Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - .ogg file sets for Europe & NA camera databases?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

.ogg file sets for Europe & NA camera databases?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeirreOBollox
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve been using the Uk liz whitaker .ogg sound files with my PGPS camera data on my TT950. however I was wondering if there was similar .ogg file sets for use with the European & north american camera databases?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one for Europe - "Kate"

If you only need to know what type of camera it is, you can always use one of the "consolidated" sets (renaming the sound files to match the different filenames of the EU and US databases)

If you really want the speed limits spoken, it may be possible to reuse some of the other files if you can workout what speeds you need, but in America they have all sorts of weird speed limits don't they?

Rolling Eyes

The simple alternative if you have a Go950 is to use the Text to Speech engine to say whatever you want it to say. That's how I made the "Simon" sets for the UK - I wish I'd done all the other numbers at the same time.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That screenshot appears to be in a parking lot somewhere.......and probably answerable to some local by-law.

Can't imagine that speed limit ever being on a public road.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University campus I think.... I was really thinking of all the 35,45,65 etc. MPH limits you seem to have but my mischievous nature got the better of me.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the signs I saw in New Zealand where it should show on the highway signs, (exit whatever) 4.3 km.

We use km here as well but the signs certainly measure in whole numbers.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeirreOBollox wrote:
I was wondering if there was similar .ogg file sets for use with the European & north american camera databases?

The Andy Siddell voice at www.pocketgpsworld.com/speed-camera-alerts-tomtom.php also has a European Speed Zoned complete set in addition to Kate.

I have just changed over to these for my next trip to Spain as I really didn't like Kate's efforts back in the summer because her announcements always sounded so obviously computerised.

Although there aren't many GATSOs in Mallorca the few they have on the motorways are deliberately hidden so its particularly essential to be reminded of them. A few of the local towns also have cops with radar guns although it has to be said they are extremely laid back about their use compared to our own nasty Talivans.

However I like the OP certainly find it a little surprising there are no North American OGG files given that Go units with a North America map have comprised TomTom's top end Satnav offering in the UK for quite some time.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:

The Andy Siddell voice at www.pocketgpsworld.com/speed-camera-alerts-tomtom.php also has a European Speed Zoned complete set in addition to Kate.

Thank you for that. I was SURE there was another one, but somehow I missed it when I went to check.

WackyRaces wrote:

However I like the OP certainly find it a little surprising there are no North American OGG files given that Go units with a North America map have comprised TomTom's top end Satnav offering in the UK for quite some time.

It's purely and simply down to the time and effort involved... Most if not all of the voice sets have been created by users, just like yourself.
Feel free to create anything that you think is missing!

I produced some of them myself and also sorted a lot of the other sets out (to get them all at the right level, to spot any mistakes in content and get all the filenames right in a standardised format), so I can vouch for how long it takes to do - it was a lot longer than the initial recordings took!

I also know there are still a couple of niggling errors in the voice sets, but nothing that cannot be sorted out by the end user.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I also know there are still a couple of niggling errors in the voice sets, but nothing that cannot be sorted out by the end user.

What kind of niggling errors do you think they are exactly? Or should it be obvious if I hear one?

Also on a related point is it the case that once one has established the linkage between each of the PocketGPS individual Speed Zoned POIs and its related OGG file (including whether or not it should be read out only if on route) that one can replace the whole UK and/or Europe OGG Speed Zoned file announcement set (which all seem to use the same file names related to the linked POI regardless of who the actual announcer is) with one for another different voice through Windows Explorer without having to go through the painful process of having to relink all the individual PocketGPS speedzones file with the OGG files on the TomTom unit itself?

This is only because I think its quite hard to decide whether one will prefer a long or a short warning or one with or without sirens or bells until one has actually tried it out in practice.

Lastly I think I'm right in saying that on a 940 I can't replace the icon files to make the size of the visual on screen speed limit warnings (which seem to be pathetically small especially for those of us now in to our late 40s with declining eyesight) on my unit larger even though this was possible on earlier TomTom Satnavs?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Lastly I think I'm right in saying that on a 940 I can't replace the icon files to make the size of the visual on screen speed limit warnings on my unit larger

This is correct the _X2 bmp files get squashed in to a small area top left rather than display in the true size, this is down to the software "updates" that TomTom have provided to "enhance" the devices capability - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

What kind of niggling errors do you think they are exactly? Or should it be obvious if I hear one?

Check out the 'Andy Siddell' pocketgps_eur_specs_120.ogg Wink
(only one person has complained in over three years.....)

Also from my "to do" list....
Quote:
TomTom uk s/zoned is Loud but wrong quality, no 20mph - generic used.
Garmin uk s/z not as loud, DOES have 20mph
Best qual Euro mp3 so use those to re-edit.
TT Euro - not loud - files are stereo - twice as big as necessary
Think I need the 20+30 from Garmin UK for TTT and Garmin Euro?

... unfortunately, I didn't write down which voice set I was looking at at the time. I think it's 'Andy' again but I need to re-download and check them ALL , because I know what is available on the server is not exactly the same as the last lot of files I sent in.

WackyRaces wrote:
Also on a related point is it the case that once one has established the linkage.... one can replace the whole UK and/or Europe OGG Speed Zoned file announcement set....with one for another different voice?

Yes you can.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Check out the 'Andy Siddell' pocketgps_eur_specs_120.ogg Wink
(only one person has complained in over three years.....)

I suppose as the speed limit isn't wrong it doesn't immediately prompt you to notice that the "variable speed camera" bit is incorrect.

I also notice that the lowest European speed limit you have any OGG announcements for in the Andy Siddell kph set is 40kph but they definitely have 20kph and 30mph limits in towns in Europe as reflected in your PocketGPS speedcam data files. So these slower speed announcements would simply appear to have been overlooked?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice artistes Liz, Andy and Vicky did what they did as a favour for someone they worked with.
When they did their recordings, 20 mph cameras didn't exist, pMobiles didn't exist etc. The database was in it's infancy.
We've re-edited and borrowed words from other places where possible, but unless you're very lucky you can't make them say things they never said at all. Try making the word "twenty" out of the words thirty to seventy for example.
The other sets using computer-generated or text to speech voices, give you the opportunity to have them say what you want, but getting a natural inflection good enough to satisfy everyone can take quite a lot of time-consuming experimentation.

You seem to think this was all done as a centrally organised affair by PGPSW. It wasn't.
It was done by a whole collection of different database users in their own way and for their own use. They simply decided to make their efforts available to others for the communal good.

As I said above, there no reason you can't make your own voice files if you want something different. If you can't find someone prepared to say what you want into a webcam or microphone, you've got a 940... Use one of the built-in voices, sit down and type in all the warnings you want, send them via the line out or Bluetooth to your PC and record them (oh, if you choose the line-out you might need to buy the accessory mount with the output socket if you haven't got one already). Then find some nice siren sound effects on-line and edit them all together using one of the free audio programs available. Then you can name all 30 files correctly and send them to PGPSW to add to the collections.

Simples.

That's what I did with the "Simon" set, but I wasn't expecting to drive in America in the foreseeable future so I didn't see a need to make a US version at the time.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The voice artistes Liz, Andy and Vicky did what they did as a favour for someone they worked with. When they did their recordings, 20 mph cameras didn't exist, pMobiles didn't exist etc. The database was in it's infancy.

We've re-edited and borrowed words from other places where possible, but unless you're very lucky you can't make them say things they never said at all. Try making the word "twenty" out of the words thirty to seventy for example.

I hadn't realised any of this as I didn't have a satnav back then but this does in theory seem to mean that you could therefore get the missing Andy Siddell 30kph announcements from his 30mph announcements?

Quote:
You seem to think this was all done as a centrally organised affair by PGPSW. It wasn't.

It was done by a whole collection of different database users in their own way and for their own use. They simply decided to make their efforts available to others for the communal good.

I wasn't clear how it was done. But it now appears that on the one hand the PGPSW speed camera data files are a commercial effort sold for money but that these sound files are only the efforts of enthusiastic volunteers?

Oddly enough though the site wouldn't let me download the OGG warning files unless I was logged in with a paying subscription user name and password for the paying PGPSW speed camera data service. So should these volunteers now be asking for royalties on their work given that it now appears to be being sold on a commercial basis as part of the PGPSW speed camera data service. I am sure that you should also have a share of this too Andy as the man who apparently did a lot of the hard technical work on these files. Not Worthy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Oddly enough though the site wouldn't let me download the OGG warning files unless I was logged in with a paying subscription user name and password for the paying PGPSW speed camera data service.
The sound files can be downloaded by any Registered User of this site.

However they wouldn't be a great deal of use, if you didn't have access to the data (camera), files also.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
but this does in theory seem to mean that you could therefore get the missing Andy Siddell 30kph announcements from his 30mph announcements?

Yes. But not just in theory. It's easy enough to do.
But for other voices, you can't make "120 km/h" out of someone saying the phrases "30 mph" upto "70 mph"

WackyRaces wrote:
But it now appears that on the one hand the PGPSW speed camera data files are a commercial effort sold for money but that these sound files are only the efforts of enthusiastic volunteers?

Yes. Is there a problem with that?
The same situation applies to all the other (non-camera) Points of Interest sets that users have submitted (and that PGPSW hosts for free).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: