Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New map installed on my tom tom 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New map installed on my tom tom 910
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: New map installed on my tom tom 910 Reply with quote

Hi
I have just updated the map on my tom tom 910 but I have lost all of my GPS world speed camera alerts and the spoken voice to warn me of what type of camera etc I was approaching. I assume that somehow or other installing the new map has deleted / over written the speed camera warnings.
I guess I will need to install the speed cameras again but please will you remind me what I need to do to get the spoken commands onto my tom tom again
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a backup of the Map prior to the update, the quickest recovery is to restore the backup copy of MapSettings.cfg to overwrite the new one that was created when the Map was installed.

If they still don't work, make sure that the necessary files (ov2, bmp and ogg), are in the current Map Folder.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Installing voice commands Reply with quote

Thanks for such a quick reply Richard.

I'm not an expert with it comes to tom tom so please will you tell me in simple terms how i can do what you say below:-

"If they still don't work, make sure that the necessary files (ov2, bmp and ogg), are in the current Map Folder".

Where do I get these from, it was quite some time ago that I put the voice commands on there and I can't remember how it was done.

When you say current Map folder is that the folder that contains my map for UK/ western Europe????

Thanks

JImmy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Map you have is probably called Western_and_Central_Europe.

If you have upgraded the Map like for like (just a version upgrade), then the Files should still exist in the W & C Europe Folder.

The ov2 and bmp files you get from the camera Download Page, making your choice from the Drop Down List.

The ogg files can be selected from the Voice Alerts Page.

Try the Voice Samples, to find which you prefer, and use Click Here to see which Voice Files are available. Note that not all voices have KPH warnings!

Did you try using a Backup Copy of the MapSettings.cfg File?

jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: installing voice commands Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, sorry I've not got back to you sooner, been a bit busy in work !!!!!

You said "If you have upgraded the Map like for like (just a version upgrade), then the Files should still exist in the W & C Europe Folder" but I have just checked in there and there are no files ending in ogg.

What is the difference between downloading UK Consolidated by Type or downloading UK Speed Zone Complete ????

Is is best to down load one or the other ????

You said "Did you try using a Backup Copy of the MapSettings.cfg File?" but I'm sorry as I really don't know that much about how my tom tom works or what the various files do.

Where would I find this backup copy that you mentioned???

I have followed the link to the instruction page you mentioned and read:-

" To install, download the correct package type that matches your safety camera download type, i.e. if you use the 'Consolidated by type' version of the database you will need the 'Consolidated by type' sound file set."

I have just done the above step by downloading the latest update and I did it by using the:- UK Consolidated by type version, however I cannot see any mention of " Consolidated by type " sound file set , as is mentioned above.

I think finally I should mention something else to you which might have a bearing on my problem, Now that I have downloaded the new map from Tom Tom, my usual alarms which used to sound before I approached a speed camera ( i.e. Beep Beep) have also stopped working since downloading the new map. Does this mean anything to you.

Very sorry, but there are quite a lot of details in my message above, I hope you can understand what I am trying to let you know !!!!

If you need anything else, please let me know

Once again
Many thanks
Jimmy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: installing voice commands Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
Thanks for the replies, sorry I've not got back to you sooner, been a bit busy in work !!!!!

You said "If you have upgraded the Map like for like (just a version upgrade), then the Files should still exist in the W & C Europe Folder" but I have just checked in there and there are no files ending in ogg.

You will only see them if you have Windows Explorer set to show the file extensions. This option is fould in Explorer's Tools menu / Folder Options / "View" tab - tick the box for "Show extensions for known file types.
If they still aren't there, let's just start again with a fresh download. See below.

jimmymerlin wrote:
What is the difference between downloading UK Consolidated by Type or downloading UK Speed Zone Complete ????
Is is best to down load one or the other ????

Consolidated - you only get told what sort of camera you are approaching
Speed-zoned - you are told the type and the speed
So the speed zoned is BETTER. Use it.

jimmymerlin wrote:
You said "Did you try using a Backup Copy of the MapSettings.cfg File?" but I'm sorry as I really don't know that much about how my tom tom works or what the various files do.

Where would I find this backup copy that you mentioned???

You would only find it if you had made a backup before updating the map (as you should always do from now on - Don't use TomTom Home for this, use Windows Explorer. Instructions are in our FAQs)
If you didn't make a backup, ignore the suggestion.

jimmymerlin wrote:
I have just done the above step by downloading the latest update and I did it by using the:- UK Consolidated by type version,

See above - use the speed zoned instead.

jimmymerlin wrote:
however I cannot see any mention of " Consolidated by type " sound file set , as is mentioned above.

The different voice file sets are available in different formats. Some have the consolidated AND the speed-zoned, some have one or the other.

jimmymerlin wrote:
I think finally I should mention something else to you which might have a bearing on my problem, Now that I have downloaded the new map from Tom Tom, my usual alarms which used to sound before I approached a speed camera ( i.e. Beep Beep) have also stopped working since downloading the new map. Does this mean anything to you.

If you update a sat nav, you often have to re-do some of your personal settings.
If the beep,beep is from TomTom's own camera warnings it is switched on or off in the Safewty Alerts sub-menu on the TomTom.
If the beep,beep is from a previous set-up of PocketGPSWorld's camera warnings it is switched on or off in the Manage POIs / Warn when near POIs menu for each camera type and or speed.

===

I would suggest you do the following:
1. delete everything with names beginning with "PocketGPS... " from your named map folder, so you are starting from scratch.
Then:
2. download the UK Speed zoned camera data files from HEREand follow the install instructions for them HERE.
3. Download the "Text To Speech - Simon" speed zoned voice files from HERE and use the "METHOD 2" instructions at the bottom of the same page to install them.

Do that, and it will all work.
jazzym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a related question. I have just installed a new map and all the GPS camera's remain but I have lost all the warnings. The ogg files are there but they are not attched with the proximity setting to the POI.

If I can an old cfg file and copy that to the map folder, will that fix things, without breaking any of the recent camera updates i downloaded last night?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzym wrote:
I have a related question. I have just installed a new map and all the GPS camera's remain but I have lost all the warnings. The ogg files are there but they are not attched with the proximity setting to the POI.

Do you mean they just aren't working straight off, or have you tried to do the warning set up again and it still isn't working?

jazzym wrote:
If I can an old cfg file and copy that to the map folder, will that fix things, without breaking any of the recent camera updates i downloaded last night?

It might, or it might send the TT into a re-booting loop.
If it does that, it is usually possible to fix it by using the on-screen emulator in Home. While running the emulator, create a new favourite or just edit an existing one. That will re-write the mapsettings.cfg file and it will probably work.

To be honest though. I always think it is safer to just re-enter the warnings again. That way you know you've got a file that the system is happy with.

Going back to your first question, if you HAVE tried to do the set-up again and it still isn't working, try the alternative method ("Method 2" in the instructions at the bottom of THIS PAGE.

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
jazzym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy_p. I will take your advice on setting the warnings again. I know this will work, it is just a pain setting 20+ warnings every time I do a map update.

So next time I update a map I should copy the cfg file before the update, then copy it back after the update - right? Then I should have all my favourites, speed warnings etc in place as I did before the map update?

Why does tomtom make all this so difficult? Why can't they recognise customisations?

Anyhow - thanks for the advice
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzym wrote:

So next time I update a map I should copy the cfg file before the update, then copy it back after the update - right? Then I should have all my favourites, speed warnings etc in place as I did before the map update?

Maybe... maybe not.
If you only update the map itself, I think it will usually work. But if you update the software at the same time it probably won't.

I guess it all depends on how much they change the format of the file between versions.

This is where the trick with Home that I mentioned above often helps.
For some reason, just making a change to a favourite while in the Home "Operate my Go" emulator will rewrite the file to be compatible again.

jazzym wrote:
Why does tomtom make all this so difficult? Why can't they recognise customisations?

I believe they do keep trying to make it work, but don't seem to be able to get it to work for everybody, every time!
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Follow on from current thread on POI's Reply with quote

Hi
I have followed the advice of Andy_P and deleted all the PWGPS files from my Tom tom to start again.

So, I deleted all of the files, no problem here.

Downloaded the new files for the UK and Europe using the speed zone option, no problems here.

Opened up my Tom Tom via my PC and using copy & Paste copied all of the new speed warning files into my tom tom, no problem here.

BUT.... now when I operate my tom tom and look for the POI's in my Tom Tom to set up the warning speeds I can only see the Europe files in there, yet if I connect my Tom Tom to my PC and look in the Western Europe map folder it shows that the UK files and the Europe files are in there. So for some reason or other when I try to operate my Tom Tom using the various menus to manage the POI's, the UK ones are strangely missing !!!!

Have you any ideas please???

Thanks

JimmyMerlin
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing is to count the number of OV2 Files in the Folder.

It's been a long time but I think the 910 can only 'handle' 169 with Navcore 7.903.

If you have less than that, try a pin-in-the-hole reset.

jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: POI's continued Reply with quote

Hi
I've just counted the number of ov2 files stored in my Tom Tom western Europe map and there are 336 ( give or take 1 or 2 if my counting wasn't spot on !!! )

Thanks

Jimmy Merlin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The you need to delete at least 167 custom POI files from the map folder because "Oldboy" is spot on with the limit, even the very latest devices only support 255 Custom POI files, you are stuck with a limit of 169.

If you have all the fuel POI categories from this site consider the "Combine Sub-Cats" option where you can roll quite a few Fuel POI Categories in to a single file reducing the number of categories but not the number of locations, lets face it when you need fuel you don't really bother as to where it comes from! - Same applies to ATM's who is interested in which bank, all you want is some cash - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Same applies to ATM's who is interested in which bank, all you want is some cash - Mike

I always find money from Coutts feels nicer, as it hasn't been touched by the lower classes. Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: