Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - QuickGPS Fix absent?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

QuickGPS Fix absent?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: QuickGPS Fix absent? Reply with quote

hi
both my son and i own tomtom ONE IQ route sat navs. mine is for europe and his is uk.
when i connect mine to tomtom home 2 it allows me to download map corrections AND QuickGPS Fix.
when i connect his to his own tomtom home account it only offers map corrections and NOT the option to download QuickGPS Fix.
is there any reason for this or is this feature not enabled on a uk version unit?
second question please - is it normal that after downloading the camera database from this site that it takes ages on both units to attach onto the satalittes and get your location recognised by the unit?
thank you.

Last edited by tonygold on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the second question. Are trying to get satellite lock indoors? Adding / removing the PGPSW database will not affect satellite acquisition times in any way.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Re the second question. Are trying to get satellite lock indoors? Adding / removing the PGPSW database will not affect satellite acquisition times in any way.

hi paul
thanks for reply. yes it is indoors but normally it aquires the positions quite quickly indoors, it just seems after a camera update it takes a lot longer? maybe as the satalite co ordinates appear to be wiped back to all zeros after an update?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding POIs has no effect on the Satellite Lock, QuickStart Data, Almanac or Ephemeris data.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you connect your TT to the PC, do you use Home (or does it load)? I've noticed mine can take longer as it appears to 'reset' something and takes longer to find the satellites next time. As Paul said, the update itself won't be the cause.

I wouldn't worry about QuickGPS not being an option. I don't downloaded it. It's supposed to make locking onto the satellites quicker but I've never noticed a difference (granted I've got a good amount of sky visible from where I park the car).
Brodit ProClip mount
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Adding POIs has no effect on the Satellite Lock, QuickStart Data, Almanac or Ephemeris data.

thanks darren
just wondered if the co ordinates always revert to zero when powered off or just after a camera update and thought that may be the reason that it is slower to lock onto a signal.
any ideas about my first point about the missing QuickGPS Fix issue?
thanks.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the delay is because on a normal power-on the unit is coming out of standby and after connecting to the computer it always does a full system restart.

Last edited by MrT on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:

Assuming the ONE is the same as the 720, is there an "ephem" folder in the root of your son's device?

If not create one using Windows Explorer and you should get offered the QuickGPSFix next time you connect to Home.
Samsung Galaxy S21
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
When you connect your TT to the PC, do you use Home (or does it load)? I've noticed mine can take longer as it appears to 'reset' something and takes longer to find the satellites next time. As Paul said, the update itself won't be the cause.

I wouldn't worry about QuickGPS not being an option. I don't downloaded it. It's supposed to make locking onto the satellites quicker but I've never noticed a difference (granted I've got a good amount of sky visible from where I park the car).

hi gerry
when connecting to home, i load it from my programs menu.
the QuickGPS Fix i can live without, but was just curious as to why i geet the option to download it but when connecting my son's identical (albeit uk) unit it doesn't give me the option.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the One but I assume its menu's are similar to the Go range, but if you go into the menu, TomTom services, next page, there is an option to download GPS QuickFix, have you tried this, it might make the device try and download it next time it is connected to the internet.

I also have noticed that if I use the device for a while where I cannot get a GPS signal, the next time I go into the car it can take a long time to get a lock, it shows many satellites fairly quickly but an actual lock can take some time. I assume from this when it does not get a lock indoors after a certain time it resets or overwrites the satellite tables and needs to rebuild these next time it is used.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
tonygold wrote:

Assuming the ONE is the same as the 720, is there an "ephem" folder in the root of your son's device?

If not create one using Windows Explorer and you should get offered the QuickGPSFix next time you connect to Home.

many thanks anita
i will try that idea.
tony.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
Anita wrote:
tonygold wrote:

many thanks anita
i will try that idea.
tony.

right,i have connected my son's tomtom to the pc and it definately DOES have an 'ephem' folder on it.
any other suggestions pls.
thank you.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
tonygold wrote:
Anita wrote:
tonygold wrote:

many thanks anita
i will try that idea.
tony.

right,i have connected my son's tomtom to the pc and it definately DOES have an 'ephem' folder on it.
any other suggestions pls.
thank you.

Connect the unit to HOME then on the 1st page click on the Add Traffic etc,
then on page 4 click on Items on my computer. If the QuickGPSFix is there then just add it to your unit. It should then give you the option to update it next time you connect to HOME.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re your question one about the missing GPSQuickfix downloads:

I thought Anita was on to it when she mentioned the "ephem" folder but there's more you need to do....

Open the "ephem" folder on the Go and DELETE all the contents.

Then go to Home's downloads folder on the PC (normally C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete).
Inside that you'll find a folder called "ephemeris". Delete the contents of that folder as well.

Next time you connect to Home, it should start downloading the GPS Quickfix data again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: