Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 710 talks too much
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 710 talks too much

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuff24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 710 talks too much Reply with quote

Hi
Is there a way to reduce how much the Nuvi 700 series talks?

I've seen the Ash10's Voice Manager software thread. Is there a simpler way?

Specifically, I don't want to hear about via points in my route (they're just there to make the route go a certain way) and I'd prefer less talk from the unit generally.

Thanks for any suggestions
Mark
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 710 talks too much Reply with quote

Stuff24 wrote:
Hi
Is there a way to reduce how much the Nuvi 700 series talks?
Specifically, I don't want to hear about via points in my route (they're just there to make the route go a certain way)

For that job, you need the PONI Killer Very Happy

(PONI = Points Of No Interest)

See: This web page and scroll down to the bit that says "Unflag your routes"
Stuff24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for that. Has anyone tried this program with the Nuvi?
When I diff a gpx file containing a route with two waypoints I prepare in MapSource, the only difference I see after the PONI killer has run is that it's turned the Autoname for the route from true to false.

Also, the web page says that you need to turn route recalculation off when using these files, otherwise if you go slightly off route, you lose the whole route. I don't think you can do that on the Nuvi.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff24 wrote:
Has anyone tried this program with the Nuvi?

I've used it quite a bit with a Nüvi 760.

and he wrote:
When I diff a gpx file containing a route with two waypoints I prepare in MapSource, the only difference I see after the PONI killer has run is that it's turned the Autoname for the route from true to false.

When I look at mine, it's removed all the {rtept} entries from the route, apart from the first and last. These are the waypoints that I added, to make the route go exactly the way I wanted it. They are the ones which would otherwise get announced when I pass through them (I use this mainly for planning peak-time, back street, rat-runs!).

The result is a route with a start and an end, with the minute detail of the roads filled in as {rpt} entries (which are followed, but not announced). Because this detail is derived directly from the map, it follows that you should expect to have to rebuild your routes, when upgrading the maps.

further to this, he wrote:
Also, the web page says that you need to turn route recalculation off when using these files, otherwise if you go slightly off route, you lose the whole route. I don't think you can do that on the Nuvi.

I think only the Zümo, and some of the earlier Streetpilots have this option. With the Nüvi 7x0, if you stray off route far enough, it will re-calculate a totally different new route. At that point, you have to cancel and manually reselect your original downloaded version.

Note: the 7x5 range is not capable of any of this - it always recalculates the route when it first imports it. If you've not added any waypoints manually, you have no real say in the result (except shortest, fastest etc) Crying or Very sad
Stuff24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
I've used it quite a bit with a Nüvi 760.

I've a 710, which I think is very similar.

PhilHornby wrote:
When I look at mine, it's removed all the {rtept} entries from the route, apart from the first and last.

It must be something to do with the type of waypoint I created. To create gpx files containing a route, I generally use GoogleMaps and then use tyre to convert to gpx. When I tried such a file with PONI, MapSource complained that the unflagged output file was not a valid gpx file.

I don't get along with MapSource for preparing routes, but I did one for a test using the route tool, and there was little difference in the unflagged version, either using a diff tool, or looking at it in MapSource.

Can I be a numpty and ask which method you are using in MapSource to prepare a route for the input gpx file to PONI killer?

Thanks for your help
Mark
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff24 wrote:
It must be something to do with the type of waypoint I created.
Can I be a numpty and ask which method you are using in MapSource to prepare a route for the input gpx file to PONI killer?

I don't think it matters which way you go about creating the route in Mapsource...but FWIW, I usually let Mapsource plot the initial route and then modify it using the 'rubber-band' method (for want of a better phrase). Use the arrow selection-tool, and click twice on the route (two clicks, not one double-click!). The route now 'sticks' to the pointer and you can move it to a new position.

I think it's probably important that the route is created in Mapsource though - and not converted from something else. PONI Killer is looking for some quite specific things (note the selection box, for the particular version of Mapsource you used...)

Here is an example of a real route:

The only difference between them, is that PONI Killer has removed the 7 intermediate points that I'd had to add to steer the route where I wanted it.
Incidentally, I was using Google Earth/Maps as a guide, so I could see the terrain. I seem to remember importing my Google efforts into Mapsource as a 'track' rather than a route and sort of 'tracing' over it.

It does need to go into Mapsource if you're going to take advantage of the 7x0's ability to follow the route precisely - because all those {rpt} entries (ie the detail) are being derived from Garmin's map data.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: