Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - wind speed on 950 live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

wind speed on 950 live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: wind speed on 950 live Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 950 live which gives a weather report but when I request a report for my area Dorset it always gives me a wind speed of 1mph! every time! does any-one have an idea why? tomtom says do a complete factory reset which I have done twice now and it still won't give me a reading of more that 1mph. Surely it can't be my unit as it receives info from tomtom and they in turn get their info from a weather station. What wind speed do you get?.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a known bug so why TomTom CS have told you to festore factory settings is beyond me as that certainly won't fix it, I guess the fix might be in the next Navcore release when ever that might be - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in the meantime, lick your finger and hold it up, or chuck a couple of strands of grass in the air like Johnny Wilkinson! Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess im old fashioned, if i pay for services then i expect those services to work, tomtom included. it just annoyes me when some thing won't work as it should. I know it's only a minor problem but I have had lots of problems with my unit not working with "home" and windows 7, it does work when in compatability mode though. 2 months tomtom have been trying to get this to work.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money and stop paying for LIVE. Aside from HD Traffic occasionally proving accurate, most of it is a waste of time!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Save your money and stop paying for LIVE. Aside from HD Traffic occasionally proving accurate, most of it is a waste of time!

... & if they manage to fix the windspeed problem they'll only break something else so you'd better get used to it Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm let's see:

Fuel prices - Often broke or out of date
Weather - Do we really need it on a satnav?
HD Traffic - Waste of time, invariably wrong.
Speed Cameras - Laughing

Money well spent? Censored
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would disagree with you on the HD Traffic, I find it pretty accurate nowadays.

Google Search has also had its uses such as finding how to get to the nearest Sainsburys on holiday.

Cameras would be good if the data was accurate but its not. If only time to camera, overspeed at camera or in specs zone could be used as settings for the PGPSW cameras.
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Darren's last entry; now know this; I am a picky Censored at the best of times, just ask my wife. I have been using TomTom products daily for over 6 years and NEVER repeat NEVER have I been lost. I drive to different locations on a daily basis, often to places I have never even heard of and I always get to my destination, and usually within the specified time. Since upgrading to GO740LIVE life has been made much easier; HD Traffic has regularly taken me around problems; Google search is invaluable; often I have been given an address and postcode to visit, and in the past have often discovered I am on an Industrial Estate a mile long and with company names in tiny letters on the doors resulting in wasted time searching; now with Google search I usually get directed straight to the door. I reckon that's pretty good value for money!
As for the weather on a satnav; why not? It's probably just as accurate as weather reports on the TV/radio and I can hazard a reasonable guess as to whether I need to take a raincoat with me in the morning, without switching on the TV or computer at 5 in the morning.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I would disagree with you on the HD Traffic, I find it pretty accurate nowadays.

I've never found it to be of any use at all personally. Time after time I'm either sat in a jam with not a peep from TomTom or I'm forewarned of an incident which never materialises.

I've discussed this with other team members and we're all of the same opinion. I'd have hoped that in the SE it would be at its most accurate given the weight of users?
Quote:
Google Search has also had its uses such as finding how to get to the nearest Sainsburys on holiday.

I've used it a few times, handy yes.
Quote:
Cameras would be good if the data was accurate but its not. If only time to camera, overspeed at camera or in specs zone could be used as settings for the PGPSW cameras.

TomToms cameras area joke, no other word for it. Still getting SPECS warnings on the M3 for cameras removed over a month ago. Bloody irritating when the warnings continue from Jct 4 to the M25, so annoying I switch it off.

I'd disable them but as I'm testing I can't!

I'm not suggesting there aren't uses for the combined package, simply that, when pared down, many of them are less than useful, others borderline and speedcams more dangerous than no warning at all.

Yes weather may be nice, but would you subscribe to it as a standalone service?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
If only time to camera, overspeed at camera or in specs zone could be used as settings for the PGPSW cameras.

Meerkat noise - simple answer is that CamerAlert for iPhone does exactly that - I have mine set to warn at 30 seconds and if I care to watch (which I don't, I'm happy to have been warned) it counts down both yards and seconds. It displays the camera speed and the vehicle speed with the vehicle speed in bright red when it's overspeed (NO - I DON'T speed, but it says I'm speeding before I reach the camera until I slow down to the camera speed). For specs zones, it constantly recalculates my average speed as well as telling me my current speed, so I have 3 speeds displayed in specs zone - camera speed, my current speed and my current average speed.

I have to agree with Pieintheskyman. For me (a committed sceptic, honestly) the HD traffic is now sufficiently reliable for me to divert when it advises it - I NEVER did so with RDS Traffic (maybe I should fess up that I run four devices side by side in my van, two with RDS-TMC and two with HD Live). And the Google search is the dog's whatsits (sadly the first result for fish and chips in Barnsley on Monday locked the doors as I parked outside, but the next was spot on). I regularly use it to find or check the location of my delivery addresses - just Google a postcode for every one to show up, select and navigate to it. It's not infallible, but it was good enough in my free trial to persuade me to subscribe for it and HD Traffic. I'll agree the rest of Live services are rubbish, but for me, these two are worth every penny of my subscription.

I confess I also use Google Maps Streetview on my iPhone to see even better destination details - one day I'll get into new tech!

DERRICK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one has still not told me what wind speed their unit shows! if you have live weather what does yours read please?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DERRICK wrote:
No-one has still not told me what wind speed their unit shows! if you have live weather what does yours read please?
Mikealder posted yesterday that this is a known bug - he might be forgiven for asssuming you will interpret this as meaning the wind speed always reads 1mph wherever and on whatever device.

According to my thingy, the wind in Poole is blowing from bottom left to top right of its little box, at 1mph. There is a 5% chance of 1mm of precipitation, UV index is 4 and there is a 55% chance of sun - I think this last item is wrong on account of how it's pitch black night here in Keynsham and we're only 65 miles away, so chances are it's dark there too.

psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of interest I checked wind speed for Bucharest and Eindhoven and also Swindon, all showing either 0MPH or 1MPH.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Wind Speed Reply with quote

If wind speed is an important requirement, then try WindGuru. I have it on my iPhone and use it all the time for sailing in the Poole Harbour and surrounding areas.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: