Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC is it working!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC is it working!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: RDS-TMC is it working! Reply with quote

Can anyone please tell me how do I check if the RDS-TMC device is working on a 940 live unit.

I know HD Traffic is working but cannot seem to turn off that to check if the RDS thingy is working, any tips please.

Thanks

n0v
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you can whilst the HD Traffic is on....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few ways to check the RDS-TMC is working but non of them are very easy:

1/ Pull the SIM card out, far from easy and will invalidate your warranty
2/ Drive to a location devoid of Vodafone signal coverage.
3/ Wait until your subscription expires
4/ Take it abroad before roaming is enabled

Non are ideal, but they are the only ways I know of to check this out - Mike
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, a couple of suggestions:

If you are out of the free trial and have registered (i.e. paid) for the Live Service, what would happen if you were to change the user name or password? That would switch off the HD wouldn't it.
Would you have any problems once you re-enter the correct user name & password again?

Also Mike, to get it out of signal, would wrapping it in tinfoil help?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
If you are out of the free trial and have registered (i.e. paid) for the Live Service, what would happen if you were to change the user name or password? That would switch off the HD wouldn't it.

Logic would dictate this should work, but due to my next answer I decidided againt suggesting this

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Would you have any problems once you re-enter the correct user name & password again?

I have no way of knowing if an account can be reactivated and if the e-mail account/ password on a device is locked to the hardware changing it might mess up the account on the TT server, the whole process of Live accounts and activation isn't too hot so throwing in a low ball by changing the account could screw up the main account that is/ was working.

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Also Mike, to get it out of signal, would wrapping it in tinfoil help?
If you are already in a marginal signal area a tin hat might work, if it disables the GPS feed the device won't know whre it is so it should throw an error 108 code and revert back to alternate traffic signals such as RDS when the receiver is connected. Its easier to kill the GPS signal with tin foil than the GPRS modem - Mike
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get the "TT Live Connection status" screen to go from 3 bars to disconnected by putting my 940 into 2 antistatic/electrostatic bags (the type hard drive come in). You can still see/touch the screen!
It also kills the GPS signal. Will you get any traffic if the 940 doesn't know where it is?
In order to connect the RDS-TMC receiver you'd need to have the car mount attached to the 940? Larger bags required! Would the wire of the receiver act as conduit for the signal for the GPRS?

I don't have an RDS-TMC receiver to test with!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit should pick up RDS-TMC if the aerial wire is outside the bag, and as this signal is based upon FM transmissions it won't need (or use) the GPS signal.
You can get the round connector style RDS-TMC receiver for around £7 at Currys as they seem to be off loading them at the moment, but you then need the accessory mount for the x40 in order to connect it - Mike
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The unit should pick up RDS-TMC if the aerial wire is outside the bag, and as this signal is based upon FM transmissions it won't need (or use) the GPS signal.
You can get the round connector style RDS-TMC receiver for around £7 at Currys as they seem to be off loading them at the moment, but you then need the accessory mount for the x40 in order to connect it - Mike
Ah, that's interesting! I saw that thread, but I thought that the x40s could only use the USB receiver.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the accessory mount for the x40 which offers the extra connections then you can use the round style plug RDS-TMC device with an x40 device.
My 940 is dock is currently connected to one of these, although I have also taken the option to connect the RDS device to the car aerial to boost signal reception see Here It works fine with no issues, if you only have the standard dock supplied with the device then the Mini USB receiver is the only option.

Accessory dock £25
Round RDS-TMC £7

Mini USB TMC £50

do the maths and it doesn't take too long to work out Wink - Mike
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

mini USB TMC here for £18.43 + p&p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-9V00-101-RDS-TMC-Traffic-Receiver/dp/B0019JDDB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244362590&sr=8-1

which helps if people cannot get the currys bargin anymore.

n0v
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning when I turned the tomtom on I got a green arrow in the top right of the screen.

I think this is the TMC as it took about 2 mins for the sim to connect to live services (bad area for mobile reception) and as soon as it connected the arrow went and it said RDS-TMC disconnected.

So it seems it works, or at least that is all I can to to make me believe it works.

n0v
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious as to the reasons for wanting to use the TMC on the 940? I have found the information very lacking compared to the HD traffic.

My interest in it is to gain coverage in France before "HD Traffic abroad" starts working but I expect it will not cover the relatively minor D roads (mainly the 940) I drive on.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I am curious as to the reasons for wanting to use the TMC on the 940? I have found the information very lacking compared to the HD traffic.

Due to the way the HD system works you only get warned if the traffic flow slows down below that embeded in the IQ-2 Routes data, so if 25 miles of traffic moving at 10MPH is normal you get no warning, the device should pick a better route in the planning stage due to the IQ-2 data but this isn't always the case from what I have seen (Friday afternoons on the M6 and surrounding roads are usually a mess).

With RDS data you do get to see the holdups and this can be handy when deciding whether to go M6 South or M61/ M60/ M6 South due to traffic flow, the increase in distance (some 15 miles) is too much for the 940 to accept as a potentially viable route and is one I use quite often when the M6 is a mess.
Combine the above with a 940 that has no Live services I don't need two Live devices in the same car, the 940 subscription has lapsed and I have another unit in the car which has a Live connection - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: