Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Transferring POIs onto new Tom Tom XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferring POIs onto new Tom Tom XL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercurial
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Transferring POIs onto new Tom Tom XL Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the right place to post this so if I've got it wrong I apologise. In any event, I hope somebody out there will be able to help with my question.

I have been running Tom Tom (Nav 5 - I think that's right) on a PDA for the last few years. Over the course of time I have added POIs, etc. to the PDA via PocketGPS (and other sources) and that has worked well. However, the unit has got rather long in the tooth and, besides which, I dropped it on to a stone floor and frankly it didn't like that very much. The Sat Nav still works but at its discretion so I've decided that it's time to replace it. I'm looking at a Tom Tom XL refurb'.

This leads me to my question: will it be possible to switch the POI files I've accumulated on the PDA on to the new Tom Tom unit? Before anybody asks, I've been in touch with Tom Tom and they weren't quite sure enough to provide anything other than a vague answer, so I was wondering if anybody on this forum might be able to help.

Any help in answering this one would be appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, put the memory card with TTN5 on it in to a card reader on your PC, use Windows Explorer to open the drive letter associated with the memory card and look for a folder named Great_Britain or Western_Europe etc, open this. In this map folder will be loads of files with extensions of .ov2 and .bmp files, you need to copy these to your PC.
The .ov2 files are the POI files which contain the location data for each custom POI category.
The .bmp files are the icons that corespond to each custom POI category.

When you get your new toy simply copy the .ov2 and .bmp files from your PC to the UK&ROI map folder or Western_Europe map folder as applicable.

Note with PDA application you will have ben limited to around 37 custom POI categories (or less depending upon exact TTN Version you have been running), your new unit will accept upto one hundred custom POI categorys, some newer devices will accept considerably more - Mike
Mercurial
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. So that means the POIs on the PDA will be compatible with the new gizmo? I noted the limitations of how many POIs could be running and from time to time I found that to be a bit of a bore. The news that it will be possible to run more on the new unit is very welcome and I shall look forward to running a broader range. Thanks again for your help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercurial wrote:
So that means the POIs on the PDA will be compatible with the new gizmo?

All TomTom products use the ov2 POI format so a custom POI file can be transfered between any software/ hardware product in the range - Mike
Mercurial
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: