Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hanging software after speed cam detection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hanging software after speed cam detection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rakker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Hanging software after speed cam detection Reply with quote

Anyone else noticed that once your recently software updated Garmin has detected a speedcam site it freezes? I'm getting fed up switching back to the main screen and then back to map every time I notice it has happened (which can be miles up the road and of course off route). Not only that it is getting dangerous as it holds the speed limit sign on my Nuvi 1490T and this can be miles up the road and incorrect.

Anyone come up with an easy fix? Does the same thing happen to TomTom's? If not after a decade with Garmin I'm off to TomTom.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's 'recently updated software'?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be the Garmin software. The PGPSW database is not software.

Would be useful to know which version is installed.

No it doesn't happen with TomToms or Garmins usually. Which version of the database do you have installed (Speed zoned etc) and how many other POI Categories (I.e supermarkets, PC World etc)??
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Must be the Garmin software. The PGPSW database is not software.
I know that and that's exactly why I asked, just to make sure Very Happy I have heard PGPSW database as software before and wondered whether the OP was suggesting that it was the PGPSW database that's screwing it up Shocked.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many POIs have caused issues in the past but it an issue with the Garmin software.
Rakker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts. As for the software it was the latest Garmin update (I realize the POI's are not software) - version 6.10 but it did happen with their previous version.

The problems seem to only occur when using the gps for navigation, when in map mode without a destination all is OK. So it does point to something triggering the changed Garmin software and causing the freezing screen. I wonder if it is something in either the proximity code or the audio code which Garmin has altered?

When screen freezes the only operative information are the speed and clock.

Could be time for 2 gps', one for navigation with no speedcam info downloaded and one with speedcams doing nothing else - maybe that's why Garmin units are so cheap at Halfords at the moment - they need to shift stock!!!!!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen it on my 1490 with any software version, and I've had mine for nearly 2 years and am now running 6.10

First thing to try whenever your GPS is acting strangely is a hard reset, try that before you condemn it and buy another one Wink

Note a hard reset will clear all your favourites, so make a copy of current.gpx (in the GPX folder of your nuvi) and after the hard reset copy it back into the GPX folder, but name it something else (eg temp.gpx). Once you reboot the nuvi will merge that file into its favourites list. Once you're sure they're there delete temp.gpx Smile
Rakker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice sussamb and everyone else.

Tried the hard reset (both holding power button for a while and the top left corner and power button versions) but only got screen recalibration. HOWEVER I may have found the solution...for some reason the Garmin software has been adding additional 'Favourites' - how and why I don't know. Anyway stored in the memory were my folder of 'Favourites' plus the same favourites stored over and over again in different guises and with various types of folder references some in date style, others just odd / random numbers and others in named folders like 'Fuel' which contained one entry. I transferred my 'Favourites' i.e. 'Waypoints' in Mapsource jargon in to Mapsource and saved the file. Next I deleted the entire Favourites folder using the inbuilt delete option on the Nuvi. Went back to Mapsource transferred the 'Waypoints' back across and tested to see OK. I've been out this morning, set the gps to navigate and went through a known local village speedcam site - no problem, no freezing so hope all is once again well but only a trip through a more speedcam infested area may prove the problem is completely cured.

Maybe I should apologise to Garmin for my 'rant' but why is the software adding all these weird 'Favourites'. It is certainly something I shall be keeping a check on in the future.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard reset is accomplished by pressing lower right and power ... see page 57 of the manual Wink

Favourites are stored in categories once you have more than 12 (I think) ... that's why you have a list called All favourites and then other categories. Those with odd numbers ... that does seem to be a glitch in the Garmin software, I've had them and know of others who have also. Affects the 13xx and 14xx series, maybe others. I have told Garmin, and they seem to occur after a software upgrade or if the device hangs, so that's what possibly caused them in your case.

I back up my current.gpx file every week, so if it occurs I simply delete the lot and reload them Smile

Other option (as you did) is to edit the file in Mapsource (or Basecamp).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: