Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map updates and pgpsw cameras query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map updates and pgpsw cameras query
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: map updates and pgpsw cameras query Reply with quote

tomtom live xl w europe

hi all
i have a year old sat nav as above and have been offered by tomtom a latest map download and 1 year of updates for £16.24 (i think) as when i have previously tried to take up a similar offer there was a hefty charge for the new map and the deal price was only for the updates thereafter, so not sure if this is the same type of offer.
my main point however, is that if i go for this will i have to reactivate every PGPSW camera type everytime i download a new map and / or update as this is a bit of a pain if i have to do this every few months, i think i'd rather keep a slightly outdated map in place?
many thanks for any advice received.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep a copy of the MapSettings.cfg file from your map folder you can simply copy that file to the new map folder post update and all the warnings etc will remain the same, note you might not lose the POI warnings by a map update but having the MapSettings.cfg file gives you another chance should the Home/ MyTomTom software screw up. - Mike
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks as ever for your reply mike.
i will save a copy as you have suggested and see what happens.
just thinking actually, i have poi categories of my customers addresses (about 120) will these be affected or can i do a similar file save and install to map folder? for those also. do they go in the same folder as the cameras as well?
thanks again, tony.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you keep a copy of the MapSettings.cfg file from your map folder you can simply copy that file to the new map folder post update and all the warnings etc will remain the same, note you might not lose the POI warnings by a map update but having the MapSettings.cfg file gives you another chance should the Home/ MyTomTom software screw up. - Mike

i think i may have been had over by tomtom again. i should know better.
the email they sent me clearly states latest map + 1 year updates at a special price to me of £16.24.
paid by paypal got my receipt and when connecting to tomtom home no updates are showing (my existing map is just over 1 year old) but saying that i can buy the latest map for around £52!!!
i now am not sure how to proceed. i certainly will not spend another £50 on another map as i feel i have been totally misled by their email which clearly states:
latest map + 1 year of updates for £16.24
an exclusive offer for me (yeah right!!).

any advice guys on how to proceed with this?
thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your contacts POI file there will be an 0v2 file and a bmp file, you will need to copy these to your new map post update, these two files will ne in the same map folder as the speed camera POI files.

The cost associated with updating the map is on a sliding scale, if you have the latest map when you upgrade then it costs the least amount of money, if your map is over a year old when you update then they charge a fee for the latest map plus access to the next updates for 12 months - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
For your contacts POI file there will be an 0v2 file and a bmp file, you will need to copy these to your new map post update, these two files will ne in the same map folder as the speed camera POI files.

That's not normally required Mike....

I've not had a map update in years that hasn't correctly copied all my POI files over to the new map folder automatically.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:

the email they sent me clearly states latest map + 1 year updates at a special price to me of £16.24.
paid by paypal got my receipt and when connecting to tomtom home no updates are showing (my existing map is just over 1 year old) but saying that i can buy the latest map for around £52!!!
i now am not sure how to proceed. i certainly will not spend another £50 on another map as i feel i have been totally misled by their email which clearly states:

thanks

You sure it doesn't read from £16.24? I received a similar e-mail at the end of August:
Latest map + 4 more downloads From £ 22.48
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
tonygold wrote:

thanks

You sure it doesn't read from £16.24? I received a similar e-mail at the end of August:
Latest map + 4 more downloads From £ 22.48

definitely doesn't say from. i have pasted below the text but there is also a graphic (that i can't paste in here) that clearly says latest map + 4 updates for £16.24:

"Map Update Service gives you the latest map available right away, and four new versions per year – for much less than the price of a new map.

Just join before 30th September 2012 to enjoy a full year with the newest map and the best navigation."

i just think it is completely misleading. the email was addressed specifically to me so i assumed it was an offer to a long standing existing customer.
obviously not!!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you forward the email to me, I'll post the all-important image up here.

Just click on the "email" button below.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
If you forward the email to me, I'll post the all-important image up here.

thanks andy
UPDATE:
been on the phone to tomtom for 30mins (lucky i got a uk number from saynoto0870.com)!!
they have now confirmed that i will get the latest w europe map AND 1 year's updates for £16.24 which actually seems like a very good deal.
if you still want a copy of their email offering this (as it may help others achieve this deal) let me know and i can forward it to you if you give me your email address.
tony
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
What "email" button below? Shocked
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

that was to be my next question!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
M8TJT wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

that was to be my next question!!
Try PM as an alternative and he might be happy to oblige. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
UPDATE:
been on the phone to tomtom for 30mins (lucky i got a uk number from saynoto0870.com)!!
they have now confirmed that i will get the latest w europe map AND 1 year's updates for £16.24 which actually seems like a very good deal.
if you still want a copy of their email offering this (as it may help others achieve this deal) let me know and i can forward it to you if you give me your email address.
tony

I received this offer at the weekend but the small print says that it is only for the device linked to the email address it was sent to. In my case this was for a device that has long gone, my current Go 540 is registered with a different email address and has six months of map update outstanding.

It is a good deal as the requirement to be on the current map version or pay an additional charge makes it expensive. This doesnt really work for people who only want to take a new map version every few years or so!
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
tonygold wrote:
UPDATE:
tony

I received this offer at the weekend but the small print says that it is only for the device linked to the email address it was sent to. In my case this was for a device that has long gone, my current Go 540 is registered with a different email address and has six months of map update outstanding.

It is a good deal as the requirement to be on the current map version or pay an additional charge makes it expensive. This doesnt really work for people who only want to take a new map version every few years or so!

i had the same situation as i have an old tomtom that is linked to my real email address and this newer LIVE tomtom that has a ficticious email address. but when i called tomtom (be prepared for along wait and call) they switched the email addresses and transferred my live services at the same time so this should not be a problem for you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: