Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go Live 1000 prepaid card dillema
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go Live 1000 prepaid card dillema
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomthumb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go Live 1000 prepaid card dillema Reply with quote

I recieved an offer from Halfords to purchase satnav accessories including subscription cards at 1/2 price, it seemed to good to be true. It meant for me a 12 months live services prepaid card was only £23.75 and 2 year map update card was only £14.95.

Naturally I filled my boots, I bought four of the live subscription cards and a map update card. Yipee !!!!

Thats were the party stops, I rang Tomtom and was told they are not compatible with the Go live 1000 and that I should get my money back.

Is it really the case that the Go live 1000 will never utilise the prepaid live subscription cards. Tomtoms website says not currently available, does that mean it will be in the future?

What should I do? I'm sure you can see I got a bargain. Should I sell the Go live 1000 and buy an older model so I can use them, should I risk holding on to them in the hope that they will eventually be useable or should I get a refund?

Advice please.

Last edited by tomthumb on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same email.kinda sucks that we cant utilise the very good deal that is on offer from Halfords.
vgg651w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same question of support and was told

" you want to know about the Traffic updates and about the Subscriptions of Map Update Service.

I would like to Inform you that, as you already have a subscription of Live services on your account and If you purchase another It will be added to future subscriptions on your account. As per your account details, you have LIVE Services for 1 year start date Is ??/01/2011 and End date is ??/01/2012 now for Instance: If you purchase Live services again for 1 year, It will be added to your Future subscriptions and will last for another 1 year starting from ??/01/2012. So, the expiry date will be ??/01/2013.

Same adds to Map update service as well"

I've also got an email saying mid Feb for map version 8.65 plus poi's etc...

"mid of February we aim to release new map 8.65 and the new updates. Additionally we also aim to fix every challenge by this point of time"

I haven't however "spent" my live subscription or map updates, yet.........
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice the map update cards are for newly purchased devices only, I wonder how TomTom interpret and enforce that?
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is crazy, why do tomtom have to be so ambiguous?
So are these offers valid for the 1000/1005 series or not?
As far as i understand the map update offer is valid for units that made their first connection to tomtom HOME within the last 90 days. As for MY tomtom there is no mention of that, however the 1000 series are not listed in compatable devices in the offer ad.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a definitive answer from TomTom on this point you really need to escalate the issue further up the management tree. The Customer Care Manager is a guy called David Watkins and has an email address in the usual firstname.lastname@tomtom.com format. Unfortunately you can't really trust any answer you may have got from the lower orders at TomTom customer services/technical support as they will make up almost any old reply just to close out an existing customer support ticket.

On an x40 of x50 series unit the Live services subscription cards are redeemed by attaching the unit to your PC with the USB docking station or docking cable whilst powered up and letting TomTom Home startup and then selecting the "Use my activation code" option on the first page of TomTom Home 2. So the obvious question is does TomTom Home 3 have any sort of "Use my activation code" screen?

Also if it does you could try to redeem at least one of your 12 months Live services cards now as with an x40 or x50 unit you can do that at any time whilst a subscription is still valid and the next 12 months of Live services merely gets added on from your current expiry date. If there is no "Use my activation code" screen in TomTom Home 3 and you are not able to add a 12 months Live services subscription card to your unit now then you can anticipate there might be problems. However this may of course be a "yet to be added" facility to TomTom Home 3 just like the Custom POIs and the Latest Map Guarantee.

However even if you found the Live services cards would not work on your 1000 series you would clearly have little trouble selling them on Ebay as the cards are transferrable currency and not associated with individual TomTom units until they are redeemed through TomTom Home. I would certainly be interested in buying one of your Live services cards for some small premium over what you paid TomTom to use on my 940 unit, even though my current TomTom Live services sub does not expire until July 2012 (I got about another 9 months of Live services free from TomTom to make up for all the numerous defects with petrol prices being useless and not being able to log on to Live services at peak hours some time in the Autumn of last year).

I think the 2 years of map updates facility and the need to use the card within 6 months of purchase rule works on a similar basis to the Latest Map Guarantee and is referenced by the first time your unit connected to the TomTom Home servers. Although that would seem to suggest some possible likely problems with using the 2 years of map updates on any TomTom shop demonstrator Live service unit that ends up being sold off.
tomthumb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your detailed input WackyRaces, I have written to David as suggested and asked if he will manually add my subscriptions to my Tomtom.

If not then I will consider selling them and will give you advanced notification by PM.

How does selling work on these forums regarding transaction security for both parties?

Thanks again
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthumb wrote:
How does selling work on these forums regarding transaction security for both parties?

A good point. However you sound like an honest chap and your situation sounds genuine so I suspect I would probably be prepared to take the risk of sending you a cheque for £30 or so or making a transfer to your bank account online.

Clearly you could list the items on Ebay and the buyer would then have the usual guarantees of PayPal but then of course you pay out 5% or so of the value of the item you are selling in Ebay and Paypal commissions...........

A tempting thing these genuine half price offers. I recently purchased 192 Finish dishwasher tablets (4 x boxes of 48) that would see me through a whole year or more's dishwashing but it was a genuine half price offer (taking the price of the tablets down to that of the cheapo supermarket own brand that is almost never significantly discounted). As they don't perish or deteriorate within a year it was too tempting an offer to pass by and they happened to be the last four boxes left on the shelf............
tomthumb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll keep you updated. Smile
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
then of course you pay out 5% or so of the value of the item you are selling in Ebay and Paypal commissions...........

It's 10% plus Paypal commision plus any listing costs.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
WackyRaces wrote:
then of course you pay out 5% or so of the value of the item you are selling in Ebay and Paypal commissions...........

It's 10% plus Paypal commision plus any listing costs.

use cheekyoffer.com much cheaper ...and no I am not in any way attached to this company Smile ... use it for selling items
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
use cheekyoffer.com much cheaper ...and no I am not in any way attached to this company Smile ... use it for selling items

There is also www.ebid.co.uk as a more direct competitor of Ebay's with lower charges but the problem with all these other sites is that they don't have nearly as many visitors and hence the resulting auction price achieved is often a lot lower.
tomthumb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom customer service should now all advise that the adding of the service cards facility should be available in the near future.

Last edited by tomthumb on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthumb wrote:
Tomtom customer service should now all now advise that the adding service cards facility should be available in the near future.

Along with the eventual introduction of Custom POIs (including PocketGPSWorld speedcams) and being able to utilise the latest Map Guarantee on the 1000 series no doubt. A pity therefore that they have already let us down on the promised 1st Feb implementation date for those two new features for the 1000 series.Rolling Eyes

It obviously didn't make any sense that they would sell a different Live services prepaid card from the x40 and x50 series but as yet no 1000 series unit is anywhere near the end of its first free 12 months of Live services...........

Whilst I trust TomTom to honour very few of their promises I expect they will get this one right as it involves that all important topic to TomTom of bringing in additional customer revenue Wink Twisted Evil
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these live services card from halfords contain access to all the live services?
Also have they changed the offer, as for £23.95 its for 6 months?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: