Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 660FM firmware updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 660FM firmware updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothandnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 660FM firmware updates Reply with quote

I bought a refurbushed 660FM a bit over a year ago. Its been pretty good so far, and remembering the nightmares invovled in firmware updates with the i3 that I had before, I've not bothered with updating it.

However, I've hit a few problems when trying to simulate a route (on one 60 mile route, it locked up twice, both times when approaching a roundabout). While I was able to use 'detour' to get it past the obstacle, that rather defeats the purpose of simulating the route in the first place.

So I decided that maybe its time to update the firmware. I find that my unit has firmware 4.50, a bit out of date, since I see that 4.80 has just been released.

With the i3, I was able to regress to an earlier version of the firmware if an update didn't work as it should. However, to do that, I need access to multiple versions of the firmware, and some way of loading them.

I've only seen the Garmin webupdater, which will presumably only offer the most recent firmware. Is there an alternative way of loading firmware for the 660, and is there a collection of older firmware versions available anywhere?

Thanks....

Paul.
toothandnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I always seem to ask questions that nobody knows the answer to. Or something....

Anyhow, after some searching I've found a download location for the most recent firmware for the 660, which will allow me to avoid using the webupdater.

I'm still interested in knowing if there is a repository of older firmware versions for the 660, in case I hit problems with the latest firmware. Anyone?

Paul.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a website that holds many old firmwares here USE AT YOUR RISK

Secondly some unit were prevented from downgrading their firmwares a couple of years ago so a downgrade might not be advisable.
toothandnail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
There is a website that holds many old firmwares here USE AT YOUR RISK

Thanks for that. I will be cautious....

Quote:
Secondly some unit were prevented from downgrading their firmwares a couple of years ago so a downgrade might not be advisable.

Which sounds as though I should try one of the older versions instead of moving directly to the new version.

Are there any reconsiderations as to a good version? With the i3 it seemed to be pot luck as to what would work and what wouldn't.

Thanks for the response.

Paul.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from 4.8 back to 4.6 or your current 4.5 shouldn't present any problems that I've seen. What you always want to avoid is trying to go back a full-version number previous, i.e. a 4.x to a 3.x. Personally, if you elect to roll-back after updating to 4.8, I'd use your current version. 4.7 (or was it 4.6?) introduced an issue with some safety cameras as well as certain specific turn restrictions. I've seen no posts of issues with 4.8, but it was only released a few weeks ago.

Of course anytime you roll back applications, unforeseen problems can arise. Do so at your own risk.[/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: