Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Campsite navigation and map systems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Campsite navigation and map systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carina16a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Campsite navigation and map systems Reply with quote

I have a Tungsten T3 and want to add GPS to it. I have read that both TeleAtlas and Navteq are good around cities, but don't give too much retails in rural areas. As a primary purpose for my GPS system would be to navigate me to various campsites, and these tend to be in less populated areas, can anyone advise on whether the two mapping systems above, or another alternative, would be up to the job. Secondly, what is the best system to use with the T3? I know of Tomtom and Navman but am concerned that their maps, TeleAtlas based, are not necessarily the best.
Thanks,
carina16a
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say both are up to the job.
I have been using a Holiday Parks Guide to test SmartSTv2 SP2 and i'm happy to say it's found more or less all of the addresses I have entered so far Thumbs Up

As long as you have the full address including the name of the road the site is on the software will find it. With TomTom you have the extra benefit of using the full postcode with the 3rd party add-on postcode locator.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Abb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Caravan Club Sites Reply with quote

List of Caravan Club Sites available at http://www.poihandler.com. Give it a try......Abb
carina16a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Icsys and Abb for your responses.

I was just starting to settle on the Tomtom system and am looking aroung for good deals on it but... Abb, you mentioned the POI for campsites and that sounds good to me, but can Tomtom accept POI information? I seem to have read that Tomtom does not support POI modification and, perhaps wrongly, assumed this means that it cannot accept POI files other than its built-in ones. Is this correct? or is there third party sw in place that handles this?

Thanks,
carina16a
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes TomTom can accept POI information and there are lots available. take a look at the Points of Interest link to the left under 'GPS Central'.

At the moment Navman cannot accept additional POIs but this is likely to be addressed in a future version.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure the palm version has custom pois yet

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Abb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: POI's Reply with quote

As already replyed to you in post from icsys POI's are supported using checkPOInt programme from this site and POI database from previous link.
I use the Medion PPc so my Knowledge for your proposed system is limited but think this info is OK......Abb

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: