Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 1690 Question, urgent ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 1690 Question, urgent ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 1690 Question, urgent ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am urgently trying to find something out.

I currently have a TomTom one v2.

I want to buy the Garmin Nuvi 1690 because it has route optimization feature.

I just started a new job that requires me to deliver upto 50 parcels a day.

my TomTom only offers interanry planning, with the Garmin Nuvi 1690 it seems perfect as i enter all the addresses in and it will optimize the route for me for example from nearest address to the furthest address.

One problem thou on there website it says:

nüvi 1690 includes advanced navigation features so you can save 10 routes, specify via points and preview simulated turns. In addition, nüvi 1690 automatically sorts multiple destinations to provide an efficient route for errands, deliveries or sales calls.

Does this mean i can only enter upto 10 addresses at a time for route optimization? does anyone have this sat nav to tell me.

I got a feeling the 10 limit means something else but not sure, as i deliver upto 50 parcels i need to be able to enter upto 50 addresses.

Please if anyone could help, i am urgently needing to buy a sat nav that does what i need to help me with my job.

Thanks for any help.

Mathew[/i]
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nuvi 765 and 1690 both do route optimisation. There is a limit of 10 routes but on each route you can have many stops - I've tried it with 25 and it optimises fine. The main issue I have found is that if you don't follow the route religiously (they don't always follow the right way in housing / industrial estates) then the route gets "confused" and you have to stop the route, delete the stops you have visited and then reoptimise the route again so be prepared for this as it can be a pain. If you can get hold of a 765 I would go for this over the 1690
mat22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I was reading on there site and they all have 1000 waypoints.

What is the difference between 10 routes and the waypoints i find that confusing? if you could please explain. It sounds like the same to me Confused

Does it mean waypoints wont be optimized and will go to addresses in order i put them in sat nav as ifso it wont be any good for me.

As you say about if you don't follow the route etc it may confuse it etc and i may have to delete the routes i done and reoptimize, is there any indication on the unit so i know which addresses i already visited incase i do i have to delete already visited and repotimize? maybe something like the addresses visited shows in a light color grey or something?

Also i did compare the 765 with the 1690, personally why do you think the 765 is better if you dont mind me asking?

Sorry for the questions, i started a new job and just worried i might spend money on something that does not work well.

Do you find the route optimization good? i basically want to add 50 addresses in any random order and for the sat nav to for example take me to nearest address from my home then to nearest address from second location and so on.

Thanks for the reply .

Mathew
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat22

10 routes can be saved - you can name these. The waypoints are the number of stops / drops you can make on a route. I've never tested how many but I have entered up to 20 once. The Nuvi optimizes the route by putting the drops in a logical order that you would drive around (either fastest or shortest).

It does take time to do it so if you are using it for parcels / courier work you would need to enter in postcodes before you set off.

the downside for me is that if you don't follow the route religiously the sat nav will get "confused" and you need to reoptimize the route (you don't need to re-enter all the info but you do need to delete the drops you have been to as it will re-route you back to the start - there is no obvious way of identifing these from what I can recall.

The 1690 is much more expensive than the 765 and I don't know if you need the Nulink functionality of weather / flight status etc.... The 765 is half the price and although not the newest unit ithe routes it calculatates are the same and it optimizes as well as the 1690. Bear in mind the 1690 has a subscription of £70 after the first year to receive the Nulink services. The 765T comes with traffic free for life but if you are doing local courier work it won't be much use although for A roads and Motorways it works well.

For the saving on the unit price I would invest in the NuMaps Lifetime Map update which is 4 times per year - I think the latest 765 ship with 2010.10 maps and firmware 3.80 (get your supplier to check this if possible) and DON'T upgrade to firmware 3.90 as it has a bug on entering address data which won't help you when entering 50 addresses.

It goes without saing you need the PGPSW Speed Cam database installed!

Handtec have good prices on the 765T and lifetime maps but there are lots of companies to choose from.

hope this helps
mat22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Perfect just what i was looking for thanks.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The waypoints/stops limit is 100 per optimized route, up to 10 routes active at one time. You can have a lot more than 10 routes loaded to your nuvi, stored in My Data and ready to import and make active as needed. The one 1690 advantage that comes to mind is that a dispatcher can remotely send another stop to your nuvi while out on the road so that it can be added and optimized in your route. Don't know if that would be any significant benefit for your particular job.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: