Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 865T Routing Problem - off and straight back on motorway!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

865T Routing Problem - off and straight back on motorway!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clivebryden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: 865T Routing Problem - off and straight back on motorway!! Reply with quote

Can anyone help with a routing problem that I'm experiencing with a Garmin 865T? The problem is that I'm often directed off a motorway and then straight back onto it again? This has happened more than once at various locations and on various motorways. It's really frustrating and I have lost all confidence in its routing ability.

The device is set to provide the fastest route and being directed off a motorway, around the roundabout, held up at traffic lights certainly isn’t the fastest route! I could understand it suggesting this sort of route if the device was set to provide the shortest route but in all instances that this has happened the motorway is still clearly the shortest distance?

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and does anyone else know how to stop it doing this.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

This has been reported in previous models and maps. It seems to be a quirk of the map where the slip road / roundabout / slip road is technically faster (obviously not taking into account the traffic lights and queueing trafic)... Crying or Very sad

I'm not sure there is a "fix" as such.

Can you give any specific examples i can try here?
clivebryden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your response.

One example is if you set a route down the A3 from the Kingston Bypass / Hook Underpass towards the M25 / Guildford it directs you off the A3 at Cobham (A244) and then straight back onto the A3 again.

Another is if you set a route towards the M4 from Bracknell down the A329 (M) it takes you off at the Coppid Beech Roundabout and then straight back onto the A329 (M) again?

Hope these are the examples you were asking for Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hope these are the examples you were asking for

Thanks. Exactly what i wanted. I'll try them later.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have your unit but I have found serious faults with the CityNavigator 2009 mapping on my units. To get realistic routes I have to remove all OPTIONs within Mapsource and the units ie-'fastest' and all 'avoids'.

This problem only appeared in 2009 mapping.
clivebryden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map installed on my unit is CN Europe NT 2010.10. I have just bought the unit (2 weeks ago) and can't say that this did or didn’t happen before I did the map upgrade. Guess what I'm trying to say is that it could be related to the 2010 map but I'm not certain of this (although the last post says there are/were problems with the 2009 map)?
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences between the 2009 and the 2010 cannot be very much as the 2009 DVD update was only available in January 2009.

As soon as I updated I got problems with routing - only corrected by removing certain options and avoids. Sad
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 865T Routing Problem - off and straight back on motorway Reply with quote

clivebryden wrote:
Can anyone help with a routing problem that I'm experiencing with a Garmin 865T? The problem is that I'm often directed off a motorway and then straight back onto it again? .

I have the same "problem" with my 760T and it also used to happen with my previous Blue Media SatNav. I suspect therefore it is map related as both use NavTeq
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to reproduce the problem and i haven't experienced it either, but i know other have.

Did you have the TMC plugged in at the time?
clivebryden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I can't seem to reproduce the problem and i haven't experienced it either, but i know other have.

I can't reproduce either if I simulate the route but I tried an actual drive and it was adamant that I should go off the A3 at Cobham and go straight back on again?

Quote:
Did you have the TMC plugged in at the time?

Yes - I'll try again over the weekend without it plugged in to see if it makes a difference.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ViaMichelin's had this problem but I think they used Teleatlas so it may be a programming error.
clivebryden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - tried over the weekend without the TMC connected and the routing was correct i.e. it didn’t direct me off and then back on again. Connected the TMC and did another run and was surprised to see that the routing was still correct?

Therefore what I'm putting this down to is not hard resetting after the Map Upgrade and now that I have performed the hard reset (as suggested by other posts in this forum) it's all sorted itself out. The other problem that I was having was the devices was freezing (locking up) which has also disappeared since the hard reset.

Thanks to everyone for their input, especially PaulB2005, I'm holding thumbs that the hard reset has sorted it Confused
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 765T and have encountered this. I did a hard reset a couple of weeks ago. The setting is on quickest. I was trying to get to Woldingham and the 'proper' route is M25, A22 to Caterham, turn right at roundabout etc. The 765T took me towards Oxted and then up some single track unlisted roads. Apart from taking substantially longer, it was very scenic!
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you do a "hard reset" on a 770 please, the search function reveals nothing......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: