Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Converting GPS voice alerts from MP3 to WAV
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting GPS voice alerts from MP3 to WAV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mags97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Converting GPS voice alerts from MP3 to WAV Reply with quote

Wonder if anyone has any advice. I am trying to download the GPS voice alerts speed zoned (Garmin 200W) which does not accept MP3. I have been trying for a couple of days now. I have downloaded and converted the files to WAV as per the instructions and tested them and they work on the comp. So I take it I have converted them correctly. Then deleted the MP3 files etc. Downloaded the Sox.exe. unzipped and placed in the same folder. When I try to download to sat nav via POI loader I am getting a message
Windows cannot find'C,\Garmin\Sox.exe'.
I have downloaded from a diff. source from GPS but am getting the same results. I am not that great on the comp. So any advice would be appreciated
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is in the error message. Try copying the sox.exe file to the c:\Garmin folder and try again.
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
The answer is in the error message. Try copying the sox.exe file to the c:\Garmin folder and try again.

Needs to be in the garmin file not folder,that was the problem I was having with my 1490.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQUARE2024 wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:

Needs to be in the garmin file not folder,that was the problem I was having with my 1490.

Nope. Needs to be in the Garmin FOLDER. A file is a collect of data such as a spreadsheet, music file or Word document. A folder is a container which holds a number of files. You cannot put a file in a file!* The error message is quiet explicit in what is wrong. The sox.exe FILE needs to be in the Garmin FOLDER. There is no "Garmin file".

Yes, this is the same problem you had but the answer wasn't to put the file in the Garmin file but the Garmin folder.

* except when you compress a file or a number of files into a archive file such as a ZIP (like the PGPSW Speed Camera download) file however this is not being asked here.
mags97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Sorry I am a little confused! as stated I am of the older generation so no whizz kid on the comp.
Firstly I have tried to download the sox.ex many many times but to no avail! I am placing it in the folder where I upload to my sat nav via POI loader. I am unzipping the sox.ex file (as per instructions) and then copying into the folder. I have also sent the file straight to the foder.
Once I close the message which I receive (as stated in my first post) I am receiving a message for every speed camera type with a similar message. So have to click about 20+ times before I can shut the folder and revert back to the Garmin?GPS database.
When I rest my cursor on the GPS voice alert Icons in the download folder they are all showing as WAV so I take it I have converted correctly?
I must be doing something wrong but its got to the stage where I won't give up.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your pc you should find a folder called garmin on the c drive. Copy the sox.exe there. That's what the error message is telling you. The file should be there but it isnt. See if that works.
mags97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul B
Thanks It works.
Don't understand why it needed to go into the Garmin folder on the C drive and not the folder containing my updates, Large Icons Redlight Icons etc which I use to upload via POI loader. Am I thick (no don't answer that) or do you think it might be that the wording on the 'how to install customised voice alerts' needs to be tweaked. Just a suggestion.
Just a further probably basic question. When I download updated GPS Camera alerts into the POI folder for installing on my sat nav. will they over-ride the new voice alerts and go back to the Garmin voice. Or will they just add and subtract the cameras and leave the sound as is. Hope this makes sense.
Many thanks your a star.
No more swearing at the computer.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mags97 wrote:
Don't understand why it needed to go into the Garmin folder on the C drive and not the folder containing my updates, Large Icons Redlight Icons etc which I use to upload via POI loader.

because it is an executable file (i.e. a program) and not a POI collection. They are quite different.
Quote:
When I download updated GPS Camera alerts into the POI folder for installing on my sat nav. will they over-ride the new voice alerts and go back to the Garmin voice. Or will they just add and subtract the cameras and leave the sound as is.

POIs when uploaded, over-write existing POIs. So you must re-uplaod every POI set each time you update. If you have other custom POIs that you have installed such as petrol stations for example, then you must re-uplaod them, together with your updated speed cameras to they will be lost.

That is why we suggest you keep a POI folder on your PC with all the POIs you use contained within. Then each week, you over-write the speed camera POIs in that folder and then re-upload everything.

The same applies to custom voice alerts. These should also be stored within the POI folder on your PC and the whole shebang re-uplaoded each week.
mags97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul/Darren
Have done what you suggested now have a folder with GPS Voices, Icons Red Light POI's and a Folder that I will un-zip these files into as well as the latest GPS speed camera database for loading onto my sat nav via POI.

I tried them out this afternoon. Excellent nice clear warnings. Many thanks for your patience. This really is an excellent place to get help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: