Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Transferring favourites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferring favourites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Transferring favourites Reply with quote

Just a quick question.

Is there a quick way of transferring all my Favourites (addresses) (& possibly other stuff) from my old Garmin to a new one, or have I got to start again & put in all the names & addresses one by one? Sad

I cant seem to find anywhere in the unit where these files are stored.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen another post asking about transferring favourites from one device to another. Can't recall it exactly (but the answer WAS 'yes'). Try searching - I did and ALL search on 'garmin', 'favourites' and 'save' which you should find useful; try other searchers as well if necessary, it's there somewhere Shocked

For example, this Garmin forum thread might help
Quote:
back up
But there are plenty of others Mad !
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 255WT the favourites seem to be in the GPX folder, at the foot of the Current.gpx file.

Dales.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transferring favourites Reply with quote

freedy50 wrote:

Is there a quick way of transferring all my Favourites (addresses) (& possibly other stuff) from my old Garmin to a new one

The method varies a little, depending on the units involved.

Some of the old units (C3x0 etc) didn't mount in mass-storage mode, so you need to use something like EasyGPS or GPSBabel to rescue the Favourites. On most units though, a copy of the Favourites is written to \Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx when the unit boots (this file may also contain the latest track logs and loaded routes, where applicable).

It may be necessary to rename this file to somethingelse.gpx to get later units like the 7xx series to read it in. (It was always supposed to be an output file, but it used to be treated as input file as well - Garmin have now fixed this.)

Finally, units like the Nüvi 3xx series wrote the Favourite's address information into the 'comment' field, rather than the 'address' fields - so they need re-formatting before being loaded into newer units. (I know some software that can do that Very Happy )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: