Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Live 8 for walking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Live 8 for walking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: CoPilot Live 8 for walking Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting this for my new HTC Hero, but it would be primarily for use walking, as I already have a TomTom Go 540 for the car. Whenever I used Nokia maps on my old phone I found it had features specifically for walking (eg sound muted and "breadcrumb" trail, inclusion of alleyways etc) - can anyone comment on using CoPilot on foot? Also does it utilise the compass?
Thanks for any help.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read 2nd review and all questions answered - I would be keen though to hear from anyone using it for walking and how they find it?
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using it for walking around Nottingham at the weekend and it was totally unusable. It didnt update as we walked.....I had to keep re-setting the route. GPS reception was also very flakey.
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update I got CoPilot for my Hero and just used it on foot whilst in Copenhagen - it worked brilliantly. It took about 10 minutes to first lock on, but was instantaneous after that with great reception. Navigation was by and large good, and a connecting "as the crow flies" line made it easy to cut corners if the routing seemed flawed. The only major mistake it made was directing me a long way round as it didn't realise a bridge above could be accessed by stairs! However in 4 days it was a total replacement for coventional maps and all in all I would unhesitatingly recommend it for city use on foot. Battery life on my phone wasn't afftected too much either.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Ludicrous routing Reply with quote

I have just tried the on foot routing to go from my home to town. The first thing it did was take me out of my estate, across the main road to the opposite side, in and through another estate, back round to the road it should have been taking me before. In other words, it did a loop around and back, missing completely that there is a footpath alongside the main road for 200 yards, and instead crossing a dangerous road twice and doing an extra 300 yards. Shocked
Oh, and it does not know about the footpath that runs two doors from me straight into town saving 400 yards. The direction indicator would not help as you have to go 50 yards the wrong way first.

I got copilot trial with my HD2, and will not be buying it.
Its routing seems flakey which is why I left copilot when i had v6. It took wierd routes. Yesterday, using V8 to get me to a local golf club by car, is a case in point. Its route is 13m and 25 minutes, compared to the route I usually go using an old tomtom v6 which is 8 miles and 20mins. Confused
dbb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could have written the above post myself!
copilot looks cute - but the primary aim of satnav software is to provide the best route and copilot is just too unreliable for this.

i keep going back to Tom Tom. it may not have had any decent upgrades in a while - but it's routing engine is reliable!

i am also using telmap navigator which is reliable
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telmap navigator looks as if it is reliant on a good phone connection and an unlimited data plan...
But at £4.99 a month, that compares with an annual update of TomTOm's maps!
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: CPL routing hopeless for me Reply with quote

I'm really glad to read I'm not the only one with CPL routing problems. I too gave up on CPL at V6. My XDA Guide came with CPL7, but I didn't bother activating it, got TTN instead.

CPL support was useless too. When I asked why a route I planned myself was rated by CPL6 as shorter AND quicker than both the shortest and quickest routes it offered, they didn't bother to reply. I sent screenshots to prove my point - still no reply. Can only think they knew there was a problem and didn't have an answer.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copilot has the golf club in the wrong place, towards the left end of its access road, which has a 0 mph speed limit. SO copilot navigates by taking you to the road just across a field from the POI, rather than the true golf club, so it comes in a different route. CPL does not recognise the access road as usable, so it actually goes PAST IT, DOWN THE ROAD, BACK UP ANOTHER ROAD, AND STOPS ADJACENT TO THE GOLF COURSE AT A POINT YOU CANNOT GET IN!
Navigating to where the PGPSW POI is (as on my TT6) takes 9.6 miles and 23m.
Having said that, TT6 navigating to where the CPL POI is situate takes 9.4 miles and 24 mins., and uses the route I would actually take.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: