Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom via LIVE 120 PGPSW Xmas 2010 Prize arrived.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom via LIVE 120 PGPSW Xmas 2010 Prize arrived.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom via LIVE 120 PGPSW Xmas 2010 Prize arrived. Reply with quote

There have been a number of negative comments re the via LIVE so I thought I would try not to compare to TT3 and 5 and my existing iGO. A fresh open mind.

It has the 4.3" screen and to my suprise 45 European Countries, I was expecting UK only. Eh, but who;s complaining? Very Happy

Connected to my computer straight away and I was soon off finding what it can and can't do.

Sitting next to my back window it locked on within seconds and setting a route to a friends house 'traffic' avoided a hold up on the A2 and set a route to bypass it, the route I take at the moment until the roadworks has finished.

So far I can't fault it, except not being able to use PGPSW cameras at the moment. Oh, and I'll have to learn to speak the Queens English, used voice to Input London and failed, my wife tried and it worked, and the Street name and house number. Sad I've had some success with other names.

All in all I believe any new user would be more than satisfied with what it does. As for me, I think iGO will have to go into hibernation and I never thought I would say that.

I have 90 days in which to update the maps but I don't want to be too hasty and update now if a newer version will be out just before the 90 days is up. The version I have is Europe v855.3019.

If you can think of anything I should know before I start connection to TT I'd appreciate the advice.

Finally, thank you PGPSW for a really nice Prize.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom via LIVE 120 PGPSW Xmas 2010 Prize arrived. Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
If you can think of anything I should know before I start connection to TT I'd appreciate the advice.

I know that you're an experienced SatNav user, and I'm guessing that you've already done it! Thumbs Up

However, the Golden Rule with any new SatNav, especially TomTom, is to back it up fully using Windows, NOT by using TomTom Home.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think v870 maps SHOULD be out before your 90 days is up.

EDIT: do I mean 870 or 865? I'm losing my grip!

Last edited by Andy_P on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom via LIVE 120 PGPSW Xmas 2010 Prize arrived. Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Lost_Property wrote:

I know that you're an experienced SatNav user, and I'm guessing that you've already done it! Thumbs Up

However, the Golden Rule with any new SatNav, especially TomTom, is to back it up fully using Windows, NOT by using TomTom Home.

Regards,

I presume this is a joke?!

MaFt
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would think v870 maps SHOULD be out before your 90 days is up.
Here's hoping, I don't want to update too soon and then find by waiting a few more days/weeks I could have the very latest.

Quote:
Evidently can't be done with this model. I'm supposed to be able to back up my own Favourites etc but can't find a way at the moment.

I'm still playing. Strange how I find something it will do, try again later and forgot how I didi it. Confused
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

865 should be out within a week or so......

870 will probably fall out of your 90-day window as it shouldn't appear unitil some time in May, 2011.
lyskamm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Evidently can't be done with this model. I'm supposed to be able to back up my own Favourites etc but can't find a way at the moment.

As you already have discovered, at the moment no backup is possible for the new devices using MyTomtom (as a lot of other things, including third party poi Crying or Very sad).

As already mentioned, wait for the 865 maps to appear in one or two weeks time then use your latest map guarantee. No point to wait further since by the following update your guarantee will be expired.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wait for the 865 maps to appear in one or two weeks time then use your latest map guarantee.
I'll keep my eye on the TT site and when 865 is available I'll download them.

Just found I can set it to remind me when to take a break, it's set for 120 minutes, that'll do me as any longer and my wife will be saying 'I need a toilet'. Rolling Eyes

The more I play the more I like it. Very Happy Looks like bye bye iGO.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyskamm wrote:
As you already have discovered, at the moment no backup is possible for the new devices using MyTomtom (as a lot of other things, including third party poi Crying or Very sad).

Seeing as 3rd party POI support was promised for the end of January (10 days ago) then I wouldn't hold your breath for any sort of back-up support for quite some time...

Having said that, the Via Live IS quite a nice device, it's just also quite annoying that it does far less than it should...

MaFt
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom via LIVE 120 PGPSW Xmas 2010 Prize arrived. Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

Er, no actually it wasn't! Embarassed

Sorry to everybody out there, especially Lost_Property, but my latest TomTom is a 950 Live (I can't afford to buy every new model!) and I forgot that such an experienced manufacturer such as TomTom would ever make a series of units that does not have 3rd party POI support nor the ability to back up the unit the only reliable way (i.e. not using TT Home).

I apologise for my mistake! Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom via LIVE 120 PGPSW Xmas 2010 Prize arrived. Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
MaFt wrote:

Er, no actually it wasn't! Embarassed

Fool! You could have got away with that, by saying it was irony! Wink
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom via LIVE 120 PGPSW Xmas 2010 Prize arrived. Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Fool! You could have got away with that, by saying it was irony! Wink

Very true. However Fool Joker I may be, but at least my reputation (if I have one) for being honest remains intact! Laughing

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's two fools then Privateer, I also said in the post about the Prize Draw I would first back up the system, was told I couldn't do that and also no 3rd party POI's. Like you I assumed newer TT 's would be the same. Embarassed

It's a nice unit and I believe 'newbies' to Sat Nav would be more than satisfied if they purchased one. Apart from the above I can't find anything missing that I personally would need.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done several local trips and all is well, except I miss the PGPSW cameras.

A mate has iGO PRIMO and we did a few checks to different destinations to see how long they would take to find a route.

Medway to
Clynnog (N.Wales) Primo 27 secs, TT 1m52s.
Westnewton (Northumberland) Primo 22s, TT 54s.
Drumnadrochit Primo 28s, TT 2m10s.
Brillon (France) Primo 22s, TT 17s
Grasse (France) Primo 54s, TT 12s

The most recent 'long' journey I did was to Westnewton and I remember loads of cameras on route. I decided to check what TT would come up with. This time it took 9m12s to find the route and was stuck on 10% for over 2mins.

Started from scratch and this time it only took 2m8s including re-checking as 'traffic on route'. I then saw how good? TT fixed cameras are. There is ONE fixed camera over the whole of the 363 mile route and no mobiles shown.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: