Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with user, POILoader or GeePeeEx Editor?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with user, POILoader or GeePeeEx Editor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Problem with user, POILoader or GeePeeEx Editor? Reply with quote

I subscribe to the GPSPassion site for a listing of French fixed and mobile cameras and have done for the last four years. I downloaded these into a database and then split them into speeds e.g. 50km fixed etc.

I used to have a number in the filenames e.g. radarssf080.csv but understand that POIloader then uses that to flag the speed etc. which would explain the constant 'bonging' as one went down the Autoroute. This year I used GeePeeEx Editor to convert the csv files to gpx files and to give a warning at a fixed distance (800m) and speed.

I used POILoader to create the POI file from these files using km etc. and Express mode. A typical group of files looked like this:-

J:\GARMIN POI\FRANCE\ Radarsfeighty.bmp
J:\GARMIN POI\FRANCE\ Radarsfeighty.gpx
J:\GARMIN POI\FRANCE\ RadarsfEighty.mp3
J:\GARMIN POI\FRANCE\ RadarsfEighty.wav

The wave file and mp3 file are there because I use a 765 as the main system and a 255 as backup after what happened to the 765 last year.

These were loaded onto a separate SD card.

In France, there was no audible warning of speed cameras nor were they visible on the screen as I went past them. If I went into custom POI to set a destination, then I could chose one and it would show on the map.

Other POIs that I included (e.g. Large supermarkets) showed up with no problem.

The question is, what was I doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Allan
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's a typo, Allan, but given that filenames MUST be IDENTICAL, I would just point out that you say
Quote:
I used to have a number in the filenames e.g. radarssf080.csv ...
and then you say
Quote:
A typical group of files looked like this:-

J:\GARMIN POI\FRANCE\ Radarsfeighty.bmp...

Spot the double 'ss' in one and the single 's' in the other?

Just a thought.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I moved across to the all letter format this year so that batch is typical of the new format.

Is it case sensitive as I noticed that a capital letter has crept in?

Many thanks,

Allan
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think filenames are case sensitive. And I take it you've got all the camera-related files in the same folder. Did the general POIs go through GeePeeEx as well? I take it that POILoader is happy with .gpx for camera files? (Just wondering if it only applies settings to certain formats?

Afraid I'm guessing a bit now, as it seems to be since you changed your loading approach, so I'd better let someone more used to the process offer some ideas (I haven't used it myself for a few years now).
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with user, POILoader or GeePeeEx Editor? Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:

I used POILoader to create the POI file from these files using km etc. and Express mode. A typical group of files looked like this:-

J:\GARMIN POI\FRANCE\ Radarsfeighty.bmp
J:\GARMIN POI\FRANCE\ Radarsfeighty.gpx
J:\GARMIN POI\FRANCE\ RadarsfEighty.mp3
J:\GARMIN POI\FRANCE\ RadarsfEighty.wav

The wave file and mp3 file are there because I use a 765 as the main system and a 255 as backup after what happened to the 765 last year.

Which unit were you using - the 765 or the 255?

If it was the 255, I would suspect that the presence of both .mp3 and .wav files could be the cause. POILoader will only associate one audio file with a POI (even though the .GPI format supports multiple files). If you'd ended up with a GPI file containing MP3 custom audio alerts, it obviously wouldn't play on the 255.

To debug this, we probably need to know what actually ended up in the .gpi file. I have a copy of Garmin's GPI_Viewer tool that might shed some light...

If you email the .gpi file to me at 14072010@hornby.me.uk , I'll have a look.

BigPerk wrote:
I don't think filenames are case sensitive.

You're right!
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. I was using the 765 which didn't work so I moved the SD card to the 255 and that didn't work either. I will send you a sample gpx file.

The funny thing is that I do exactly the same in the UK (i.e. have both types of sound file and produce a single POI file using POIloader and then copy it to both units) and everything works fine in both units. Maybe the Garmin itself ignores sound file that it can't play?????

Many, many thanks,

Allan
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
Thanks for this.

I sent you an email, but for the benefit of other readers, the problem appears to be that only the first entry in each gpx file has a proximity value set.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha! The old problem of idiot user!

Many thanks for the prompt response and patience.

Allan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: