Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 265W out of space
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 265W out of space

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandLake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 265W out of space Reply with quote

Just some insight really, I have had my Nuvi 265W for about a year and a half now and recently installed new maps that I downloaded from Garmin.

During the process I got a message to say I didn't have enough space to load the entire map of Europe I had downloaded. How can this be if it came with a map of Europe installed?

I'm guessing that the newer map has more information in it, is that what the problem is?

Thanks
ander02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

If you look at my post "garmin 865t memory" in this thread I had the same problem with the latest maps download. My device continued with the install and since then I've not been able to plot routes to Italy and Portugal (as examples of routes I want to plot for this years holidays!) as the device runs out of memory.

Maybe there have just been too many roads built over the last 18 months!

Or, I think there is a problem with the latest OS updates and these need sorting to free up memory.

Can you plot a route to Lisbon in Portugal, my 865T fails on memory if I try.

Frank
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded the latest European update and I had the same issue.

I deleted the non English speaking languages and non English help files and had enough room for the download to install.

I strongly suggest you take a back-up of your Nuvi first but you can always re-install these files via webupdater anyway
SandLake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ander02
I was investigating this myself before I read your reply and I found under

Tools/Settings/Map/Map Info that there are 2 entries

City Navigator Europe NT+ v8

and

CN Europe NT2010.20

and both of them are ticked as if they are both selected.

I have unticked the City Navigator Europe NT+ v8 and I have plotted a route to Lisbon, it took quite a while but it calculated the route.
SandLake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10

Thanks, that sounds like a sensible idea.
ander02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SandLake.

Have checked the map info and only have "CN Europe NT 2010.29 [1] All" installed.
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, Sandlake - only mine was with the 2010.20 Europe version which I tried to install on my nuvi 265WT that was new in November. Sod's law dictates that less than ten days after I do this update (my nuMaps 'guarantee'), there's a new version out, but that's another story!

Anyway - I ended up telling the first-pass installer (the one which ran immediately after the 3GB download had finished) to install just UK and Ireland region when it told me choose a region because there wasn't enough space.

Later, I went into MapSource and told that to grab most of the countries I was interested in (most of Western Europe), and was able to download that all to the nuvi okay.

However... I noticed something 'odd' that maybe everyone knows about, but it seemed stupid to me that this can happen:

The 'installed' map (gmapprom.img) contained the choice I had made at the first dialog-box - UK & Ireland (I found this out by digging around with a Hex Editor, and seeing references to the UK & Ireland regional sub-files in there, towards the end of the file - Interestingly, there were also a handful of 'Northern France coastal files in there too).

Meanwhile, in the supplementary map which MapSource had downloaded (gmapsupp.img), I noticed that the UK & Ireland (and northern France) files were in in there AS WELL. Understandable, given that when I'd run MapSource, I just told it "I want most of Western Europe, including UK & Ireland" - assuming that it would be smart enough to figure out what was already on the nuvi, and download the most-efficient arrangement.

Clearly, MapSource is thick. Or maybe I am! Laughing Out Loud. Either way, I found that the I could go back into MapSource, and REMOVE UK & Ireland (plus the north France coastal areas) from my selection, and then download a SMALLER gmapsupp.img file to the nuvi, and yet all my chosen regions ended up on the Garmin, accessible and working.

So - if you're desperate for space, remember. DO NOT TELL MAPSOURCE TO HIGHLIGHT REGIONS YOU ALREADY HAVE ON YOUR 'BASE' INSTALL (the region you chose when it warned you about lack-of-space).

You can save a bundle of space this way. I think I clawed back in excess of a quarter of a gigabyte by doing this (and was able to move my 'western' europe boundary a little further east, and STILL have a combined smaller map-space usage than the original nuvi used at factory-rollout! - Obviously, some EU countries were absent completely, but I intend to put those on to an SD card, as-and-when I need them... but I don't go to the Ukraine or Finland much, so I don't expect it'll be any time soon!) Smile

Hope this helps!
SandLake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going a bit off topic now but I do think the whole process of upgrading maps is cumbersome, I have now done it twice in the last 2 weeks (2010.20 and 2010.30) and the first one was relatively easy but I wasn't able to get all the maps onto the device, the second I had to do I think 4 times before it would work at all - but I did get all the maps.

I have always felt that Garmin were trying overly hard to keep things locked down, I appreciate this is their revenue stream but if I am paying for something I don't expect to have to jump through hoops to get it to work (and keep working).

I find it very interesting that Nokia are now giving the same (Navteq) maps away for free, Garmin will have to become quite ingenious - which I am sure they can do!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: