Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 860t - Memory Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 860t - Memory Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garmin860t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 860t - Memory Card Reply with quote

I have checked Garmins knowledge database, telephoned and e-mailed Garmin and have been given 3 completely different sets of advice.
Can anyone please advise me what is the best format (SD, SDHC, SD Micro, SDHC Micro) and maximum size memory card (e.g 32gb) for a Garmin Nuvi 860t. Any help would be much appreciated.
Garmin860t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Calling all 860t owners! Reply with quote

Help! I know the 860t is fairly new, but hopefully someone reading this will be a proud owner and be able to advise.
dellk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too, but have not even thought about the mem card....
Garmin860t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Test Reply with quote

dellk, if you get a chance to test what it will take please let me know as I am a complete novice to this arena. If I find anything that might be useful I will let you know in return.
Cheers
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Garmin 860t Reply with quote

Hello Garmin860t, I have just brought an 860 T a few weeks ago and this is what you need, you can get higher SD cards and Garmin say that there is no limit as to what size you can use but it is up to you whether you get a hgher card.

SanDisk 4GB Micro SD HC/ Transflash Card + adapter, this is from Memory Bits at £15.49.

You can get an 8 gb transcard which will give you about 40 cds if you copy them as MP3s.

Jerry
Garmin860t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

Thanks The Rudd, so the slot on the side takes a Micro SDHC Card. I have not yet got my hands on the model, only seen on the web and I suspected that Garmins advice might be wrong.
When I looked on the Garmin Knowledge Database it quoted a SD or SDHC Card any gb size. Based on there information you could get a SD or SDHC Card (upto32gb) and it would not fit the Micro slot.
I am looking for a memory card that fits the Garmin Nuvi 860t which has the max capacity and operates at a good speed so that it will be future-proofed at least for the medium term. My guess is a micro 16gb SDHC card may be best., or does anyone else have any better suggestions......
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spec clearly states microSD cards - but no size limit mentioned.
Garmin860t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Clear as mud Reply with quote

I don't know which spec you are referring to, but in the Garmin Knowledge base for the 860t it states and I quote "If your nüvi has the latest version of operating software, there is no limit to the size of SD card that it will read. The nüvi units are compatible with both normal Secure Digital (SD) data cards and Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) data cards".
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 860 T Reply with quote

Hi I have been doing some more research, may I suggest that you go to the Memorybits website who have a wide range of SD cards etc. For the Garmin 860t you will need this type of card.

SanDisk 4.0GB Micro SD / Transflash Card + adapter or the Equivalent Brand name if you wish I have two of these.

From what I have seen I think that the Sandisk 16.0GB Micro SD HC
is the highest spec that comes under the Micro Sd Cards.

Lastly from my perspective of the 860t of which I love now that I have brought it is that it is a very nice sat nav. The actual speeds that the card reads the data would be very slight unless you are a GPS engineer or equivalent could read the data speeds. I am sure that there are some out there who would be able to advise on more than what I can.

A 16 gb SDHC card would give you a heck of a lot of storage space for what ever you want to put on it.

Jerry aka The Rudd
Garmin860t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry,
I want to load up as much info ...maps , poi's, photos, and mp3s as possible so that it will last. I have found 16gb micro sd / sdhc cards for £47 delivered so hope this works okay.
Garmin860t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a 16gb micro sdhc card and it works well.

I am now looking for a cradle for the unit (what it sits on and receives its power through). So far I can only find it available with a suction mount. Does anyone know if there is a way of just buying a replacement cradle and if so where?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: