Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Status quo?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Status quo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Status quo? Reply with quote

I want to get a new satnav, and I would be most grateful for a word of advice from this community, please.

I'd like:
* A clear at-a-glance route depiction (at least as good as my old Tom Tom)
* Concise but adequate spoken directions (also a la my old Tom Tom_
* ... preferably Joanna!
* POIs easily uploadable, especially CamerAlert
* Updatable maps
* Traffic-density rerouting would be useful

I have a very old version of Tom Tom on a Palm TX that I nurse very carefully. Still works perfectly except for no way of updating the maps (not a major problem). The display and the directions are superb -- easy to see at a quick glance where the road ahead goes, and brief but very good spoken directions in Joanna Lumley's calm and civilised tones.

I also have an HTC Desire (2nd one, the 1st one died) with Google Navigate, but that overheats (same as the 1st one!) after about 1½-2 hrs GPS use while on car-charger. The directions are long-winded, and the thin line along the middle of the route ahead is often hard to see at a quick glance (I'm colour blind and presbyopic).

From what I've read, users seem to be pretty upset with Tom Tom at the moment, which puts a question mark over that brand... or are there meaningful and really progressive improvements known to be in the pipeline?

There seem to be quite a few phone/pad apps out there with displays at least as good as Tom Tom, but I'd have to get a different device to run them (no space on my HTC and it gets too hot anyway).

But I have no experience of other systems or devices other than the two I've mentioned.

Should I wait? Or buy... what? Smile
sollythegolly
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a lot of Satnav users/critics is that they want perfection, and perfection is not possible in a device that needs to satisfy the disparate requirements of users.

For my money, irrespective of the moans about TomTom, it is, to me, still the best on the market.

Try writing down a list of what you, personally, want from your next navigation device. Imagine that perfection (for you) did exist, and that you were now going to specify that perfect system. Don't let technology limitations constrain you - go for that perfect device. When you have the list, match it against the different Satnav specifications, and see which one(s) meet your expectations best. If you get down to one device, then buy it. If you end up with more than one choice - introduce other (non-technical) purchasing criteria (cost, availability, aesthetics, etc.) to focus downwards.

Hope you get what you really want.......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: