Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT won't sell me the update service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT won't sell me the update service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: TT won't sell me the update service Reply with quote

Despite TT's web site which states "The Map Update Service is available to all TomTom customers in the USA, with subscription prices available for maps of the USA, CAN, MEX and European maps." they tell me that the reason TT Home does not offer me the update service for European maps in my TT930 is because it is not available for the European maps in the USA.

After going through checking the current map, TT software and Home versions, the support droid told me he'd asked his superior if this was really true and was told yes. I called back, and after another half hour on hold I got the same support droid. I guess I'll try again when he will be off shift and hope for a different answer.

TT have completely failed to respond to the same question entered on the web site two weeks ago.

I'm sure it has previously offered me an update subscription for the European maps, but not now I would actually buy it (I do have a US update subscription.) If anyone else has experienced this, is there something in the TT itself which can affect this?

(While I realize that the subscription doesn't offer much in each three monthly increment, by the time you add all the increments in the final one, it is probably worth the small amount extra.)
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it came with the european maps when you bought it i cant see why you cant update them.
i just bought a refurb 930 and it let me update the north american maps with no problem.

looking on the TT american page http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps.php?ID=464&Lid=4&Category=14 it states:
Quote:
Coverage:
Detailed coverage in Western Europe:
Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark,Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, San Marino, Spain (including Canary Islands), Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, and Vatican City.

Detailed coverage in Eastern Europe:
The Russian Federation, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

Road Connector coverage in Eastern Europe:
Coverage of major roads to allow guided navigation from city to city and around the borders of neighbouring counties: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia and Ukraine.

Maps of North America:
This latest map is the most complete and accurate map ever released of the USA and Canada. It also contains a separate map of Guam.
[url][/url]
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might not work, but have you tried switching to the Europe map before you connect to Home?

I find you have to do that in order to get MapShare updates for each map, so Home *might* be doing something similar for this.
rireed3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On TomTom.com, the 930 is sold with full Europe and North America. Is that different if you buy it in the US? Why wouldn't you be able to buy an update service for everything on it?
MrDJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like the customer support dont know what they are on about.
the quote in my above post shows all the maps and areas the american 930 has.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could understand that each map will require its own "Map Update Subscription" but cannot see why it won't let you purchase an update for something you own!!
Try as Andy has suggested though and switch maps prior to connecting to Home - Mike
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made sure that I already had the European map selected before I tried to update the European map (and, to his credit, the support droid did so too).

I'm familiar with the need to select each map in order to get map share updates for that also.

I think this is just another stupid TT stunt. I'm considering restoring the 930 to out-of-the-box condition, and trying again. However I am painfully familiar with how difficult it can be to get even a full restore to work (from a backup taken using Windows Explorer), so I'm not overly keen on that route.

If TT want to retain customers instead of them switching to smartphones for navigation, they really need to get their act together. Not that I'm holding my breath on score that after several years experience, first with a 910 and now the 930.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of issues have you faced after an Explorer restore of a backup??
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
What kind of issues have you faced after an Explorer restore of a backup??

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=83287&highlight=
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom would not let me buy the map update service again after my first year had expired. The way I worked around this bug was to connect to Home then logout of Home but remaining connected. Home then offered me the update service which I put in my basket and it then asked me to log in to complete the purchase which I did and it worked.
norrisg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
My TomTom would not let me buy the map update service again after my first year had expired. The way I worked around this bug was to connect to Home then logout of Home but remaining connected. Home then offered me the update service which I put in my basket and it then asked me to log in to complete the purchase which I did and it worked.

This, I will try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, it would have worked, but TT no longer seem to be able to process my credit cards. Sigh. Both MC and Visa rejected.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: