Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest 2010.40 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest 2010.40 maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Latest 2010.40 maps Reply with quote

Is It true that this latest map update download has been 'pulled' by Garmin due to a serious error in the data for Italy?
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. It's possible you may be getting confused about the numbering, too...

As I understand it, the latest version of the Europe NT Navigator maps, which came out on or about the 25th January, were version 2010.30, not 2010.40. I know this because the Europe maps I had downloaded a mere ten days beforehand, as part of my 'NuMaps for 60-days promise' (which expired the day afterwards) were 2010.20, and replaced my November-purchased 265WT that had 2010.10 installed by default. Yes, I was darned annoyed that I missed 2010.30 on the NuMaps cycle by a mere ten days or less! Rolling Eyes But that's the way it goes sometimes...

Anyway... I've just popped up to mygarmin and checked out the dashboard against my unit, and it's still showing there being a new map update available for it - albeit this time at a price! Checking further, in the 'More Info, then the 'view map online' tab, the map it's offering appears to still be version 2010.30 - so no change there, apparently.

As far as I know, there has not yet been a map update for Europe with the number 2010.40 - and I wouldn't be expecting this for another three months or so, given the numbering sequence and release-dates thus far (and assuming Garmin stay on-track anyway, which they don't always).

However, most confusingly, the AMERICAN map cycle appears to be one notch ahead of us, in number terms. Their latest map update (released I think in early Jan or late Dec) was indeed 2010.40 - but that's for the Canada/USA map, not Europe (and I don't expect Italy to be on it, frankly! Wink)

Does this help? Where did you hear this business about Italy being wrong, anyway? It might shed some light on things, perhaps. You could, of course, still be right - Garmin may have 'pulled' 2010.30, and replaced it with ANOTHER 2010.30 with a fixed Italy, and not told anyone nor changed the version sub-number. Stranger (and dumber) things have happened, I'm sure!

Regards
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, sorry,sorry!!

I did get confused, I had meant to refer to version 2010.30 NOT 2010.40.

The suggestion was that v2010.30 contained (or still contains???) a serious highway nomenclature error somewhere in northern Italy and that sometime in the last few days it became no longer downloadable from Garmin.

However, as you say, it certainly does seem to be available now, if it ever did get pulled. Unfortunately, other than being described as in northern Italy, I do not know a precise location or else it would be checkable.
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
Sorry, sorry,sorry!!

I did get confused, I had meant to refer to version 2010.30 NOT 2010.40.

No problem - we're all singing from the same hymn sheet now Wink

mhb wrote:
The suggestion was that v2010.30 contained (or still contains???) a serious highway nomenclature error somewhere in northern Italy and that sometime in the last few days it became no longer downloadable from Garmin.

Where did this suggestion come from? I've not seen anything about it, but then I haven't scoured the net for such news. Got a link?

mhb wrote:
However, as you say, it certainly does seem to be available now, if it ever did get pulled. Unfortunately, other than being described as in northern Italy, I do not know a precise location or else it would be checkable.

Well, in case it's any help, here's a link to the 'live' online version of 2010.30 that's available (tucked away) on the MyGarmin site. You may need to be previously logged-in to the MyGarmin site before it'll display, but I don't know for certain.

It should roughly be pointing at Northern Italy (Firenze, to be exact)- perhaps someone with local knowledge can let us know if there's a heinous nomenclature error somewhere on it? I'm afraid I don't have sufficient knowledge to be able to tell.

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webmap.cgi?p=144179201&l=0&u=1&v=0&cp=4B5FFF9553836EF5&z=12&x=300&y=113&w=600&h=450&d=0&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

Regards
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can no longer find the source of this information to give a link to it. However I recall that although giving no more information itself, it did give a source link which led to a long forum thread all in Italian. I could not translate it myself, hence my posting in this forum.

By the way your link to the detailed online map did work for me without any problem but as I do not know which highway was wrongly labelled, it did not help much. But thanks anyway.

Regards
Mike
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some stuff in a Dutch forum, which Google manages to translate the jist of, but it's still a wee bit hard to comprehend!

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.gps.nl%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fp%3D222945&sl=nl&tl=en

The tenth post from the top makes some comment about the fact that the A4 in Italy (a major motorway, by all accounts) was incorrectly labelled as a local/urban road, and given a 50km/h speed limit instead of 130km/h. Clearly, this would've mucked up a certain amount of routing! Laughing

I also read elsewhere that there were issues with Junction View (or Lane Assist as we call it over here in the UK, I think). Apparently, 2010.30 Europe messed up some relevant file, and (on the newer series nuvi, which fortunately/unfortunately I am not blessed with! Wink) Lane Assist stopped working.

Apparently, it was this Lane Assist filecopy issue that caused Garmin to re-release the 2010.30 Europe map within a couple of days of initial release - not the Italian problem on its own. If you Google for 2010.30b you'll find various references (some in German, unfortunately, but Google will do a reasonable job) and some references in English on the Garmin official forums.

However, I cannot yet find any truly 'official' word from Garmin themselves on the matter - there's nothing in the support area, at least, not that I've managed to find (but it's a bit like needle-in-haystack time whenever I go there, to be honest!) Wink

Anyway - seems you were on to something after all - and in true Garmin style, it looks like they downplayed the issue to the max, in the hope that nobody noticed. I certainly wouldn't have, unless you'd mentioned it! They sure as heck aren't yelling '2010.30b' anywhere officially on the download page!
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention the A4 in Northern Italy.

Do you perhaps mean the A14 which splits off from the A1 at Bologna and goes down the east coast while the A1 continues to Firenze (Florence) and toward Rome/Naples?

Also, I downloaded the 2010.30 file as soon as I became aware of it (I have until 6 Feb to download again). Should I download again, had the error been fixed when I downloaded or will Garmin "fix it" with a software update. (I will be in Bologna area in May, so a fix is not very urgent)
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelCahill wrote:
You mention the A4 in Northern Italy.

Do you perhaps mean the A14 which splits off from the A1 at Bologna and goes down the east coast while the A1 continues to Firenze (Florence) and toward Rome/Naples?

No idea - I didn't make the discovery. Read the link referred to in my post above - it may become clearer. Or not!

MichaelCahill wrote:
Also, I downloaded the 2010.30 file as soon as I became aware of it (I have until 6 Feb to download again). Should I download again, had the error been fixed when I downloaded or will Garmin "fix it" with a software update. (I will be in Bologna area in May, so a fix is not very urgent)

Again, no idea, sorry. "when you first became aware of it" is a little too non-specific to be able to tell whether Garmin had updated the map to 2010.30b by then or not - but I reckon there may be a clue in the filename of the map you downloaded. Best to check. If unsure, check with Garmin support maybe. Bear in mind that we in this thread are unsure of the exact date when Garmin actually updated it (assuming the rumours thus far are even true, though they appear to hold water). As I said in my last post, Garmin haven't made official noises about this - we're working on a clue that Mike (mhb) picked up, and working from there, Sherlock Holmes-fashion! Wink
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not remember exact date of download of file when I first posted, knew it was about 2 weeks ago, but have now checked and the file on my hard-drive is dated 22 January. It is called garmin_rmu_cneunt_2010_30, no mentionof b-spec, so I presume that it is an original.

If I click on download again button in myGarmin (before 6 Feb) will I get original/corrupt file or the corrected version? I don't want to spend a few hours (and use up a good potion of my monthly download limit) just to get the "wrong" file again.

A small patch via webupdater would seem more sensible than a complete re-download.
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelCahill wrote:
I could not remember exact date of download of file when I first posted, knew it was about 2 weeks ago, but have now checked and the file on my hard-drive is dated 22 January. It is called garmin_rmu_cneunt_2010_30, no mentionof b-spec, so I presume that it is an original.

In truth, the file will be called garmin_rmu_cneunt_2010_30.exe, but the way you have your operating system configured, it'll be supressing the file-extension so that you can't see it. Microsoft deemed this 'helpful' back in the old days... go figure! Wink (If you're using Windows XP, it's in Tools/Folder Options/View/Hide extensions for known file types, if you ever want to turn this behaviour off, by the way...)

The point is, the executable file is just a self-extracting, compressed, installation package, not the map itself. It contains the map, and a bunch of other stuff (MapSource & MapInstall, for starters). As such, the installer file could be called anything, and we've no reason to think that Garmin was smart or helpful enough to change the installer's filename to reflect the fact that it contained the 'new' 30b map version. For all we know, they might've left it the same - they didn't bother to announce the fact that the map had even been re-released, after all, so they're clearly not being uber-helpful in this matter, are they?

It's probable that you have the 'old' 30 version, but in short, I can't tell from the information you've given. If you've already installed the 30 map to your GPS unit, try going into your GPS unit itself, into System, then Map, and press the button marked 'Map Info' - that should give you chapter and verse on the map version that you actually have installed. If it says 30b, then I'd figure you're alright - if not, then you have the original 30 version.

Whether you then need the re-released version will be down to personal choice... remember that the root problem was apparently one of 'Lane Assist/Junction View' not working, so if yours is a GPS unit that doesn't have that feature, then it probably won't make any difference to you.

But if it's the Italian motorway problem that's bothering you, bear in mind we don't know whether that's actually been fixed in the re-released version 30b - so to clarify this, you'd best speak to Garmin for the facts.

MichaelCahill wrote:
If I click on download again button in myGarmin (before 6 Feb) will I get original/corrupt file or the corrected version? I don't want to spend a few hours (and use up a good potion of my monthly download limit) just to get the "wrong" file again.

Good question. It's reasonable to think that you'd get the 'new' version, but then again, who knows how Garmin's system works, for certain? I would recommend getting in touch with Garmin directly, via their support email or via telephone - all details are on the MyGarmin site - and asking them for official advice. We're just guessing here, after all..

MichaelCahill wrote:
A small patch via webupdater would seem more sensible than a complete re-download.

Indeed. But once again, sensible and Garmin are not two words I see in common proximity. For all I know, if you contact Garmin directly, they might have a resolution that is a small download - or they may be able to send you the map on SD card or DVD. Who knows? Best to speak to the horse's mouth.

Or you could bung me 70 quid and I'll try downloading the map update myself, and I'll tell you whether it's 30 or 30b! Laughing As it stands, I got shafted by Garmin because my free-update period ran out on the 17th Jan - a mere handful of days before the new map update came out. I'm not sure at this point whether that's actually a blessing in disguise! Very Happy
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just re-downloaded my map which was called 30b during the process. It's now installed on my Nuvi 765. However the map info there still only says 30 not 30b. I think it all worked and I got the new one though because my Junction View JCV file now has a different name.
(I previously had ver 30 and had manually renamed the JCV file so junction view was all working anyway. So I have no way of checking whether I actually have 30b).
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also clicked on the download again tab and the file now appears to be called ....2010_30b.exe.

I presume/hope Wink that alter my 4 hour download, extraction, etc the problem will be solved. Smile
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the need to rename the Junction View file name, is there any difference in the file sizes or is the renamed file the only change Garmin made?
alansbestmate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'b' file is slightly smaller than the original 2010.3 download. I emailed Garmin about this issue and, whilst they did not confirm there was an problem, they extended the expiry date for both my units so I have time to download again.

Gary
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could indulge your patience again. Embarassed

I redownloaded the 2010.30b map onto my Nuvi 760 and, because the whole map would not fit on my unit, put a copy of Eastern Europe on an SD card using Mapinstall. I had done the same with the original download.

Now, however, when I fire up the unit with the SD card installed a green bar goes across the screen (similar to inserting USB port) and it shuts down. It fires up fine if I leave the SD card out but shuts down almost immediately if I then insert the card.

This did not happen after the first installation. Confused

Has anyone else encountered this problem or throw light on what might be causing it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: