Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A moan
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A moan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: A moan Reply with quote

Have to get this off my chest - after being a loyal early adopter of Live Services for over a year and having to endure many times where it has been not up to standard, I now see that new iPhone users will be rewarded with a significantly lower subscription. Am I the only one to be miffed by this? I do realise they aren't paying for network access as well, but I don't have the option to access it via my mobile contract even though bluetooth capability is there.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I'm not happy either. The daily option particularly stung as i find HD Traffic to be very good however only when doing motorway or major A road journeys and that has significantly reduced for me over the last 12 months...

Coupled with the fact the Fuel Prices and Speed Cameras are a joke and you can't opt in / out of any of the services...
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you any details of the HD Traffic on Iphone and its cost? I have not seen anything on this yet.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only fair option would be for TT to untie a user from the built in Vodafone Sim at least after a minimum contract period so they could then connect using the bluetooth to an existing mobile contract. Otherwise we are subsidising the whole system for iPhone users as well as giving them the actual location data for HD traffic to work in the first place!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given they are not covering the cost of the contract AND the data then I can't see why you should be so miffed?

TomTom have to allow for the data costs and the contract in the PND LIVE pricing, none of which is covered in the iPhone option.

AND when roaming, PND LIVE users get access at no extra cost. iPhone users would be stung by very heavy roaming charges if they were foolish enough to try it.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Have you any details of the HD Traffic on Iphone and its cost? I have not seen anything on this yet.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/TomTom-iPhone-adds-HD-Traffic--and-Local-Search-1375.php
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Given they are not covering the cost of the contract AND the data then I can't see why you should be so miffed?

TomTom have to allow for the data costs and the contract in the PND LIVE pricing, none of which is covered in the iPhone option.

AND when roaming, PND LIVE users get access at no extra cost. iPhone users would be stung by very heavy roaming charges if they were foolish enough to try it.

Like most iPhone users (which I'm not) I have no need for the included data portion of the Live contract and the device is perfectly capable of using my Orange contract. Why should I be forced to have this included?

Who cares about roaming if you never drive abroad - I have a 540 UK device - this is of no benefit to me and I suspect many other people as well.

Last edited by phillevy on Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You see, and this is why i should keep my mouth shut.... Embarassed
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like most iPhone users (which I'm not) I have no need for the included data portion of the Live contract and the device is perfectly capably of using my Orange contract. Why should I be forced to have this included?

I suspect part of it is to do with the fact that some of the information about traffic flow is taken from the movement of Vodafone SIM cards. Not just those in LIVE units but in other handsets too. Orange don't have this agreement so if everyone just added their own SIM card it would reduce the data the LIVE services received.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Go users are getting Live Services free for a year which is around half the cost of the Go550, so I wonder how cheap TomTom could provide the services for. The only one I really want is HD Traffic with occasional use of Google search.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Like most iPhone users (which I'm not) I have no need for the included data portion of the Live contract and the device is perfectly capably of using my Orange contract. Why should I be forced to have this included?

I suspect part of it is to do with the fact that some of the information about traffic flow is taken from the movement of Vodafone SIM cards. Not just those in LIVE units but in other handsets too. Orange don't have this agreement so if everyone just added their own SIM card it would reduce the data the LIVE services received.

Precisely right - as i said earlier, PND users are now being forced to pay an extra (often unrequired) network subscription to Vodafone which is now going to provide all the iPhone users (most not on Vodafone) with the data they need for HD traffic to work Evil or Very Mad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw hell. Now i'm confussed.... I'll step out of this and mumble to myself....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillevy wrote:
Like most iPhone users (which I'm not) I have no need for the included data portion of the Live contract and the device is perfectly capable of using my Orange contract. Why should I be forced to have this included

Not sure I follow that argument. The data portion is there to supply the LIVE services to the PND.

You're not forced to subscribe to LIVE so I don't understand the argument.

I agree that it is a little annoying that LIVE cannot be accessed via a connected mobile with a data contract but the support issues are such that it is a much more difficult proposition with the many different handsets and data contracts.
Quote:
Who cares about roaming if you never drive abroad - I have a 540 UK device - this is of no benefit to me and I suspect many other people as well.

A sweeping assertion there given the number of early adopters here who bemoaned the lack of roaming when first launched.

If you added a WE map to your 540 then you'd have access to HD Traffic for Europe but that is a side argument.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
phillevy wrote:
Like most iPhone users (which I'm not) I have no need for the included data portion of the Live contract and the device is perfectly capable of using my Orange contract. Why should I be forced to have this included

Not sure I follow that argument. The data portion is there to supply the LIVE services to the PND.

You're not forced to subscribe to LIVE so I don't understand the argument.

I agree that it is a little annoying that LIVE cannot be accessed via a connected mobile with a data contract but the support issues are such that it is a much more difficult proposition with the many different handsets and data contracts.
Quote:

A sweeping assertion there given the number of early adopters here who bemoaned the lack of roaming when first launched.

If you added a WE map to your 540 then you'd have access to HD Traffic for Europe but that is a side argument.

Not forced to subscribe to live, but am forced to pay extra amount over iPhone pricing for network access.

Also unfair to expect a user with only UK mapping to pay any extra for roaming.

Darren, can't you see that TT are happy for people to use an existing mobile connection for plus services so I'm sure there is no technical barrier for live other than that they will lose the location information the Vodafone sim provides - now to a large group of people not tied in any way at all?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the argument but what I don't understand is why you feel aggrieved?

The service you get via LIVE on the PND is exactly what was advertised and has not changed. The cost disparity between iPhone and PND has been explained.

There is a huge difference between offering access to iPhone users and offering it to anyone with a connected BT phone with data and a TT PND. Support etc would be a nightmare as it was with PLUS.

Perhaps TT are testing the water but who knows. Either way, personally I've never considered PLUS or LIVE worth the subscription costs and I certainly won't be subscribing on my iPhone as IME, HD Traffic is rubbish more often than not and can't be trusted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: