Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What Tom Tom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What Tom Tom?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joeblunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: What Tom Tom? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I bought a TTG about 8 years ago? (seems like I've had it forever), its never missed a beat and works perfectly but its due a map renew and I'm thinking I'm better off replacing it.

I'm also going to replace my wife's Sat Nav (Garmin) so I was thinking of a basic Tom Tom for her (Argos are currently doing the TT Start for £89.99 + half price pouch & blue skin + you get a £10 voucher for purchases over £100 so the lot for £104.98 which seems a good deal really?).

Myself I'd prefer something a bit higher spec, I don't really want to subscribe to things, Europe map would be handy (just in case I do a Day trip beer run to Calais Very Happy

Any suggestions? Cool
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT Start is like the old saying - pay peanuts, get monkeys. It is alleged by some on this site that it is possible to install PocketGPS World speed cameras on it, but it may be necessary to go attend an intensive computer software engineering course for a year in order to get the expertise to do it yourself! Then when you've done it, you can't use warnings for them, so you might as well not bother in the first place. Of course, if your wife loves pretty coloured satnavs and doesn't care about her driving licence? Rolling Eyes

Consider a Refurbished GO for her (or pass on the old TTG - see my final words below).

Halfords are selling the XL Live IQ routes UK & ROI for £179 and it's a cracking device for you. Doesn't get you round French beer shops though (I think the EU version is about 40 or 50 quid dearer). You get a free trial of Live services to tempt you - I changed the habit of a lifetime and subscribed to TT for it (12 months, £79.99) when I discovered how good the HD Traffic and Google Search are (the rest of the Live services - cameras, fuel prices, weather and help are the usual TT "disappointments").

Whatever you do, do NOT bin your old TTG - you may well find it's better than your new one!!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Joeblunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: TT Upgrade Reply with quote

The write up for the TT Start shows 'Safety Camera alerts' are they not already installed?

Argos are doing the XL IQ Routes with UK, ROI and Europe for £149.99 (+ you get a £10 voucher for spending over £100) is this a good deal then?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: TT Upgrade Reply with quote

Joeblunt wrote:
The write up for the TT Start shows 'Safety Camera alerts' are they not already installed?

That would presumably be TomTom's own "rather inferior" camera database.
Run it side by side with the one from here and you'll realise you could never trust it on it's own.
Joeblunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a lot easier when I bought my original TTG, nowadays we're spoilt for choice, in fact it's totally confusing from a consumers point. Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want custom POI's on the device avoid the TomTom Start as the menu doesn't support POI files without some serious hacking of the device, get something else like like a One or better still XL, even some of the Go products such as the 530/ 730 can be found for little more than the purchase price of the Start if you look at the refurb devices (new screen, same warranty as new etc) - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Start/Ease don't show ANY pois in driving view. IMO, that makes the effectiveness of having them little more than worthless.
Joeblunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Good deal? Reply with quote

XL IQ Routes with UK, ROI and Europe for £149.99

So is this a good deal? I'm thinking now about buying two of these? (Although the wife doesn't really need Europe or ROI)

Will Tom Tom Home allow me to register / update 2 different units?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you use a separate email address for each unit. It doesn't even have to be a real email address, just in the proper format of abc@def.com (or equivalent).
Joeblunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT One IQ v XL IQ

Argos (sorry I always start researching any product at Argos) have both for £149.99 each, the only difference I could see was the Screen Size on their comparison chart.
Is one better than the other? Rolling Eyes
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Good deal? Reply with quote

Joeblunt wrote:
.....So is this a good deal? I'm thinking now about buying two of these?.......
That does look like a good price, the only other thing that may tempt me would be this from Argos.

In case you missed it, mikealder has suggested in another post elsewhere that if you can wait a week or so, the price of SatNAvs Might drop as part of Easter Specials.

Link edited by Anita
Thanks Anita, I keep forgetting how to do this. Ali.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Good deal? Reply with quote

Joeblunt wrote:
XL IQ Routes with UK, ROI and Europe for £149.99

So is this a good deal? I'm thinking now about buying two of these? (Although the wife doesn't really need Europe or ROI)

Have a look here for the current best satnav deals.

TomTom have refurbed 530s for £129.99 (for your wife) and 730s for £149.99 (for you). I can't see from a quick look at their website whether they include LMG, so it would be worth a phone call on Monday to check.

If I was getting a new device I'd go for an x20 or x30 rather than a ONE or XL.

Edited to add; I see they also have refurbed XL IQ Routes Europe for £119.99 if that's what you want.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Last edited by Anita on Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
markybtenerife
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was in the same boat last week. my ageing 02 pda that i bought from 02 as a phone light years ago started to die
i ended up getting the xl v3 live from handtec. £158 plus p&p
comes with 3 months live as standard and as 12 months live free via redemption
or a good site for refurbished is a site called total pda
they have some good prices. and the reviews say its hard to tell if they are refurbished or not
whatever you choose like me you will be amazed how much better tomtom is compared to what we have been using
Joeblunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I start comparing I change my mind Laughing

I never realised there was soooooo many different models / specs, I'm a tight bu66er too so I doubt if I'll update the maps co's I think I'll just renew the unit every 4/5yrs (for wot it costs to upgrade maps you can probably renew the unit for not so much more).
I'm sort of set my mind on Tom Tom as the one I currently have has been sooooooo reliable. I put a 2gb card in it and it has every voice, poi, colour scheme, etc, you can think of.... Cool
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check THIS out. *Latest available maps Q3'09 (V835.2421).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: