Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Switch to night colours when dark - x940 & Navcore 9.054
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Switch to night colours when dark - x940 & Navcore 9.054
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davemcwish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Switch to night colours when dark - x940 & Navcore 9.054 Reply with quote

Unfortunately I upgraded the s/w before I read the problems however another bug has appeard on my device that I haven't experienced before.

Before upgrading the software (to 9.054.531676.1) I had my 940 set to Switch to night colours when dark. I now find I cannot get this to work.

After setting a day and night colour I have gone into
'Brightness preferences' and put a checkmark next to 'Reduce brightness when dark' and 'Switch to night colours when dark'.

Even after doing this my device doesn't automatically switch the colour scheme as in used to under s/w v8.

Has anyone else found this and more importantly any idea as to a fix ?

In the meantime, I've logged a support ticket with TomTom.

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the device in the car mount when trying the screen dimming function, the auto backlight doesn't work unless the x40 is in the car dock - Mike
davemcwish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mike - tried it in my car last night in the usual Brodit holder that it's always been in.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the clock set correct, I thought the time had something to do with when it changes from day to night?

aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is light sensor based. when I drive a few hours before sunset if I drive along a tree lined road the darker light level causes the night colours to activate, but then when back in the open day colours come back on again.

JoolsTwo wrote:
Is the clock set correct, I thought the time had something to do with when it changes from day to night?
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't think mine has a sensor, on winter mornings whilst driving it will swap to day colours shortly before the sun rises, that's why I thought it was time based.

davemcwish
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:

I can't recall ever setting the time - though it got it from the GPS. In terms of switching day/night in my car it happens when I go through tunnels so isn't time dependent.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:
I thought the time had something to do with when it changes from day to night?

Yes, but but that's how it works on a ONE.
We're talking about a Go x40 here, which does have a light sensor.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davemcwish wrote:
JoolsTwo wrote:

I can't recall ever setting the time - though it got it from the GPS. In terms of switching day/night in my car it happens when I go through tunnels so isn't time dependent.

There is an option to set the time by syncing with GPS time, when you set the time, but I don't think it's automatically done (well not on mine anyway)

Quote:
Yes, but but that's how it works on a ONE.
We're talking about a Go x40 here, which does have a light sensor.

I realise that, just suggesting something else to check that may also have an effect.

Personally I'd find it rather annoying for it to change to night colours every time I went through a tunnel or trees.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:

Personally I'd find it rather annoying for it to change to night colours every time I went through a tunnel or trees.

I find the exact opposite. The progressive "DIM" (rather then "change to night colours") is excellent when going through a tunnel, whereas I find the sudden 2one step"change from day to night mode at a certain time rather distracting (especially as it never seems to happen at the right time for the conditions).

Unfortunately, TT have solved some minor software issues with the light sensor by dropping it from the recent hardware.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Unfortunately, TT have solved some minor software issues with the light sensor by dropping it from the recent hardware.

All the x50 devices have the same light sensor as the x40 its just not used, instead its replaced with a location and time based day/ night switch, x40 was a better bet for accurate screen illumination in most if not all driving conditions - one notable exception was driving along a road covered with dense tree cover, each time it gets daylight it switched to day then plunging back to night mode but you don't see this too often - Mike
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

I find it irritating when my 720 switches over while driving through roads with tree cover. It should be simple to fix - if sensor gives digital value of light level, then use hysteresis style switching (i.e. switch to daylight mode at higher light levels than switching to Night mode) and/or put a delay in switching and if switched back within a couple mins - don’t switch
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I prefer the "dim the screen when dark" option rather than the "change to night colours when dark", but I still think your idea is a good one.
Unfortunately, I can't see TT doing any more software tweaks to it as they seem to have given up on light sensors completely and that means (even more annoyingly for me) they seem to be dropping the "dim" option as well on all their new devices.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the few uses I have had for the voice control, switching between day and night colours. I also get the impression that when colours are switched by voice, it is only temporary, so when you next use the device it reverts to its normal setting.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is really needed is to dim the display when it's dark and change to night colours at a certain time, that way you would effectively have 3 schemes.
I presume if you use the same scheme for day and night, you just get it dimmed at night.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: