Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Corrupt Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2 DCT file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Corrupt Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2 DCT file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorsetbred
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Corrupt Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2 DCT file Reply with quote

I know what I'm gonna hear but I'll take it on the chin.
So last weekend my ONE IQ was hit with a TOMTOM firmware update for some reason.
Now as is the case the download barfed and screwed up the Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2 DCT file
How do I know, well I can't run update now as it complains of errors with the file and it's length is zero bytes instead of something like 132bytes.
Given I have no backup (I know hit me with it) I'm wondering my best approach.
Can I make my tomtom look blank and set it to download all the updates, hoping it will work this time and load a correct DCT file?
Can the file be copied and re-written?
Clues hint & tips like read the FAQ I'd be grateful for.

Thanks for advice for a newbie, who plans not to use HOME backup anymore, once I get it going again!!

Cheers
Dorsetbred
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to cut the file from you tomtom and save it on your pc (or rename it).
Then with the file missing fromt he unit connect upto Home and see if it will download the file again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your device will work fine if its the safety camera activation file thats got messed up, if its your map activation file thats got messed than its a different issue - when you switch the device on what message do you get on the screen? - Mike
dorsetbred
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Your device will work fine if its the safety camera activation file thats got messed up, if its your map activation file thats got messed than its a different issue - when you switch the device on what message do you get on the screen? - Mike

Mike the unit works fine it comes up with the startup logo and works as normal. I can even download from TOMTOM as long as I select NOT to include the Uk cameras, (maybe it's been nobbled by the GPS cam download Laughing )
So I figure it's not painful from that perspective, I just like things to work as they should, no glitches, and so it's bugging the heck out of me to fix it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to waste some time getting this working again give the following number a ring 0845 161 0009 but to be honest I wouldn't bother with the effort required to lift the handset let alone dial the number for a Safety camera activation issue - Its simply not worth the trouble - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the file isn't set to read only and try and delete it from your TT. If you can't delete it then try and run a scandisk with fix file system errors selected on your TT - it may fix it or at least you then might be able to delete it and try the download again.
dorsetbred
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. My son wants to use the Tt this weekend so any dabbling will now wait ntil Monday. I'll be back later.
dorsetbred
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the interesting reply I received from TomTom was to backup the corrupt file, format the TomTom and reload the corrupt file back again.
Now I thought that was an interesting approach!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Corrupt Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2 DCT file Reply with quote

dorsetbred wrote:
I know what I'm gonna hear but I'll take it on the chin.

Here's the chin bit, then. Forget the TomTom cameras, they're rubbish. I always gave this advice in the past, mostly from a not very substantial basis. But I have recently been using the TT cameras on my nice new XL Live IQ, using the free three month trial of Live services, including the cameras, comparing them to the pockegpsworld database which I had installed on another TT device alongside. Honestly, they really are a whole heap of doodoo! For the last six weeks, they've been showing average speed cameras on the M4 east of Swindon Jct 15 and the M5 north of junction 9 - cameras which have not been there since they were removed many weeks ago (NOT just a few days ago). They still had not a single one of the SIX sets of average speed cameras on M5/M6 up as far as Manchester just a few days ago. For your own good, disable them, I beg you.

The pocketgpsworld camera database is accurate, much more up to date and the camera sites are actually verified by live people. TomTom don't stand a chance beside them. Consider yourself lucky that they have stopped working - an inaccurate database is worse than no database.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Dennis, I did exactly the same for the pure amusement, although I ran both sets on the same device!

What I find useful though is to leave the TT Cameras enabled for just the Accident Blackspots on silent, so the icon flashes.

Other than that, as you said, total doodoo!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
What I find useful though is to leave the TT Cameras enabled for just the Accident Blackspots on silent, so the icon flashes.

Other than that, as you said, total doodoo!

Is that the exclamation mark icon? I wonder why it flashes on motorways?

Anyway, you surprise me, Andy. You've proved to yourself that the TT cameras are rubbish - what makes you have confidence in their accident blackspot locations? Confused

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True - they are probably total rubbish as well.

Maybe an idea to incorporate these in to the PGPSW database - anyone know of a reliable (non-copyrighted) source of this info?

Like this

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nscl.asp?ID=8094
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotta be kidding!

dorsetbred
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so here's my experience in trying to my quest for perfection.
I emailed Tomtom, who supplied me with a nice reply. I was to backup my unit format the unit and copy my files back on to having run the standard MS disk checks for bad sectors or corrupt data.
To this email I replied well if I backup the corrupt files, format and reload then the corrupt files are still there.
Ah good point, I received.
So what I want are the three UK specific cam files uncorrupted.
To which I was then supplied a URL to get these.
Added them, attached to home and et voila a perfect update.
I will of course thank them for their time and effort as they satisfied my need for perfection finally.
I DO of course accept that PocketGPS is a lot better and will run with these files, and clean up my Tom tom now it's correct.
The files that TT suggested I load are the latest and are actually dated 08/09, so of course they will never be as up to date and (in my opinion and that of those on this board) as accurate as PocketGPS.
My quest for perfection is over, now to get on living my life under PocketGPS, thanks for all advice, you know when you are on a good thing when people can tell you so much about the bad things Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: