Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need some help on which Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some help on which Tom Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenwood03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Need some help on which Tom Tom Reply with quote

Hi. I could do with some pointers if possible as to which TT to buy. Background is that i bought a snooper indago as i liked the idea of the camera updates, it seems that using the subscription service via pgsw would do an equally good job - so that part of the equation is covered (unless someone tells me otherwise ). But i can't choose the way that i'd like to navigate - hence thinking of the change.
The use of the sat nav is poss a bit different to many users. I want it for weekend run outs in my car - not purely A-B. Basically i want to be able to plan my own route ( easily ) using the pc and transfer my choice to the sat nav - effectively using it like a talking map. Traffic routing isn't likely to be that useful - yes, i can see that very occasionally it might be handy, but this unit will really just be used once a week if that!
'Normal' use would be rare, possibly taking the unit to mainland EU 1-2x a year, but that isn't really a big deal as pals who i'd be with also have their own units in their cars.
I'm assuming that TT is the way to go as i believe its possible to do the route planning that i want using TT Home? Or atleast using google maps to design the route and saving it to an .itn file and dragging to the unit? again no idea how easy or not either of these methods are: i'd probably pick about 20 roads that i'd want to drive round on a normal run - so postcodes are not too helpful!
And ...i dont have a cigarette lighter in the car, so a fairly decent battery life needed - ideally 3 hours ish.
Sorry long post, but felt that background needed.....
finally, because of low useage cost is of course an issue - no point going for something that had tooo many features that i dont really need - hence the question!!
many thx! Mark
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help on which Tom Tom Reply with quote

Hi greenwood03 For designing a route using GoogleMaps and then loading it onto your SatNav, TomTom (except possibly the "Start" model) would work. Using 3rd party programs including Tyre or The Houghi Script, makes it very easy.
greenwood03 wrote:

And ...i dont have a cigarette lighter in the car, so a fairly decent battery life needed - ideally 3 hours ish.
Well, that's TomTom out of the equation then. Most users are glad to get two hours battery life Out-Of-The-Box, diminishing to about 1 hour after a year and 5 minutes at any time after that! I think Garmin users may get better battery life.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need some help on which Tom Tom Reply with quote

greenwood03 wrote:
Sorry long post, but felt that background needed.....

Welcome to the forum Mark, all of the TomTom devices are supplied with a car charger lead which is intended to be used while the device is in use in the car, if your vehicle doesn't have a power outlet socket you should consider fitting one otherwise no sat nav from any company will be any use on trips over 3 hours.
Avoid the TomTom Start and One models as some of these don't have the itinerary planning support - Mike
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenwood03, I am out of my depth on this but would you consider a PDA or mobile phone with SatNav capabilities.? Better battery life would be achievable.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
greenwood03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the comments about the need for in-car charging. It's something that i could fit - although would prefer not to, unless experience showed i really was running out of battery too fast! I mentioned 3 hours - as i thought that a reasonable time, but i would imagine that in most cases the useage would be more like 1-2 hours, and i'd expect to keep the battery topped up as the useage would be just teh once a week.
So, aside from avoiding those models mentioned, no other suggestions/benefits?? thx Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one of the best bargains available again (now they have stock) is This one, its new you you can update it to the latest application and map for free but I wouldn't expect much more than 2 hours from the battery and if you load it up playing mp3 tracks and have FM Tx plus Bluetooth connected to your phone the battery duration could be even less - Mike
greenwood03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, i'll take a closer look at the 520 then......
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my 520 from CPS about three months ago but it wont do 2 hours. The irony is I purchased it because my 510 is getting on in years for a device of its type and I thought it may expire in the near future, but the battery in that will still easily do 3 or more hours, but that's improvement for you.

It seems the days of dedicated sat navs maybe limited so I doubt there will be major changes going on, but I am not keen on trailing wires I really don't see why they cannot develop a device that uses AAA batteries either use once or re-chargeable. It seems to have become a standard for home cordless phones and whilst they are bigger than mobiles its not that significant and the battery life on my latest ones is in excess of one week it maybe even close to two.

We could always have discreet battery chargers in our cars for AAA and AA batteries the latest active variety really are good they hold charge if unused for almost the same time as use once batteries IE Years.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's down to marketing. The punters want ever smaller and thinner devices, so using "stock" batteries like AAA's would never work. How many mobile phones (as opposed to cordless) use AAA's?
greenwood03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that most folks would be happy to plug their devices in to the c.lighter point, but there must be loads that dislike trailing wires - and as for guys like me with caterham type cars, most of us dont have that luxury ( i know easy to remedy, but i'd prefer to be able to either have longer battery life, or to be able to plug in as a temp measure a battery back up - such as is available for mp3 players ).
Eric - the batt life that you get from the 520 -is that due to using some of its 'extra ' functionality, or is that just using it as a basic GPS? i have no need for bluetooth/mp3 etc etc.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi greenwood03 the two hours is just using basic navigation and I think the two hours is probably optimistic. I know from previous posts that battery life is not good on almost all of the newer slimmer devices there is just not room for a larger battery.

I still think improved electronics with lower consumption slightly larger boxes with room for more battery capacity is a must but that's only me.i
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes use a "PowerMonkey" external battery source to increase my TT730 battery life by two hours when out on my bicycle logging routes for OpenStreetMap. So, two hours with a fully charged 730 plus two extra hours per "PowerMonkey".
Although the 520 represents excellent value for money, it does possess quite a few features it sounds like you do not need, i.e. wide-screen, Bluetooth, FM transmission, etc. I have just checked Amazon and less sophisticated TomToms can be purchased cheaper than the 520 from CPC. However, if you think that you may desire any of these features in the future, do not hesitate and buy the 520 straight away. Be aware though that the 520/530 and 720/730 are models that are being replaced by newer SatNavs with even more features.

Edit,Sorry, I have just re-checked Amazon and the majority of the cheaper TomToms tend to be "Start" or "One" models which are to be avoided if you want to transfer itineraries.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
greenwood03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ali...which powermonkey device do you use? had never heard of them til you mentioned above....
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenwood03 wrote:
Ali...which powermonkey device do you use? had never heard of them til you mentioned above....
I use this one here

URL edited for clarity - Oldboy Thanks Oldboy, so that's how it is done! Ali
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
greenwood03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Ali

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: