Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 750 Live - use of 4Gb card - updating maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

750 Live - use of 4Gb card - updating maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: 750 Live - use of 4Gb card - updating maps Reply with quote

Hi,
Just got the above and am aready in a bit of bother. Have read a lot of the FAQs etc in particular Wendolene's posts but am now stuck.
I have backed up the device using Windows Explorer to my computer and thought I had copied the files to the 4Gb card but I obviously haven't as after having been on TT Home and done some minor updating (not the maps) and selected the 4Gb card for updating I have now discovered I only have 2 small files on there (ephem & poi) which are write protected and cannot be deleted. TT Home says that I have 127MB free internally and 3875Mb free on the card.
This is my first satnav and I am presently clueless. Any help would be appreciated.
jack
PS I am getting a new PC in about 10 days time with Windows 7 installed - will Tom Tom's and your safety cam info work on this OS?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the card out of the device and put it into a card reader, then format it, then copy your Windows Explorer backup from the PC onto it whilst it is in the card reader, not in your TT device.

Disconnect everything (properly, using Home, select from top left menu Device, Disconnect Device, wait until it has switched off and rebooted to the screen which asks if you want to connect to Computer and answer NO). Switch off the TT and close Home. (Always use this method of disconnecting from the computer).

Put your newly copied SD card into your card reader and start Home. It should now recognise your SDHC card as a TomTom and you can treat it as such within Home for updating without the 750 connected. After updating, stick the card back into the 750 and it'll run from the card when you switch it on, not the internal memory.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
Many thanks for responding. However, I can't format the card because of the 2 small write protected files. Any ideas?
jack.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got me beat there! I've just done format of a 4GB card with all TomTom stuff, including ephem and poi folders (not files) and it worked fine.

How did you go about the format? I simply right clicked the drive letter for the card and selected format, quick format and it was done in no time?

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've just realised I didn't answer abouty your new PC. I have Windows 7 - the database and TomToms work fine.

jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,
I've done just as you did and the response is "The disk is write protected". I've restarted the PC and tried again with the same result. I'm baffled. My PC is NTFS wheras the card is FAT32 - I don't think that is significant is it? I'm plowing my way through Windows Help with nothing found so far. I guess I need to change the folders/files attributes somehow. Anyone know how? jack.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not split this into two sections?

Firstly, you obviously have a problem between your SD card and the PC which you can investigate withou the TT being involved at all.
Secondly, why did you want to move the maps etc onto the card in the first place? There ARE some reasons why you might want to do that, but the vast majority of TomTom users never feel the need to and continue with the internal memory only.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the attributes is outside my brain, I'm afraid. I too have ephem and poi folders and they are shown as read only. I tried unchecking that and it didn't work. I tried adding archive attribute and that didn't work either. I tried simply pressing the delete button and that didn't work either. BUT formatting (FAT32) DID work, no problem. You ARE doing it in a card reader, not the TomTom?

How are you with the command prompt? Attrib something or other? (Help attrib, but I've just tried that myself and can't seem to succeed in changing the attrib of a folder and anyway, in Win Explorer Properties say Read only for contents only, so it's not the folder itself, but the contents but they show as all Archive, not Read Only!!!. Format F:

Let's hope somebody with brains comes along!

As a last resort, I'd assume they were created or had stuff put into them, by TT Home during update. Therefore, I'd simply copy everything to the card as I previously suggested, without the format, then go ahead and using the card in the card reader, start Home and do any updates - I'd guess Home will be able to overwrite them.

jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
Once again thank you for your efforts. I have tried to remove these folders without success. I've tried to copy my backup folder onto the card resulting in this message: " Cannot copy signpost_li: The disk is write protected. Remove the write protection or use another disk." I think that the reference to i refers to the Drive I on my PC for the card.

Andy P,
My internal memory has not had the maps updated as there is no room on the 2Gb memory so I wanted to shift everything to the card a la Wendolene before updating the maps. I think I may have another worry there as I refused the initial Home logon offer of the free maps update and now new maps seem to be being priced. What next?

I do hope that I can get this sorted as this is getting wearisome. My partner wants to get me away from the PC!

Living in hope that some soul maybe able to help. jack.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbarry wrote:

My internal memory has not had the maps updated as there is no room on the 2Gb memory so I wanted to shift everything to the card a la Wendolene before updating the maps. I think I may have another worry there as I refused the initial Home logon offer of the free maps update and now new maps seem to be being priced. What next?

You should be able to access the Latest Map Guarantee at any time in the first 30 days from purchase by going to the Tools menu in Home and selecting "Use Latest Map Guarantee". DON'T use the main "Update my device" section.

Depending on the map it offers you, it should either fit or Home should either suggest a couple of things to get rid of to make it fit - the pointless "raster" images are one usual suggestion.

Also, as you reckon it was Home which put the locked files on the SD card in the first place, what happens if you just put the card back in the TT and run the LMG in Home? I know that's contrary to what others have said, but the TT *should* be a perfectly good card reader in itself.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me you haven't got the little locking tab on the card set to locked?

How many mates/neighbours have you got with PCs to try formatting that damned card on theirs?

Tell me you live in Keynsham and I'll call round and collect it to do it myself!!

jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
You are spot on mate! Thank you for your attention to detail. I said that while I might have had a compter since 1984 I am still a novice in some areas - only got the card reader last Friday.
I have deleted the 2 folders so the disk/card is empty again - I assume that I don't have to format it now. I can't do anything else today as I have to goto North Wales in 30 mins so I shall start the whole process again some time tomorrow.
Given that, I think it was Paul, who said that using a reader & 4Gb card is not necessarily a good idea, what is your view?
Thanks again, jack.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want my view too....
Put the card in the TT, run Home, use the Latest Map Guarantee, see if it works.

That SHOULD be the "normal" way of doing it and Home SHOULD cope with putting it onto the SD card fine.

If it doesn't, then we can lead you through the more complicated ways.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let you into a secret - my own SD card was locked when I went to format it (but it's just a backup copy and I had done that deliberately so that it couldn't get wiped).

Andy has been around here a lot longer than I have, so (without formatting) you could go the way he suggests, simply stick the blank card in the 720 and go for that map - nothing to lose except a little time and it will save a fair bit of time if it works (copying to the card will take quite a few minutes).

The real reason why I do it with the card in a reader and not in the TomTom is so that nothing nasty can happen to my TomTom whilst connected to Home - new SD cards are cheap as chips, but the TT device isn't!

Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Secondly, why did you want to move the maps etc onto the card in the first place?

Surely that is really a question that the forum management does not need to ask in relation to the TomTom Go Live 750, even though it would have been a perfectly reasonable question for someone using a TomTom Go 910 with its massive 20GB mini hard drive on board memory.

I personally had the joy of wasting several hours of my life trying to update the 750 Live I bought a relative last xmas with the latest Map Guarantee Europe map (after already updating the Navcore and adding just a few small recorded voices like Vicki) only to find that the Map Guarantee download failed part way through install (after wiping out the previous map on the internal memory) due to TomTom's unbelievable shortsighted meanness in saving may be 2USD production cost by only fitting the 750 with 2GB onboard memory instead of the 4GB it lied to customers on its website for a long period that the unit came with.

Fortunately I did have a complete backup on my computer hard drive but was distinctly less than impressed with TomTom Customer Supports official solution for dealing with the problem. The unit now suffers from periodic unexplained occasional map freezes that may well have been caused by the TomTom bodge it and scarper map update fix.

All this by way of saying that buying the largest and fastest mini SD card you can afford and installing everything on that is a jolly good idea in the case of the Go 750 Live.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: