Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Sat Nav advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Sat Nav advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildest_jjk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: New Sat Nav advice Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I have been looking for a while at new sat navs and which would be the best to go with. I have found this extremely difficult, so figured I would see what you guys recommend Smile

The features I require:

5 inch screen.

Must have UK and European maps.

Must have the ability to turn camera locations off in France. (Our next holiday).

Preferably one off cost (no need for subscription services).

Lane guidance.

Speed camera locations.

Free map/speed camera updates.

I don't really want to spend anymore than £190. The reason I have mentioned subscription services etc, is because a lot of the sat navs I have seen seem to have hidden charges. For things like speed camera locations and map updates. Maybe this is the norm? I don't know!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Smile

Last edited by wildest_jjk on Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
    sussamb
    Pocket GPS Verifier
    Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmins 1490LMT will do all that you want except free camera updates, don't know of any way around paying for those Confused

Or if traffic updates aren't important for you then the 1490LM.

You can save even more if you don't want a 5" screen and drop down to one of the 13xx series or if you don't want bluetooth then others in the 14xx series.
    wildest_jjk
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
    Garmins 1490LMT will do all that you want except free camera updates, don't know of any way around paying for those Confused

Or if traffic updates aren't important for you then the 1490LM.

You can save even more if you don't want a 5" screen and drop down to one of the 13xx series or if you don't want bluetooth then others in the 14xx series.

Thanks for the response, I have just updated the feature list because we would like a 5 inch screen.

The 1490LMT is a possibility, so you can get free map updates but not free speed camera updates?

When you say traffic updates do you mean maps?

Thanks again Smile
    sussamb
    Pocket GPS Verifier
    Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LM is lifetime maps.

T is traffic, which is free for the life of the unit. It's not maps, but basically informs you of traffic en route or in the area. You can set the 1490 to automatically reroute (I don't have mine set to that) or just to warn you, so that you can decide what action to take.

Speed camera updates are via subscription. I don't know of any system that gets you that for free.
    wildest_jjk
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
    The LM is lifetime maps.

T is traffic, which is free for the life of the unit. It's not maps, but basically informs you of traffic en route or in the area. You can set the 1490 to automatically reroute (I don't have mine set to that) or just to warn you, so that you can decide what action to take.

Speed camera updates are via subscription. I don't know of any system that gets you that for free.

Hello,

Thanks for the response, that clears a few things up.

I think I am definitely looking at Garmin just because with the lifetime maps I would only have to pay for the speed camera subscription. Unlike TomTom which would be both!

The only problem is I cannot decide on a model. There seems to be a few new models that are worth considering as well.

What do people think would be the best garmin model? It must include lifetime maps as well as the features I spoke about.

Thanks everyone.
    sussamb
    Pocket GPS Verifier
    Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Garmin user for a while, both handhelds and nuvis. None of the newer models would convince me to give up my 1490; it is a very stable device (never needed to reboot it for well over a year now) and allows me to download routes from my PC. Newer models have what Garmin call 'trips' which IMO don't work half as well.

Having said that there are newer models out there that will do what you want Wink
    M8TJT
    The Other Tired Old Man
    The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sticking my nose in here a bit. The PGPSW camera database is probably quite a bit more accurate and up to date than Garmin's especially the UK cams, so if you are going to subscribe to a camera databse, here is the place to do it Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: