'UKPostCode'. Copy this file to Windows\StartMenu\Programs on your PPC again using Explorer via ActiveSync.

If all has gone to plan you will find the shortcut located in Start | Programs. Double Click to launch. I personally dedicate a Hardware Button to this excellent app.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, While this thread is on the subject of post code searches could some one tell me if the addresses within a post code area are listed even in the countryside where most homes have names rather than numbers and are on very minor roads/tracks ?? I would like to know this in respect of ttn3 and garmins maping software .

Thanks
Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand your question? In the country a single Post Code can cover a larger area and more potential addresses than in a town or city where it is rarely more than 5 - 10 possible addresses but it's still a valuable tool for narrowing down a location.

Entering a PostCode does not give you a list of potential addresses, it's simply a tool to navigate to the Lat/Lon centre for that Post Code range. HTH?
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
Hi, While this thread is on the subject of post code searches could some one tell me if the addresses within a post code area are listed even in the countryside where most homes have names rather than numbers and are on very minor roads/tracks ?? I would like to know this in respect of ttn3 and garmins maping software .

Thanks
Dave

I can categorically state that they are after a week of delivering to places in the middle of nowhere in Lincolnshire. The downside is that they cover a larger area so don't narrow it down as much as in a town.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your question? In the country a single Post Code can cover a larger area and more potential addresses than in a town or city where it is rarely more than 5 - 10 possible addresses but it's still a valuable tool for narrowing down a location.

Entering a PostCode does not give you a list of potential addresses, it's simply a tool to navigate to the Lat/Lon centre for that Post Code range. HTH?
Thanks for the reply which demonstrates my problem .In a town one may be just a few doors away from the required address but in rural locations one can be two miles away through twisting lanes with hardly a house in site to ask directions ( always assuming there is some one is home) I asked the question were the adresses in a post code area listed because when one buys an item on the net sometimes the ordering process involves entering ones potcode then the addresses within it are listed for the relevent one to be chosen . (sorry to be long winded but it takes some explaining ) I thought this system may have applied to the various navagation software!!

regards
dave
rainady
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like you sorted it out for me. Hope I can come back to you if I have any more problems.

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what we're here for :D
JimboW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Darren !

Joined the forum for exactly this kind of help. Have been through the mill with TT2&3/HP2210 so it's nice to see something easily fixed.

Cheers,
Jim.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom9851 wrote:
I've never heard of the Richard Davies Postcode Search personally but I can highly recommend this free add-on, used by many on these forums and works like a dream also on either TTN2 or 3.

www.digitools.co.uk

Tom

My CodeSearch program for the PC and subsequently for the PocketPC was the first Thumbs Up and used the PostCode overlays created by George Spanellis. I agree that the program UKPostcodes written by Niels is the one to use now so I have removed my PocketPC CodeSearch programs from my website. The links to them in the Downloads area on this website are now broken. I will ask Dave to remove them completely.
lostagain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had UKPostcode working fine, but I installed the latest postcode database (in the current 11,489KB zip containing the 19MB postcode file) and it wont work now.

I have tried running the setup but it doesnt try and install (as reported on the forum )

I installed Checkpoint since it was reported that this helps, nope it didnt.

Can someone list the actual files and the directories they should be in, I have the .dat and .exe on the storage card but the exe wont run.

Does another forum exist just for this add-in ? I have spent ages trying to find it to no avail.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: