Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Puzzling Garmin nuLink 1695 mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Puzzling Garmin nuLink 1695 mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Puzzling Garmin nuLink 1695 mount Reply with quote

My 1695 cam with the usual suction screen mount.

The 1695 clips into the mount and connects to it via 13 bras(!) contacts at the bottom of the 1695.

The mount itself connects to the car 12V system via a mini USB connection.

What I cannot understand is why there are 13 connections when it appears that only two are needed. Are there other types on mounts available that can make use of these 13 pins?

The connection to the computer is via a separate micro USB connector which, I assume, can also be used to charge the 1695.

Some non-Garmin holders have no electrical connection with the 1695 so is it OK to charge the 1695 via the micro USB connector?

VW RNS 510 and TomTom 5200 World
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thoughts were that the multipin plug will have things like the audio outputs on it, so that an alternative (future?) mount can have a jack socket audio out .... TomTom do this.

But I just saw something pretty amazing on the Garmin website...

If you buy a special interface, you can now connect compatible Garmin sat-navs (including the 1695) to the diagnostics port of your car and view all the real-time engine statistics, fuel economy data and the same fault diagnostics that garages use. Impressive stuff!

More here:
http://gbr.garmin.com/ecoroute-hd/index.html#
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EcoRoute HD addaptor uses Bluetooth to get the OBD-II data from the car to the PND, very handy to be able to get at the ECU data if you meddle with the cars state of tune or just a bit of DIY mechanics, it doesn't need any of the extra connection points on the PND - Mike
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Puzzling Garmin nuLink 1695 mount Reply with quote

djchapple wrote:
What I cannot understand is why there are 13 connections when it appears that only two are needed. Are there other types on mounts available that can make use of these 13 pins?

Andy_P wrote:
My first thoughts were that the multipin plug will have things like the audio outputs on it, so that an alternative (future?) mount can have a jack socket audio out .... TomTom do this.

These pins seem to be available for all manner of potential uses (depending on the the exact model). Stuff like Traffic Receiver info, Reversing Camera inputs, Fleet Management interface, ext. microphone input and yes, audio output.
(The cradle on the Nüvi 7xx range can be modified to provide the audio out, though mysteriously, the unit itself has to be switched to FM o/p to enable it.)

djchapple wrote:
Some non-Garmin holders have no electrical connection with the 1695 so is it OK to charge the 1695 via the micro USB connector?

One thing to beware, is wearing out the socket on the Nüvi. A certain well-know auction site, is full of faulty Nüvi 2xx's, that no longer charge due to their (mini) USB sockets being faulty. (The Nüvi 2xx range doesn't have a powered cradle, so you have no choice.) I don't know if the micro-USB socket will prove any more robust than the mini variety.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my active mount on a beanbag dashpad, thus no need to ever disconnect the USB cable. And yes the Ecoroute HD cable has been great so far. Just wish I hadn't loaned out the 1695 and HD for the next few days. One of the truck warning light came on today and with the EcoRoute HD I could have seen the trouble code. Rather than rush to the dealer I think I'll wait until my Garmin comes home.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: