Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie advice request...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie advice request...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Newbie advice request... Reply with quote

OK, <deep breath>, I am technical but I have gone straight to overwhelmed! I would like a bit of assistance on direction as I start to research buying a GPS.

I am looking for a system for business use. I am a sales rep in the US in the SE and the Ohio valley areas. I own an Emap currently, but have found it to be not terribly useful for business usage as it will not plot routes and I find the proprietary storage cards to be highly annoying.

I am not against a hardware only solution or a PDA based solution. I am currently a Palm T3 user and to complicate matters, I am a Mac user rather than a PC person. Please do not take either of these as statements of hardware bigotry, it is just what I am currently using! Laughing

I would like to find something that will plot routes and give audible cues as I am often driving in areas I am not terribly familiar with. I would like something that uses a standard storage format. I would like something that I curse at less than an Atlas!

I am basically looking for three or four good suggestions so I can do some hard research, but at this point I am not even sure where to start!

THanks in advance from a mostly clueless noob!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep your T3 then you are pretty much stuck with either Mapopolis or TomTom. Both work reasonably well on the T3. And they don't really require a PC for installation.

Maybe you can even connect your emap to the T3 (it's a serial receiver after all) or you think about getting a BlueTooth receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jeffmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there significant limitations on the Palm app side? would I be better off looking at something dedicated like the Streetfinder?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limitation for the Palm is the same as for the streetfinder - it's dedicated... While you are navigating there is nothing else you can do with the Palm (as compared to a Pocket PC).

The advantage of the Palm/Pocket PC is that you have a choice. If you don't like one program or its maps you can switch to something else. With the streetfinder you are stuck. Like it or throw it away...

Personally I am no fan of single purpose devices, but that's a whole different story

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: