Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The importance of making backups
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The importance of making backups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: The importance of making backups Reply with quote

I realize I posted this on the NA forum but thought it was worth mentioning on this forum as well

For those of you that haven’t made a back up!

Here is something that happened to me yesterday that without an Explorer backup could have made my 920 a paperweight.

When I tried to turn my unit on it would freeze at the start up screen it wouldn’t connect to the computer or go into navigation mode, or for that mater it wouldn’t turn off.

After trying several pin resets with no luck I finally copied one of my most recent backups to my SD card (via card reader) then inserted the card in my 920 and booted it up that way.
(I have had my 920 for 18 mts now and I keep at least two different Explorer backups)

I was then able to go into my computer and format my internal memory
(I did this a couple of times in fat 32 mode to be sure)

I then went in dos mode and did a check disk on my unit.

Then I copied my most recent backup (app & map) to my unit then turned my unit of, removed the card and turned my unit on again and all is well.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A similar argument could be used to suggest never buy a device that only has internal memory. If yours did not have a card there would have been no way to use your backup.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi garcor
I quite agree with you on the importance of making Backups. I have quite a few Backups all catalogued and each is ready to restore to my device should the necessity ever arise. Mind you, I know that I have gone a little over the top and I will dump most of them when I get around to it.
However, to carry out a Format is a different kettle of fish altogether, simple when at home in front of the computer but next to impossible when out in the field. Now, if there was away to carry out a Format and then restore from a card when half way along the Khyber Pass I really would feel in control of my 720.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
A similar argument could be used to suggest never buy a device that only has internal memory. If yours did not have a card there would have been no way to use your backup.

Very true ! It would have become an expencive paper weight,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: