Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanRimmer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

Just wondering what speed settings people use for the road options in tom tom ie international road/local road and so on.....

Thanks

Ian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a suggestion that we got from TomTom a while back (in miles)

Road type...................Speed set 1..........Speed set 2
Freeway............................60..........................60
International road...............45..........................45
Major road.........................45..........................45
Secondary road................40..........................40
Connecting road............... 33..........................35
Important local road...........37..........................35
Local road.........................30..........................30
Destination road................25..........................20

Eventually it is up to you to define your own settings. Whatever works best for you...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
IanRimmer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the reply would these work in the UK and what dfference do they make

cheers Smile
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the UK default ones remarkably accurate for most journeys I do, and would be very wary about fiddling with them. At first glance the figures look low, and there is a temptation to raise them - "I'm sure I drive faster than that on a motorway". Well, you do when the road is clear, but you don't if there are queues, and the 'average' figures take account of a mix of open road and slower traffic.

There are situations when they will be wrong: for example motorway driving late at night when the roads are empty, or long stretches of road that have a speed limit which is not typical for the type of raod and which TT doesn't know about.

But these are exceptions. In 'normal' driving I almost always arrive within 5 minutes of the initally predicted time for journeys of 2 - 2.5 hours, and sometimes I've arrived exactly on time. I think that's pretty good! I certianly wouldn't fiddle with the values.

Paul
psionman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried a couple of (longish) journies - 1 to 2 hours, and I agree that the predicted time is faily good. I also agree that traffic conditions (in the UK that means CONGESTION) have a big effect.

I'm interested in the algorithm used by TomTom to calculate ETA. Does it just used the sum of miles left / set speed for each road type, or does take account of your current speed over the last so many minutes? I had a computer on my last car that worked that way
IanRimmer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for that your right figures did seem low so i upped them to 70mph for motorways and so on but have not done any long distance driving with this yet ....think ill reset them to normal

Cheers Ian
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main significance of the speeds you set is in selecting the quickest route. If you set motorway speeds a lot faster than other roads, TomTom will take you a long way round to maximise the amount of motorway used. I find fine-tuning the speeds a useful way of making TomTom choose the sort of route I prefer. I have chosen 63,62,53,47,40,34,20,15
The time to destination is just a mathematical calculation based on the roads left until you arrive and the speed you have set for each type of road. It takes no account of the speed you are actually driving at.
Robin
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionman wrote:
I'm interested in the algorithm used by TomTom to calculate ETA. Does it just used the sum of miles left / set speed for each road type, or does take account of your current speed over the last so many minutes?

I'm pretty certain it's the former. I've always assumed that anyway. In fact I think that the latter, though it sounds clever, would be less accurate unless your whole journey was one type of road and driving condition all the way (e.g. motorway with traffic jam all the way from present position to destination).

Paul
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
The time to destination is just a mathematical calculation based on the roads left until you arrive and the speed you have set for each type of road. It takes no account of the speed you are actually driving at. Robin

Question is though, if you get stuck in a huge traffic jam that you can't avoid or re-route from, what happens to the ETA. Will it still blindly assume you will arrive at it's predicted time? Or will it (smartly) recalculate from your current position (after the jam) and update the ETA. I understand that it would be stupid to constantly recalculate every time you slow down or speed up, but does it at least do this every 25-50 miles to make sure you have a resonable ETA? Or is it just easier to reselect your destination, resulting in a fresh route search after the jam? When I say jam, I mean a big accident that holds things up for more than 10-15 mins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anarchy-inc wrote:
Question is though, if you get stuck in a huge traffic jam that you can't avoid or re-route from, what happens to the ETA. Will it still blindly assume you will arrive at it's predicted time? Or will it (smartly) recalculate from your current position (after the jam) and update the ETA. I understand that it would be stupid to constantly recalculate every time you slow down or speed up, but does it at least do this every 25-50 miles to make sure you have a resonable ETA? Or is it just easier to reselect your destination, resulting in a fresh route search after the jam? When I say jam, I mean a big accident that holds things up for more than 10-15 mins.

It looks at the distance remaining and calculates the time using the set speeds. If you get stuck on a motorway, the ETA will continually get recalculated and get later and later and will be the time as if the blockage was just clearing. It seems to do this on a continual basis

Steve
Morty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

This reply goes of at a slight tangent but it may interest you.
My last company car completed 86,000 miles in three years with an average speed of 48 mph. That includes a hellva lot of motor way miles.
TT2 arrival time was normally within 5 mins each way and it did update it self reguarly as I often kept an eye on it.
My current car 7 months old 18.000 miles has an average speed of 56 mph
And again TT2 arrival is usually within 5 mins each way.
Just to make things clear the arrival time was checked when starting and I am only counting journeys with out major hold ups.
The average speed of my first car was never reset during the 3 year period that I drove it.
Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: