Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fuel help needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel help needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Fuel help needed Reply with quote

I tapped fuel prices on my 940 in the car and it told me i needed to download the app from home. When i plug into home and click on fuel it offers me it when I click to download home gives me this error "ERROR: TomTom HOME has fuel prices for a petrol station which is not on your map" Fuel used to work and all my other live servies work? Any ideas?
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I first got my 940 and I followed the advice from Ken in this post http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=72548&view=previous and it's worked fine (as well as fuel prices work that is! Laughing ) ever since.
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly not tried deleting the application and all the loose root files. New application downloaded in home still same error
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this error in the past, but I'm afraid I can't remember if it went away by itself or if it was something I did which fixed it.
One thing you could try is deleting all the previous price downloads from your PC:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\fuelprice

That fix works for other items like the GPS Quickfix and program files.

But the other issue is why you aren't getting the Fuel Price updates directly on the Go via the Live connection?
If I tap Live Services -- Fuel Prices, it downloads straight away while I'm out and about.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the "Europe" folder on the device, do you have the following five files present:

FuelStationsEU.bmp
FuelStationsEU.fpf
FuelStationsEU.ov2
FuelStationsEU.ov2.dct
FuelStationsEUOv2.ver

Also make sure none of the files have a size of 0Kb

If you find any of the above missing or showing 0Kb in size you need to contact TomTom (0845 161 0009) to get the fuel prices added to your account - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - this has caught me out before as well.

Easiest way out of this is to use HOME to delete all fuel price and all fuel station POIs from the TT and your PC.

Then redownload and it will work.

One of the files is corrupt, or it needs to upgrade the POI file first before the prices - I can't remember which was the root cause last time it happened to me.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But the other issue is why you aren't getting the Fuel Price updates directly on the Go via the Live connection?
If I tap Live Services -- Fuel Prices, it downloads straight away while I'm out and about.

That's odd - presumably GO, but not my XL Live which gave me this...

(I had previously deleted some of the files from my XL for fear of the consequences of the fuel POIs interfering with my camera database)

Seeing Mike's post above, I checked and I had deleted only the OV2 file, but resurrecting it didn't let Home download. So I copied a few backup files onto it and it then let me download fuel prices. Then when I tap Fuel prices, it merely offers me the choice of several price ideas, but NOT to download anything whilst out and about.

Out of interest, having downloaded a few minutes ago, the cheapest price for diesel near me, is Texaco, £1.04 (everything local is pretty accurate at £1.19) at 51.82644, -2.38170, 48 miles away. I dunno how recent this Google Streetview is - might explain the cheap price! Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the "Europe" folder on the device, do you have the following five files present:

FuelStationsEU.bmp
FuelStationsEU.fpf
FuelStationsEU.ov2
FuelStationsEU.ov2.dct
FuelStationsEUOv2.ver

Also make sure none of the files have a size of 0Kb

If you find any of the above missing or showing 0Kb in size you need to contact TomTom (0845 161 0009) to get the fuel prices added to your account - Mike

No mike in the fuel_prices folder I have only FuelStationsEU.tlv and the file is 2kb
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I've seen this error in the past, but I'm afraid I can't remember if it went away by itself or if it was something I did which fixed it.
One thing you could try is deleting all the previous price downloads from your PC:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\fuelprice

That fix works for other items like the GPS Quickfix and program files.

Andy, your solution worked, initially it didn't, it came up with a different error however when i rebooted the device home offered me fuel prices for the uk. Once again ALL thank you for the swift desire to resolve my problem that lead to a successful conclusion. I always have confidence in this forum to keep my driving safer with the camera database i subscribe to and the fantastic advice offered thank you all once again. However the quality of the data is dire offering me Diesel at £1.10 Laughing Out Loud
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be aware that with the fuel prices POI files loaded to the device you won't get any warnings of Speed Cameras that are close to a petrol station due to yet another fudge to the software rather than a true fix to a rather simple problem.

To be honest the prices are way off the mark making the service useless IMHO, when this has been questioned TomTom have made it very difficult to even offer them advice with examples where it is obviously wrong - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Also be aware that with the fuel prices POI files loaded to the device you won't get any warnings of Speed Cameras that are close to a petrol station due to yet another fudge to the software rather than a true fix to a rather simple problem.

To be honest the prices are way off the mark making the service useless IMHO, when this has been questioned TomTom have made it very difficult to even offer them advice with examples where it is obviously wrong - Mike

Didn't know that - I will keep my eye out for that.

I find the LPG prices are pretty accurate - but they don't fluctuate as much, but they still have stations that are no longer there with old price info.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
but they still have stations that are no longer there with old price info.
Just what you want when running out of gas. About as much use as boobs on a bull, if I understand correctly Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Didn't know that - I will keep my eye out for that.

See This thread for details.

@ "playswell" Give TomTom a ring on Monday and ask them to add the Fuel Prices services to your account (0845 161 0009), then again if you don't want this rubbish on your device don't pick the phone up! - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortly after this point in the thread, it all went pear-shaped and off topic, developing into a mixture of degrees of sensibility, together with extreme views on TomTom's performance, all about the accuracy of their Live Services Fuel prices. You can read what was said HERE Be warned that there doesn't seem to be anything new written there, but there are five pages of it!! Despite a PM accusing me of "Stifling Debate On An Important Issue" and inviting me "If you don't like my posts then why don't you prune the parts of them that you think are either too long or irrelevant", and contrary to my threat to do so, I have not altered a single word. If you're going to read it, make sure you have nothing better to do for the next couple of hours!! Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: