Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 920 Missing Postcodes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 920 Missing Postcodes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: TT 920 Missing Postcodes Reply with quote

Hi All,

Need some help. Recently purchased an updated map from Tom Tom for Western Europe, including UK, for a trip to Spain. Should have known it would be suspect when the directions I put in took me to a multi storey car park Confused

Anyway, just tried to put in an address here in good old Blightey and I can't put in the second half of the postcode. Any clues?

My thanks in advance.

Tony
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a go at this - for some strange reason, TomTom sometimes seem to drop your postcodes with new maps! Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Tried what you suggested. Didn't work. I'm guessing I have done something incorrectly. I got the zip file, extracted them and copied them to the Western Europe map on the H (Tom Tom ) memory on the unit. I seem to remember getting a message saying the file already existed and did I want to replace which I said yes to all.

Any thoughts would be appreciated but you have to ask; how is it they(TT) can sell a map whcih doesn't contain the postcodes?

Frustrated.

Tony
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't copy the files into the H (tom tom). Whgen you extract, you should finish up with a directory called "zip" (which contains files like Western Europe.postal and Western Europe.ver)

You copy the directory (zip) into the ROOT of your TomTom, NOT into the map directory.

Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

You got me. I've looked at all the file names,types etc and cannot see one anywhere with ROOT in it .. As you may have guessed I'm not the most savvy with these things. How hard can it be? Question
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry. ROOT is not a directory or anything, it's the device itself. So if it shows as H, copy that zip directory to H.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little tutorial I knocked up a long time ago....

Folders & Files - What Is This 'Root Directory' I Keep Hearing About?

(Sorry it's on another forum, I thought I had done something similar here, but can't find it now).
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the reposnses. I believe I have tried all of your suggestions and still no joy. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the jpeg images on the tutorial as I'm not a member of that group. So any other thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. Why is it so difficult Rolling Eyes

Just sent a snotty message to TT as well. How can they sell something that then doesn't work? Hmmmmmmm

Thanks in advance.

Tony
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the zip file you downloaded on the computer? if so try the following:

Connect you nav device to the PC and switch it on.

Shut down Home_2 if it starts up as its not needed.

Open Windows Explorer and view the drives connected to your PC, make a note as to which drive letter is associated with your TomTom, it should say TomTom next to the drive letter.

Right click the zip.zip file and select Extract file, now select the drive letter associated with your TomTom and click OK.

Do the above and the required files will be put in to a folder called zip that will be in the root of the device without you needing to do anything else - Mike
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the help. Tried what you suggested. Still no good. I couldn't find Windows explorer so used My Computer. The TT is shown as drive H. I right clicked the zip folder and selected extract all. I then had to browse for a place to put the files, so I selected H. As the files were being copied across, I got messages saying the file already existed and did I want to replace it which I did. When finished, I looked at the files in H, and there was no zip file but there were individual files of the UK, Netherland and Singapore codes. Tried to enter a postcode wiith no improvement.

I'm about to drop kick this thing into the nearest lake and ask for a refund from TT Evil or Very Mad

I suppose the moral is, don't buy anything from TT. It can't be trusted. What's more frustrating is they don't get it right in the first place.

I'm not HP but appreciate your help and advice.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows Explorer and My Computer are the same thing.

Find the H drive which is your TomTom. At the bottom of the list of files and folders in the right hand pane, RIGHT click on blank space not used by a file or folder. A menu should appear. Select New then Folder. A new folder called "New Folder" should appear. Over write the name with "zip" and hit Enter.

Now drag each of the UK, Netherlands and Singapore files onto the "zip" folder but hold down the RIGHT mouse button whilst doing it. If asked do you want to Copy or Move here choose Move. Repeat for each file. You should then have a folder called "zip" at the bottom of the list of folders on the unit. Inside that folder should be your postcode files.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Over write the name with "ZIP" and hit Enter.
I don't know if the later Navcores handle upper-case better, but it previously had to be named zip all in lower-case.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right. I'll edit now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: