Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map etc to SD card - how to do it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map etc to SD card - how to do it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Map etc to SD card - how to do it? Reply with quote

My TT internal drive seems to be rather full - of what I am not sure, but understand that I can somehow download the maps onto my 4Gb SD card.

How do I do this?

What do I do with the map that is already on the TT main drive?

Thanks in advance!

TT Go 740 - not upgraded maps - yet!

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select All
Copy
Paste

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis

As simple as that??

Do I have to delete maps on the tom tom afterwards then to make sure it uses the card?

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got a 740, but the principal is generally the same - if it's like the 720, the SD card takes precedence over the internal memory.

Easy to test too. After you've done it, delete everything off the TT, then fire it up with the SD card in and it should work like you never did anything. Either way, with the map on the SD card, you can delete the map from internal.

Incidentally, it's exactly the same method as backing up the device to your PC (tell me you don't use TT Home for that, PLEASE! Tell me you do backups every time before you make changes [like this playing about] or get new downloads, PLEASE!).

furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I haven't got a 740, but the principal is generally the same - if it's like the 720, the SD card takes precedence over the internal memory.

Easy to test too. After you've done it, delete everything off the TT, then fire it up with the SD card in and it should work like you never did anything. Either way, with the map on the SD card, you can delete the map from internal.

Incidentally, it's exactly the same method as backing up the device to your PC (tell me you don't use TT Home for that, PLEASE! Tell me you do backups every time before you make changes [like this playing about] or get new downloads, PLEASE!).

Thanks Dennis.

You're safe - I don't use TT Home tpo backup - I run a copy via Windoes Explorer to my HD

I also do a backup every time- even when I load a new version of the PGPS cameras!!

Thanks - will give it a go PDQ!

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furryfred wrote:
I can somehow download the maps onto my 4Gb SD card.

DennisN wrote:
Select All
Copy
Paste

furryfred wrote:

Do I have to delete maps on the tom tom afterwards then to make sure it uses the card?

DennisN wrote:
the SD card takes precedence over the internal memory.

Easy to test too. After you've done it, delete everything off the TT, then fire it up with the SD card in and it should work like you never did anything.

Whoa.. careful....

I think Fred started off asking about copying or moving just the MAP onto the SD card, but when Dennis says "delete everything off the TT" he's assuming you've copied the entire contents of the internal memory onto the card, not just the map.
If you did just move the map and then deleted everything, you'd be in a big mess!

You have two choices:
1. move just the map folder onto the card and delete just the map folder from the internal memory, or

2. Move everything from the internal memory to the card and then delete everything from the internal memory.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Whoa.. careful....

I think Fred started off asking about copying or moving just the MAP onto the SD card, but when Dennis says "delete everything off the TT" he's assuming you've copied the entire contents of the internal memory onto the card, not just the map.
If you did just move the map and then deleted everything, you'd be in a big mess!

Yup - I've just re-read what I said and it was
Quote:
Select All
Copy
Paste

PS Doesn't "Move" mean move, not copy, i.e. you remove it from one location and place it in another all in one action, not leaving anything there to delete from the original location? A lot of people (dangerously) use the words "Cut and Paste" (i.e. MOVE) when they really mean "Copy and Paste".

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Map etc to SD card - how to do it? Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not saying what you suggested was wrong, just different to what FF asked...
furryfred wrote:
(I) understand that I can somehow download the maps onto my 4Gb SD card.
How do I do this?

To do that, you tell Home to download straight to the SD card (it gives the option of internal or card when you first connect), or if Home is playing silly bodgers again and installing to both places, you have to temporarily copy the entire system to the card and update by putting the card into a card reader instead of the TomTom itself.
Then you can delete the rest off the card, just leaving the map folder.
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents!

It worked - just like I expected it to do!

I did not realise that I could transfer the whole card!
Is this advisable - and what advantages does that give apart from the additional space?

EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tested it out yet but the internal memory maybe faster then the card, but the advantage of having things on the card is you can carry around a spare one just like taking your backup with you. So if while you are touring around the wilds of Scotland or somewhere similar and you don't have a laptop anyway or even if you do and its battery gives out and you then get a fault in your TT files you will have a spare available. I know it sounds at bit far fetched but I will bet its happened to someone.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belief on PGPSW is that a good fast SD card may actually work a bit QUICKER then the internal memory.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furryfred wrote:
Thanks gents!

It worked - just like I expected it to do!

I did not realise that I could transfer the whole card!
Is this advisable - and what advantages does that give apart from the additional space?

For one of my devices, I have the Internal and the SD card with different Application versions - internal has a later version which I hate, so I use the SD card to retain the older version (as I said before, [with the system files also on the card] it takes precedence over the internal memory).

Just to confirm Andy's word, we do think a good fast SD card is better than internal.

And EricWB is very correct, a spare SD card copy of your latest SD card is very much smaller than a laptop and much quicker to sort out a failing device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: