Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - what camera download should i choose ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

what camera download should i choose ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
figero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: what camera download should i choose ? Reply with quote

hi folks i have just purchased to download a new camera software to my tom tom go630, but i dont know what one i should download?

i live in france and looking at the choices i assume THE LISTING go series x30 IS for the go630 is that correct.

excuse me if the answer is obvious but i have only had the gps for one week and i am one of those dreaded new boys

regards bob
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi figero, and welcome.

For use on my TT Go730 in Spain I select -

SatNav System - TomTom OV2

Continue

Camera Selections - EUR Speed Zoned Complete

Download.

Download them onto your computer and then Unzip them. Cut and Paste them into your Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB map folder.

In use, the RED colour roundals do not show on the screen of your SarNav, A fix is in hand but until it is available on general release you will have to download the additional 22x22 and 44x44 icons for EUROPE from GerryC by clicking on "Free POI's & More" above, selecting "Customise Your SatNav" and then clicking on the link in the middle of the page.

You may also want to download and install additional voices for SafetyCam alerts from the same page. I use Andy Siddell, EU Speed Zoned.

Regards, AliOnHols.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
figero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordon bennet im confused already and i havent even downloaded anything yet. i dident even know i had a map folder etc. im a bit concerned now about attempting to download anything as the operating system of my computer is in french and notbeing able to fully read the language is a struggle finding anything simple, never mind looking for a file where i have no idea where it is likely to be? anyway if i end up with nothing on my go630 and end up loosing the download, will i have to pay for another subscription to get the package again?

regards bob
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have a full backup of the TomTom device stored on your computer, this can be made using the TomTom Home software or preferably using Windows Explorer.

As for the camera database downloads, you can make as many as you want within the 12 month subscription period so if it disapears from your PC don't worry about it and download another copy, the database is updated every week so it pays to download it regularly to keep your installation up to date.

There are installation guides and even a video guide to assist with the installation of the database, these can be found if you scroll down the Speed Camera database downloads page, there is a large coloured table, find the line (s) for TomTom and have a look at those to start with - Mike
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figero.
It seems a bit daunting at first but it soon becomes second nature. mikealder is right in saying that the first thing you must do is to make a full backup of your TomTom and store it on your computer before you make any changes. This way if anything does go wrong, you will be able to get back to the original settings. Do NOT use TomTom HOME for this, use Windows Explorer instead.

Click on the link above in BOLD type "Tom Tom Portable Navigation Devices", then choose the 7th item in the list "Sticky - Tom Tom FAQ's".

Have a good read through these to get a feel for what options you have.

Post back if you need help on any of the items.

Regards.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figero wrote:
... the operating system of my computer is in french and notbeing able to fully read the language ....

If you tap the main screen of your TomTom you will see a Menu, click on the 2nd icon on the bottom row "Change Preferences" (or whatever the French equivalent is), scroll through the menu pages by touching the Orange Arrow until you find an icon showing two or three flags which will allow you to change the TomTom language. On my Go730, this icon is on page 8 of 8.

Select "English Uk" and then click "Done" to return to the main navigation page.

Hopefully, this will make things a bit easier from here on in.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
figero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the language problem is not with the gps, that is operating in english, my problem is that my laptop was bought in france and the operating language is french. this makes the easiest of tasks really difficult as i do not understand the written word. it has been suggested that i can change the operating language to english; but i dont know how to do that at the moment.

withregard to downloading this software onto my 630, i seem to be going to the wrong place i think as when i click SPEED CAMERAS DOWNLOAD HERE i cant seem to get anything but a compatability chart and when i click on the tt series x30 WHICH I ASSUME is for the go630, when the page comes up it mentions a list of tt but mine is not included.

what am i doing wrong
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figero wrote:
the language problem is not with the gps, that is operating in english, my problem is that my laptop was bought in france and the operating language is french .....

Sorry figero, I should learn to read more thoroughly.

figero wrote:
... when i click SPEED CAMERAS DOWNLOAD HERE i cant seem to get anything but a compatability chart and when i click on the tt series x30 WHICH I ASSUME is for the go630, when the page comes up it mentions a list of tt but mine is not included.
what am i doing wrong

Immediately above the Compatibility chart you should be able to see another section entitled Downloading the Database and a drop-down box.
It is here you select your downloads.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

figero wrote:

withr egard to downloading this software onto my 630, i seem to be going to the wrong place i think as when i click SPEED CAMERAS DOWNLOAD HERE i cant seem to get anything but a compatability chart and when i click on the tt series x30 WHICH I ASSUME is for the go630, when the page comes up it mentions a list of tt but mine is not included.

The TT 630 was not released at the same time as all the other x30 models, and the list that you can see was written some time ago. Speed Cameras/POIs are added to all current TT models in the same way, so yes, it will be fine for the 630.

If you don't see the "Downloading the Database" section as described by AliOnHols above, is it possible that you aren't logged in at this point?
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What operating system is your laptop using? XP/Vista?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
........ this can be made using the TomTom Home software or preferably using Windows Explorer......

AliOnHols wrote:
....Do NOT use TomTom HOME for this, use Windows Explorer instead.....

Hi mikealder, I am just re-reading this thread and I notice that it sounds like I am going against your advice. That was not my intention.

My eye-lids were probably a bit heavier than usual last night.

Regards, AliOnHols.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are both sending the same message, for some strange reason I was unusually polite towards TomTom Home software when I wrote that last night! Perhaps I was the one who was half asleep Laughing

Simple facts are TomTom Home can be used to make a backup of the device BUT its far from reliable which is why we advise people to use Windows Explorer - Mike
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think we have scared figero off? I hope we haven't. Sad

A thought occurred to me today, If figero only joined yesterday, would his subscription have cleared the same day? May be the site wasn't recognising him as a member and not presenting him with the option of downloading the database.

Is this possible?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
figero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi boys im back and no you havent scared me off. the more i look over this sight the more i can see i am in very good hands indeed. however it is just a case that i am being very wary about downloading the software at this point. not that i dont trust your service but i dont trust my ability to transfer this stuff onto my computer.

as explained before i live in france buy i am not up to speed with my french especially the written word and as mentioned before my computer language is french. to the post that aske what my system is, it is VISTA.

anyway that is why i am holding off from the download at the moment. i have watched the video clip about the download and it is very well put together and very easy to follow, so once i have figuered out what the french terms are for where the files are located etc then i will be away.

by the way i paid by visa so my subcription was up and running straight away. great site guys im glad i found you.

i must back this backup you are all talking about but again as it has been suggested to back up to the computer and not tt home, this is another little problem for me to figure out how to do this with a french operating langauge. i should have bought a english laptop but it was not at the time on my mind that i would not have an immedieate choice of setting the langauge when i turned on the pewter. stupid me i should have thought a bit more before i bought and probably if i had known it xas going to be an issue, i expect the shop would have changed the langauge over for me.

anyway im going to watch the vid again and try to copy down the download process and then look through my pewter files and see if i can work out the process.

thanks again for your help everyone hope to speak soon with good news

figero
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi figaro,

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-GB/help/2bac0e03-c331-48fc-8b7e-b66b8007512d1033.mspx. Says
Quote:
Change the display language
Applies to all editions of Windows Vista.
Which edition of Windows Vista am I using?

The display language is the language that Windows uses in wizards, dialog boxes, menus, Help and Support topics, and other items in the user interface. Some display languages are installed by default, and others require you to install additional language files. When you change the display language, it is changed for your user account and is not changed on the Welcome screen. If you want to set the display language for multiple users or the Welcome screen, see Apply regional and language settings to reserved accounts.

1. Open Regional and Language Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Regional and Language Options.

2. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.

3. Under Display language, choose a language from the list, and then click OK.

NoteIf you don't see the list of display languages, you need to install additional language files first. For more information, see Install a display language.

When you change the display language, the text in menus and dialog boxes for some programs might not be in the language that you want. This happens because the program might not support Unicode. For more information about changing the text in menus and dialog boxes for programs that do not support Unicode, see Change the system locale.

See also
How do I get additional language files?
Change your input language
What can I do with regional formats and languages?
Default__elbasuer__DefaultA predefined setting. You can accept the default option settings, or you can change them to suit your own preferences. Welcome screen__elbasuer__Welcome screenThe first screen that appears when you turn on Windows. The Welcome screen lists all of the accounts on the computer. Unicode__elbasuer__UnicodeA character encoding standard that defines a set of letters, numbers, and symbols that represent almost all of the written languages in the world.

If youi're having trouble translating the instructions into french try http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: