Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Travelling Abroad
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Travelling Abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul_Hanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Travelling Abroad Reply with quote

We'll be travelling in Europe this summer holiday and have two questions I can't find the answer to in the database.

1) Does the normal speed camera database that I download for my tomtom include speed cameras for Europe or do I need to download an additional database?

2) If the normal database does include European speed cameras are these in mph or kph as this will make a big difference?

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else but it's not obvious.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you'll need to download the EUR database as well. The option is on the drop-down box next to "Download a different version" on the download page. They have different filenames to the UK set so both can run side-by-side.

You'll need to set up the alerts for these once they are downloaded. Remember to download the extra icons and/or voices if you wish as well.

The EUR database is in km/h. That's the main reason why they are separate downloads in the first place.
Brodit ProClip mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Travelling Abroad Reply with quote

Paul_Hanson wrote:
Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else but it's not obvious.

ahem, from the download page:

Paul_Hanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys - it seems so simple but as I alsways download the same ov2 files the shortcut your system provides doesn't give this option. I had to go back as if I was doing it for the first time and reselect the appropriate files for my satnav.

I also went to download the voice files but the link for the european ones are broken. Could you look into this?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_Hanson wrote:
I also went to download the voice files but the link for the european ones are broken. Could you look into this?

Which link? It's working for me:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/speed-camera-and-poi-voice-alerts.php
Paul_Hanson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

The link I was using was at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-safety-camera-voice-alerts-b2054.php and as I wanted the european kph ones I clicked on Kate and was taken to a not found page!

Any ideas
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_Hanson wrote:
Hi Darren

The link I was using was at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-safety-camera-voice-alerts-b2054.php and as I wanted the european kph ones I clicked on Kate and was taken to a not found page!

Any ideas

Ah, that is an old format. The page was long since superceded.

I'll will annotate it now with the correct new links.
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul_Hanson wrote:
Many thanks guys - it seems so simple but as I alsways download the same ov2 files the shortcut your system provides doesn't give this option. I had to go back as if I was doing it for the first time and reselect the appropriate files for my satnav.

----------

I have exactly the same problem. The system does not give me the option to change database, having downloaded the uk one in the past.

How can you 'go back as if doing it for the first time'?

It's extraordinary that such a simple operation is clouded in confusion.

Tim

PS Later - Just got there! I had to scroll down the satnav type menu to and chose again ov2 - not just accept the one on the second line of the choices.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:

How can you 'go back as if doing it for the first time'?

It's extraordinary that such a simple operation is clouded in confusion.

It's extraordinary that it seems to cause some people problems!

Seriously though, have you any suggestions how it could be made any easier?

There are about 30 different Sat-Nav systems to cater for, so the one you want has to be selected (in the first box).

Then you have to choose between UK, Europe, etc and it clearly says the UK cameras are not included with the Europe ones (because of MPH and km/h).
That's done in the second box, along with wether you want the data split up into speeds or just camera types.

That's it! Two drop-down boxes to make YOUR choices in. How can it get any simpler?

But there were still some people who said that was too much effort to go to every week, so by popular demand, PGPSW added the "Download the same as you chose last time" button. Obviously that 'does what it says on the tin'.

If you can still cater for all the possible options for all the different subscribers in an easier way, I'm sure the team would love to hear your ideas!
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I guess for simpletons like me, your web designer could add one other button that says 'new database' or something along those lines.
Or if not, simple instructions on the page on how to do it.
Interesting that I wasn't the only one foxed.

Tim
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually says 'To Download A Different Version', with a big arrow pointing to the combo box. The problem people seem to have is that they just don't scroll down past the 'Download same version' button and it's a drop down combo box not a 'Button'.
But as it's a problem to some. I also believe that it could be clearer, and perhaps higher on the page so that the user does not have to scroll down Very Happy
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It actually says 'To Download A Different Version', with a big arrow pointing to the combo box. The problem people seem to have is that they just don't scroll down past the 'Download same version' button

Perhaps a simple rewording 'To Download A Different or additional database' would solve the problem?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea from 'mpwilson99' (he wasn't sure how to post up an image so emailed it to me...)

Quote:
As you may have read from my previous posts before, i no longer actually use the download page to get my required speed camera updates.
All I use is a link which i cut and paste into the address bar and away we go! - all my zip files I need come down in seconds.

By using this assumption, that the links will stay, or at least be easy to work with, they could also be used in a program to get them for the user, thus going one step further to save the cutting and pasting!.. see attached.

Let me know what you think, a silly idea?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marcus,
As you can see I've posted your pic, and copied the text you sent by email.

It looks good, but I'm not sure if this is something you've already done for yourself, or just an idea?

If it was an idea for something a user would create for himself, do you have any idea how to achieve it (I wouldn't!)

But if it was an idea for how the download process could look on the PGPSW website, I'm not sure how it would work...
Don't forget they have to cater for about 30 different satnav systems, not just TomTom, so how it would end up behaving much different from the current drop down boxes to select satnav brand and then download version?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoolsTwo wrote:

Perhaps a simple rewording 'To Download A Different or additional database' would solve the problem?

My personal view is that it is pretty simple to select from the two drop-down boxes anyway. That's what I do every time because I have to download extra versions for the verifying process, so I never want to "download the same again"!

If people are getting into a muddle because they keep pressing "download the same again" and can't work out how to get back to the start of the selection process, my solution would be to just get rid of the "download the same again" box completely; but you can guess how popular that decision would be!

-------------------------------

To be sure we are all looking at the same thing, THIS is what the download section looks like currently:

I don't think there is ANY confusion about it. If you want to download the same version as last time, there's a button to click on. If you want something different, it seems obvious to me what you do next.

Rest assured, the exact wording has been agonised over by the staff and moderators in the past and has been "tweaked" more than once before. We just don't seem to be able to please everyone!

HOWEVER, maybe, as M8TJT suggested earlier, the only problem is what you get to see on a smaller monitor?

This is what I see when I first open up the download page on my 1024x768 monitor (small by today's standards!)

So, yes, the second part of the selection process is off the bottom of the screen and I need to scroll down to see it.
Is that all that people are complaining about?
If so, maybe the webpage does need a slight redesign to put those parts further up the page.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: