Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom for Europe and North America
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom for Europe and North America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: TomTom for Europe and North America Reply with quote

My daughter would like a Sat Nav to use on occasional trips to North America, mainly New England, and possibly sometimes in Europe. She has already spent enough on hiring one to have purchased one. I could download the NA or New England map onto an SDHC card and loan her my 720, but was thinking of buying a device for her for Christmas.

Any advice please as to the most cost effective version? She wants no bells and whistles, just to be able to navigate. I'm looking at a TT as I understand them and still think they're the best.

Thanks

Keith
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get both maps onto a 4GB card.

Or you could use a 2GB card for UK/Europe and a similar one for North America.

If you do it this way you can buy a simpler, cheaper device that doesn't have all the bells and whistles of photos, FM transmitters and mp3.

Could be that a refurb model is the way to do it?

I was in a similar position a year ago and I did an upgrade to my old GO700. The GO700 came with a 2.5GB hard drive. Following advice on the forums, I swapped the drive for an 8GB CF card. This takes the Western & Central Europe map and the full N America map. If this is all you need a 4GB card would have done, but I have plans for adding Eastern Europe for a trip later in the year. Details of my "fix" is here in case you find a good, cheap secondhand 700 ... and buy her something else as a present! Smile
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the combination of hardware/software in this link ??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good deals on refurb 720/730 models these days, or any older ONE or XL that still has an SD card slot would do, if you want to swap maps easily.

Otherwise any model should be able to fit one map onto it, and you would then have to back that map up onto the PC and replace it with another as required - more fiddly, but do-able.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, I had thought about the One IQ Routes but I'm not sure she'll want to start swapping maps to & from her PC. Maybe a refurb 720 will be the best bet.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My normal map (obviously) is the NA_2gb map which resides on a sdhc card. When my wife needed the 720 for a trip to Europe, I just purchased the WE map and put it on a second card. So, it's just pop out one card, put in another, depending upon the location.

Not really much of a bother.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice, I've decided to download the NA map onto an SDHC card and loan her my 720 as she only needs it for a couple of weeks per year.

But I recall threads (which I can't find at present) where some people have had problems because HOME has tried to download the new map to both the card and the internal memory then says there isn't enough room, even though they have selected the card not the internal memory.

If I have remembered that correctly, does anyone know how to ensure that it only tries to install on the card. Is it possible for instance to use the card reader on the laptop?

Thanks for any help and apologies if this has been covered. I just couldn't find it on a search.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can purchase/ download the map then use Windows Explorer to extract the files from the download to wherever you want be it a folder on the PC or the memory card, the download will contain two zipped files, the large one contains all the mapping files, the other very small one is the map activation file which you also need to put in the North_Americ map folder.
WRT to the One IQ units, these are far from ideal for swapping map files around to/ from the computer as they are only USB1 so it can take quite some considerable time each occasion you need to swap a map. Longer term look out for a refurb 920 or 930 as with these units you get Western Europe and North America on the same device - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Mike, I had decided to point her towards the refurbed 930 at TotalPDA in case she wants to buy her own, but she would only use it once a year so I'll offer to lend her my 720 if she purchases the map so I can put it on a card for her.

I presume I'll find the zipped map files in the HOME folders on my PC once I've downloaded it if it decides to try to install it on both the device and the SD card..
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following my last post, I've now found Cyrano's thread including DHN's instructions. Thanks again
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this rate you will soon be running multiple Navcore software depending upon which SD card you have inserted to the unit, keep a full back up of the new North America map folder on your PC and a copy on DVD just in case, this makes it easy to transfer files/ folders as an when required using Windows Explorer - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
At this rate you will soon be running multiple Navcore software depending upon which SD card you have inserted to the unit, keep a full back up of the new North America map folder on your PC and a copy on DVD just in case, this makes it easy to transfer files/ folders as an when required using Windows Explorer - Mike
I wasn't planning on putting the application on the card Mike. Maybe I'm easily satisfied but I'm almost completely happy with 8.351. I'd prefer a little more volume and for the link to car speed to work. But it isn't too bad at 90%.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: