Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 1005 late camera warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 1005 late camera warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poleposition
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: GO 1005 late camera warnings Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with when I get a warning of cameras. Using PGPSW database, I have set mobile 60 to warn of camera at a distance of 1000 yards, but on approaching one of the POI's today, the GPS only started to warn at about 350 yards, much too late for a mobile camera. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? TIA.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head ...

Was there any other announcements (turns etc) that may have delayed this warning?

Was there another mobile 60 warning just before? (it warns of a second one after passing the first in the same category).

Do mobile 60 alerts normally come on time?
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to review what was going on, and to get the answers to Gerry's questions, don't forget you can ask the TomTom to run your route past the camera as a demo. without you having to actually drive there again.

If you're not sure how to do that, go to "Prepare route" (called "Advance planning" on older models), then use "Point on map" to set the start point a mile or so before the mobile location and the destination a few hundred yards after it.
Once the route is calculated, quickly tap "Details" on the route summary screen and select ""Show route demo"
poleposition
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gerry and Andy for your replies. I have recently been having problems with my 1005, it keeps constantly restating at the startup screen, and I keep having to reboot the device. I think my problems may be related to this. I will do some checks as suggested as report back.
poleposition
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having run the route demo several times, I found that initially my GPS was behaving strangely. Sometimes it would sound an alert, but at the wrong distance, sometimes it would not sound an alert at all, and I noticed that the distance to camera was not reducing on the display.

I then rebooted the GPS, and ran the demo several times, and it worked exactly as expected.

With this information, and the fact that the unit often gets stuck in power off-power on loop at the startup splash screen, it looks like the unit is faulty in some way.

Any thoughts how to fix this strange behaviour? The unit is just out of warranty, and this strange behaviour seems to have started just after my first years free "Live" subscription expired.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the new "NAV3" TomTom models (the ones that use "My TomTom" instead of "Home"), there's not a great deal we can suggest to help as the file system is hidden from the user.

Apart from a simple reset (hold the power switch for 20 until you hear the drum-roll sound and then release), and doing a "Return to Factory settings (from the Settings menu" about all we can suggest is "Recovery mode".

That is used to reinstall the latest released version of software automatically in dire situations, but you can also invoke it manually.

Press and hold down the power button for minimum 20 seconds until you hear the drum roll sound, and CONTINUE to hold it down until you get to the black and white text diagnostics screen (with battery and other info).

While you are in this diagnostic screen press the power button 3 times very quickly (literally - one-two-three, without waiting between presses).

The device should go then into the Recovery Mode (a screen will appear with a moving cogs animation in the middle, followed eventually by another screen with a picture of the device, a computer and a red cross (or something like that).

Now, while it is in that state, connect the device to your PC and open MyTomTom. A recovery build will be installed onto your unit. The recovery build should be the latest stable release.

No guarantees it will make any difference though!
poleposition
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information. I think my problems started when my Live subscription ran out. I read somewhere that someone had fixed the constant rebooting at startup problem by disabling mapshare. I have tried the same and will see how it goes. I have also been considering removing the sim card if disabling mapshare does not work. Will report back how it goes.
poleposition
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm, since disabling mapshare, I have had no more problems with the unit constantly rebooting on startup. Speed camera alerts also seem to be working as expected now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: