Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Locating Current Position
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Locating Current Position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashwat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Locating Current Position Reply with quote

On the Active 10 Plus, when I am about to start a walk and open the relevant OS map it always shows the same initial location marked by a red circle. To get the device to show a blue circle signifying where I am located at the start of a walk involves me using the joystick to move the red circle around the map until I finally spot a blue circle and hence my starting position. This can be quite fiddly and time consuming. Is there a quicker way to get the device to show my starting position after opening an OS map? Similarly, once a walk has commenced, is there a quick way to get the device to adjust the display to show the part of the map with the blue circle signifying my latest position? Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just click the button to the left of the Joystick. This will take you to your present position assuming you have sattelite lock. If not, it will take you there when you get it.
HTH
ashwat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Locating Current Position Reply with quote

When I press that button it does indeed show my current position with a blue circle, but not on the 1:25000 OS map that I have opened as the active map. Instead it defaults to the base (UK wide) GPS map which is not what I want obviously. Could this be something I’ve done to the settings, or possibly a malfunctioning device?

On a related point, is there a quick way of toggling between the trip log and the active OS map so that I can see how far I’ve walked and then immediately return to my current position?

Apologies if these appear like dumb questions but I’m finding the Satmap manuals of very limited help for someone trying to get up and running with the basics. Thanks again.
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoom in to the level you want (and toggle if your maps allow it) and it should default to that zoom level next time you have to press it.
ashwat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Locating Current Position Reply with quote

I can toggle from the 1:25000 OS map to the base map but not the reverse. Once my current position is identified on the base map I don't seem to be able to get back to the active OS map without reloading the OS map afresh, at which point I'm back to square one with a red circle appearing at the same position each time it is loaded. I'm not sure how zooming in on the base map (which I can do) helps me in this instance. Very frustrating!
gpswest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the previous poster says you need to zoom in when on the GPS map screen. The first time I used my map card I had to keep the zoom in button pressed for some time (long past the point of anything useful being displayed) before my 1:50000 and then 1:25000 maps appeared. My current position was then displayed on these maps. Also the toggle button was disabled until I'd completed this zooming in past the base map.
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly
http://www.satmap.co.uk/pdf/QuickStart-EN.pdf
Then
http://www.satmap.co.uk/pdf/SM-USER-ENG-FULL-A10-1.45-10-06.pdf
It's worth settling down with a beer and your SatMap, and going through these step by step.
(Or RTFM).
Cheers
ashwat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Locating Current Position Reply with quote

Eureka! - problem sorted.

It's not that I haven't looked at the manuals, but they don't seem to explain things in a way that I can easily follow. The advice provided by gpswest was exactly what I needed, especially the bit about toggle being disabled until you zoom past a certain point, but many thanks to both of you for taking the time and trouble to help out. Much appreciated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: